6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Call All Experts On ECT vs EOT Spread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call All Experts On ECT vs EOT Spread

- I know about the test on the Oil cooler with carefully do a WOT, drive 65 mph, temp. speard 15*... I think I even read it in the workshop manual. So, with that out of the way.

- Most people with good oil cooler says their truck stay around 10* spread even towing up long incline...

- Bismic/Mark, you say not to worry until the oil temp pass 220*

What do you think about the condition of my oil cooler? These data were taking on 12 May 2012 with outside temp. around 97* to 100*. These data wer not taken on level highway. There isn't any level highway in Las Vegas for long distance to really take the correct test.

ECT EOT
198* 215* HW at 75 mph on I 15 North away from Las Vegas toward Utah
190 212 HW at 75 mph
197 214 75 mph
193 211 45 to 50 mph

186 203 35 to 45 mph Toward Lake Mead, Valley of Fire
191 214 35 to 55 mph

195 221 up hill driving away from Hoover Damn toward LV
193 220 Same road as above driving toward Las Vegas
190 218 Some what level Highway before exist to my house.

Do you think to be safe, change the oil cooler now and stop thinking about it, or can I wait and do a 1,500 miles round trip this July/August?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time to do it. Those splits are pretty big...

Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great walk through of the entire process here in a playlist of 7 videos on youtube. Sounds like you do have to replace the oil cooler.

6.0lit Powerstroke Head Gasket Teaser - Intro - YouTube

Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Thank You Colm

Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
VQT - do you have an EGR cooler delete?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dlibson
Time to do it. Those splits are pretty big...

X-2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I drove last summer down to Mesquite Nevada from Salt Lake Utah Truck Loaded with all my tools Saws,Compressors, bunch of Material as well. It wasnt Heavey maybe 1K total Cargo load caused more Wind Drag than anything

Ambeint was 115*

I was right at a 8-10* spread ECT vs EOT at all Times Uphill Downhill at 60mph-90mph whatever the conditions were Deltas stayed 8-10*

But keep in mind at that time my Oil Cooler was just changed and only had around 5K miles on new oil cooler. And 15K since the Oil Cooler still hangs same Deltas.

I guess what Im saying is you want to Flush cooling system good and run a coolant filter to avoid a repeat Oil Cooler Pluging. Oh FYI most shops WILL NOT flush a cooling system as thuro/repeated times as some trucks need to come clean. IMO it was worth it to me to spend extra time Flushing the coolant system clean to attempt to avoid future Failure.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bismic
VQT - do you have an EGR cooler delete?
Had this truck since Dec 2011, no plan on EGR delete, don't know if I should since they do smog check here in Nevada.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
You also shouldnt go by say a EOT 220* like you mention

True that this temp the Oil is fine and not cooking ****

But its the Fact that your beyond a 15* ECT vs EOT Temp Spread and the Oil Cooler is plugging on the Coolant Half. So with Blocked coolant ports in the oil cooler no Coolant is getting to EGR Cooler and the reduction of flow could have a negative affect on coolant flow threw the Heads Block ect.......... I know EGR & Oil Cooler coolant flow is a Bypass so to say but whoes to say only those parts in that Loop are affected

Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
VQT - Thats what I thought. If you go back to my statements in the thread where I mentioned 220 degrees EOT, you will see that I prefaced it with the statement "since you (the other thread starter) have an EGR delete" ........... I was trying to be clear on that point!

A big part of the problem with the oil cooler plugging is that it restricts the EGR cooler's coolant flow (and the EGR cooler has a high heat load). This adds stress to the EGR cooler and can cause it to fail.

I will never say that it is OK to ignore the 15 degree spec if you still have an EGR cooler (even if it is a BPD cooler and I am impressed with how well built they are).

You have a restricted oil cooler and it needs to be changed.

Making sure the details are communicated over the internet sometimes proves to be a challenge!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:11 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Benny - a restricted oil cooler does not mean that NO flow is getting to the EGR cooler. If that were true, then no flow would be going through the oil cooler either.

That being said, I will again emphasize that I stated 220 degrees (in the other thread) based on NO EGR cooler being present.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Benny,

I install the coolant filter already right after the first coolant flush in March. Since march, I have clean the block three times, twice with 1/2 gal restore and 1/2 gal restore plus. Back fush the oil cooler close to 3 hours. Right now it has 3.5 gallons of Delo ELC concentrate. how much more flushing are you suggesting and what type before I tear it down?

Still waiting for the water bill to come in

Thanks,

Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Thats what I thought. If you go back to my statements in the thread where I mentioned 220 degrees EOT, you will see that I prefaced it with the statement "since you (the other thread starter) have an EGR delete" ...........

Making sure the details are communicated over the internet sometimes proves to be a challenge!
Thanks Mark,

That's why I want to make sure I understand all the issues particular to my engine set up.

Thanks again for clear that up for me.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Benny - a restricted oil cooler does not mean that NO flow is getting to the EGR cooler. If that were true, then no flow would be going through the oil cooler either.

That being said, I will again emphasize that I stated 220 degrees (in the other thread) based on NO EGR cooler being present.

Yes Sir Right with Ya^^^ I know exactly what your getting at just the OP might not. Just the way he posted all his temps and inquired about the EOT 220* I suspect he not quite on the same page as You

With EGR Cooler Gone the Main Ticking Time BOMB is out of the equation and a guy could push it futher

I guess I just mean it was designed with a Oil Cooler so EGR Cooler or Not we still want a Functioning Oil Cooler so same Delta rules apply to see oil cooler health Cheezit mentioned it the other day that a plugged oil cooler could affect flow in other areas

People see that EOT 220* as ok and some situations it is OK and other situations its NOT OK
like a ECT of 210* with EOT of 220* would be fine even 230* EOT is fine as long as ECT was within 15*

IMO a ECT vs EOT delta of more than 15-20* apart Overrides any other Temp Operating Value and needs repaired

Just trying to bring him upto speed

Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by VQT
Benny,

I install the coolant filter already right after the first coolant flush in March. Since march, I have clean the block three times, twice with 1/2 gal restore and 1/2 gal restore plus. Back fush the oil cooler close to 3 hours. Right now it has 3.5 gallons of Delo ELC concentrate. how much more flushing are you suggesting and what type before I tear it down?

Still waiting for the water bill to come in

Thanks,

Great^^^^ I didnt know you have been working at it just trying to save you a down the road Headache

Iv seen Folks come here on there 4th Oil Cooler Bad Mouthing Ford and the works bad design

But come to find out the MAJOIRITY of repeat Oil Cooler failures have NEVER had the Cooling system Flushed and cleaned out good so the repairs just were not done right

Alot of the repeat oil cooler Failures have come from shops and I beleive some of these shops know dang well the cooling system needs flushed but they only install another oil cooler knowing its going to plug again down the road and you will be back for another oil cooler its Job security

Old 05-18-2012, 11:08 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Benny,

Am I good to go at this point to just prepare to do the oil cooler replacement or should I flush some more? What kind of flush?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Call All Experts On ECT vs EOT Spread