6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

PLEASE HELP!!!Vacuum Pump? Spitting and sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM
martinkjc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE HELP!!!Vacuum Pump? Spitting and sputtering

So I have some lines going to my vacuum pump and the white tipped part of the pump has no line going to it, is this normal? Also right behind the passenger side battery is another box that has some lines to it and under where the lines connect says VAC. This box also has some lines connected that are red and black but have nothing attached to them. Is this normal as well. I also have a picture of a harness that runs above the wheel well that is not connected and I am unsure of where it goes. If you have any help i would greatly appreciate it. The problems with the truck include, spitting or sputtering at around 85-120 kmph while cruising. I also had the code of my TCS but I have the tow/haul option on my truck. And when accelerating from 0 it seems like it doesn't want to go. Shes been scanned and had the ficm run on the Snap-On Verdict scanner along with a contribution test and shows nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can email pictures of the three things if need or post them but I do not know how to. Thanks everyone

Last edited by martinkjc; 05-02-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Severity of issue, no replies.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
martinkjc
Freshman User
if this is too vague i can try to explain more in detail

Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
martinkjc
Freshman User
Exclamation

Bump. Any input guys please

Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by martinkjc
So I have some lines going to my vacuum pump and the white tipped part of the pump has no line going to it, is this normal? Also right behind the passenger side battery is another box that has some lines to it and under where the lines connect says VAC. This box also has some lines connected that are red and black but have nothing attached to them. Is this normal as well. I also have a picture of a harness that runs above the wheel well that is not connected and I am unsure of where it goes. If you have any help i would greatly appreciate it. The problems with the truck include, spitting or sputtering at around 85-120 kmph while cruising. I also had the code of my TCS but I have the tow/haul option on my truck. And when accelerating from 0 it seems like it doesn't want to go. Shes been scanned and had the ficm run on the Snap-On Verdict scanner along with a contribution test and shows nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can email pictures of the three things if need or post them but I do not know how to. Thanks everyone
OK Vaccume pump won't have anything to do with running problems. As far as the white plastic part goes there isn't supposed to be anything there. With the other lines your talking about I would need to see the pics to determine where they go. Can you email the pics to me thomasbergeron @ ymail . com

What year is the truck, 4x4 or 2x4? what code did you get for the TCS? and what is a TCS for that matter? sputtering/spitting could be lots of things. Will need to look at some pids while it's going on. Also IDK if the snap-on scanner will pickup the enhanced functions or not, but I have a buddy that uses it on says it's not very good for 6.0 work. If you plan on working on your own truck then I would suggest picking up an autoenginuity with the ford enhancements. It's by far the most bang for your buck, without getting the ford IDS that is.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 PM
martinkjc
Freshman User
Hey! Thank you for the resp. I sent the pictures to your email with a bit of description. The red and black lines/hoses i believe are to be vacuum lines however, one is plugged (red) and one is open for some reason. You will see in the photos. I just wish there was an easy way to tell what the problem is because it is driving me nuts!!! The harness that is unplugged, runs along the passenger side wheel well along with another harness which is plugged in to its counter part. Thank you again for taking the time here.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
martinkjc
Freshman User
And sorry its an 06 350 4x4 lariat super crew, the tsc is transmission control switch and it says its out of test range its code is P1780 i believe on the KOER on the innova obd II scan that I did myself. It also may help to say that my battery light comes on upon starting the truck and sometimes goes off while driving. I have cleaned the terminals and the wires and clamps and still happening. However, this problem with the batt light just started as oppose to the problem with the sputtering. THANKS!!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM
texans
Postmaster
The lines and the plug should go to the PVH on the side of the finder. You can see it here in this pic

As far as the other problem. You should look into fixing whatever you have going wrong with your batt/alternater first. I'm not sure what you mean still by sputtering.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 AM
martinkjc
Freshman User
In your picture. The two red and black lines I'm talking about are the ones under your harness which mine isn't plugged in. The two lines are connected at the head and looks as though they should be connnected. Today I am going to be fixing the alternator today!! The truck is like jerking or bucking when i say sputteringThanks again for resp

Old 05-04-2012, 08:12 AM
texans
Postmaster
So is that accuator on the fender? If it's not there than my guess would be there is something wrong with it and the previous owner just removed it instead of replacing it. Either way seeing as it's not pluged in then i'm going to say that there is a problem with it.

As for the bucking issue, do you have away to monitor PIDS while driving, so we can maybe see what's going on during the problem? Is it consistant with the speed? As in, everytime you are at that speed it does it, and does it do it the entire time your in a certain speed range, or more of will start doing it when you hit said speed then go away? Can you try running a different gear in that MPH range to see what the change in RPM will do? Might try unpluging the VGT connector and see what happens while driving. Also, next try unpluging the ICP and drive it. Then try unpluging the EGR valve and driving. These are a few things to try one at a time to narrow the problem down.

Have you pulled the EGR valve out and inspected it yet? Might want to do that and clean it. It's just good maintance if nothing else to do this once in a while.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM
martinkjc
Freshman User
BACK!!!

Sorry for the delay, I have changed the alternator, batteries, degas cap, batt. cables. The actuator is not on the fender. When I say sputtering its almost like upon light acceleration it isnt getting fuel, but when i put the pedal down she goes. When I am cruising at any speed between 80-120kmph it feels like the truck is jerking or bucking when trying to stay at a constant speed, again, if i step on it when it does this, she goes with no sputtering. It is just at constant speeds. Is there anyway to check the injectors individually, without a scanner? The last scanner said they were all good but I have a feeling it is an injector.