6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Checking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Checking Oil

Ok, so i thought i knew how to check engine oil. But today i felt like i didnt or at least im not trusting the reading i kept think i was seeing. I know that a new engine will consume some oil while the rings are still seating. Which can take a while to on a diesel. So last week i checked the oil, and after several readings i was pretty sure it was on the bottom of the crosshatch. so i added a bit, rechecked, added more, rechecked and added the rest of the quart. then rechecked. it looked like it was the at the top of the crosshatch. perfect.
today, i checked and it was either halfway up the crosshatch (where i would expect) or way over the top mark on the cable. almost an inch over the top mark above the crosshatch.

now the oil isnt "diesel black" yet so its not as obvious as to where to actual level is vs "smear" from pulling thru the dipstick tube. I noticed the dipstick is experiencing a few curves before it gets to the sump. so i dont know if im getting erroneous readings or if somehow my engine is making oil. (which i remember hearing or reading about, but know very little on the subject).

thought id check in for either some info or a sanity check. thanks in advance.

Jason

Old 04-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Jimax
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tracking.

As a follow-up question, won't the driver information display notify you if you are low on oil?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
only excessively low.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimax
Tracking.

As a follow-up question, won't the driver information display notify you if you are low on oil?
When you get that warning, it's too late.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was making oil pretty good before I deleted it. Best guess, in 4,000 miles my truck made 1/2 qt, maybe even closer to 1 qt and the oil was black as night and very thin.

I changed the oil and deleted it the same week. So far (3,000 miles) I've not made any oil and the oil looks much better.

Not saying that's what your truck is doing, only sharing my experience. Regen cycles will put fuel into the oil (making oil) combine with excessive idling while the engine is cold, the engine will wet stack and make oil.

I found it very beneficial to delete the crap that was doing no good for my engine. YMMV.

Andrew

Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Unless you tow heavy every time you run the engine, you'll get at least 0.5% of fuel in the oil from active regenerations.
I average around 2.0%.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by kper05
When you get that warning, it's too late.
couldnt have said it any better

Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Andrew010
Mine was making oil pretty good before I deleted it. Best guess, in 4,000 miles my truck made 1/2 qt, maybe even closer to 1 qt and the oil was black as night and very thin.

I changed the oil and deleted it the same week. So far (3,000 miles) I've not made any oil and the oil looks much better.

Not saying that's what your truck is doing, only sharing my experience. Regen cycles will put fuel into the oil (making oil) combine with excessive idling while the engine is cold, the engine will wet stack and make oil.

I found it very beneficial to delete the crap that was doing no good for my engine. YMMV.

Andrew

well i aint deletin NOTHIN...lol

except maybe some truck payments...

Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
think i need to hook up my trailer and go for a pull to get these rings seated and good n hot. show this truck whats its meant for. then see where i stand

Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

After a fresh oil change and running the engine for 15-20 miles, my oil level is usually slightly above half in the hatched area the next morning.
I'll try to remember to confirm this next oil change but that's what I seem to remember.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Also i find that checking the oil is a pita compared to my 6.4 because the disptick is nearly on the centerline of the truck, and far enough back that i need and stepstool and to lean to get to it. Im about 5'9" ish....not super tall but not super short.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
Also i find that checking the oil is a pita compared to my 6.4 because the disptick is nearly on the centerline of the truck, and far enough back that i need and stepstool and to lean to get to it. Im about 5'9" ish....not super tall but not super short.
I think you will feel better about your oil once the engine has run for a while and you get the dark black oil. I changed my oil last time and carefully poured the used oil back into the empty containers. We have 13 quart systems, which is 3 gallons and one quart. I was able to fill the 3 gallon jugs but had nothing for the remaining quart. At least I know that I was not making oil and as best I can tell, making oil has not been a subject of concern here at FTE with the 6.7.

I know what you mean about the effort required to check the oil. I'm 6' and it's pretty much all I have to reach the stick. When my back hurts I get pretty angry with the dipstick........

Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
I have one of those step platforms that are about 18" high and 3' wide. Key item for maintenance. But still a pain with the oil.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Correction its 12" x 3'9"

Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 AM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Checking oil

No matter what you do it is very difficult to read the correct oil level on our 6.7. Engines. I find by letting the truck sit overnight and with only one pull you can see the level better. In an ideal world you are supposed to check the oil when it is hot. If you try to check the oil multiple times it picks up oil from the diptube and confuses the reading. Some owners have suggested pulling the dipstick out an inch or two pausing for a short time and then withdrawing the dipstick. I find that no matter what I do it is a lousy dipstick to read. That's probably my only complaint about my truck after 25,000 miles of driving. My truck has never made oil.

Quick Reply: Checking Oil