Sponsored by:

Excursion Towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by tdappleman
Part of the problem with the recall was not just with the E vs. D rating - it did make it easier to explain to the average consumer. Firestone was having fairly significant issues at the time across the board on their tires - still suck in my opinion. The problem was really at trying to get a good ride in a heavy duty truck by lowering the air pressure. Even the revised E rated tires were recommended to be at a 45 psi front and 55 psi rear which is just not enough for these trucks. You do not get the full capacity of the tire until you are AT the max psi rating.
A word of warning based on the above....

Whenever you have your tires rotated and balanced, MAKE SURE you request them to be fully inflated otherwise they will foolishly go by whats on the door.

Back a few years ago, I bought some Michelin LTX M/S tires and had one of the guys in the service bay argue with me that since I don't tow, I don't need load range "E" tires. He went on to argue that he will only inflate MY tires to what it says on the door and NOT the max tire psi like I requested. It actually got heated to where fists almost started flying, but then the manager stepped in, got my tires inflated, sent the other guy away, and now he doesn't work there anymore.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM
raz1990
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

I went to Pep Boys today and they said they would give me a road hazard warranty on the tires. The guy that sold the tires to us a year ago does not work there anymore. They would give me $87.50 per tire in a credit towards new, Cooper A/T 265/75/R16 Load Range E's. This would bring the price of all new 4 tires to 584 Dollars. I was not satisfied because they screwed up!!! I did not know this at the time we had the tires put on, so they gave me a bunch of crap. I am definitely going to be calling the 1- 800 Number tomorrow and getting a new FREE set of tires! I will not take anything less. Thank you all for looking out for me, I really appreciate all of your help!

[QUOTE=SkySkiJason;11750688]I would not drive my X empty with load range C tires... I'm not generally like this, but I would threaten a law suit and make them 100% refund that tire price - seriously. That is extremely negligent!!! If they give you even one word of crap, call the 800# for 'customer service' on the wall. You will be getting a refund, just be very polite and insist they 'make it right' by giving you that money back - at least toward the right tires. If not satisfied, PLEASE go to BBB, etc and file reports.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by raz1990
I went to Pep Boys today and they said they would give me a road hazard warranty on the tires. The guy that sold the tires to us a year ago does not work there anymore. They would give me $87.50 per tire in a credit towards new, Cooper A/T 265/75/R16 Load Range E's. This would bring the price of all new 4 tires to 584 Dollars. I was not satisfied because they screwed up!!! I did not know this at the time we had the tires put on, so they gave me a bunch of crap. I am definitely going to be calling the 1- 800 Number tomorrow and getting a new FREE set of tires! I will not take anything less. Thank you all for looking out for me, I really appreciate all of your help!
Yeah, they'll do anything they can to weasel out of having to GIVE you a set of tires, when it's the right thing to do. If they want to prorate based on tread, that's fine, but they need to eat the cost of the remainder make things right.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raz1990
Light those mother's up. That's absurd. You paid for the correct tire. They gave you the incorrect tire. I might let them pro-rate it, say i paid $800 for the set, 10k miles on a 50k tire is 20% used, I'd pay no more than $160 to get the proper tires on.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 AM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
Not necessarily taking the side of Pep Boys here, but Range E tires do cost considerably more the C's. Pro-rating the old tires seems fair, but it seems like they could do a lot better on the price of the E's - sell them at cost for making the mistake, etc.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:45 AM
ddivinia
Senior User
I think they are treating you OK.

Take the credit and upgrade.

D.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Check your spare! Might need to get a 5th tire.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 AM
natew
Senior User
Tires LRD

I would definately take those tires back and have them put the correct tires on the X. Big time law suit if something hapens. Ive worked at Costco in the tire shop for long time and that is what we've always been told. Good luck.