Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Excursion Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1157129-excursion-towing.html)

raz1990 04-22-2012 09:59 PM

Excursion Towing

Hi All,
First time and need some help with a few questions.
I will be towing a 14K GVW Dump trailer with my 2001 Ford Excursion V10 with a 4.30 gear ratio she only has about 43000 miles. I wanted to know which brand of add a leaf spring system I should use. And if I should get anything else to make towing easier.
Thank You for your help!!

Jmatthews 04-23-2012 05:57 AM

I have the RAS (Road Master Active suspension) in mine and it helps a lot.

ExxWhy 04-23-2012 07:29 AM

14K, that's a lot! Not sure how the tongue weight would be on a trailer like that, but if it's 10% then you will be substantially over the receiver rating even using a weight distributing hitch. If the tongue weight is enough to squat the truck more than a couple inches, the weak link won't be the springs on the truck.

I also have the RAS, and it's a good system. My camp trailer with 950lbs tongue weight only drops the rear 1.5 inches, and I bring that back up to 1/2" drop using the weight distributing hitch.

At the least, you'll want to use a weight distributing hitch on that trailer and make sure the brakes are working right. (You'll need a brake controller.)

SkySkiJason 04-23-2012 07:32 AM

That is ALOT to ask an Excursion to do. My Toy Hauler is over 12k lbs...

I think as a minimum you should install B-code rear leaf springs - F250/350 springs and completely replace the WEAK stock Excursion springs. I also recommend replacing the front leafs, this will make a dramatic improvement in handling - loaded and empty.

Good shocks are critical too.

Next, you need at least a WD hitch, but consider a Pull Rite or Hensley Arrow/Propride system.

A Hellwig rear sway bar is also a good idea.

You still may need airbags to be able to compensate for an uneven loading.

I'm on my fone or I'd post links to some V&B code write-ups...

I dunno about the V10, but at 324hp and 650ft lbs - my 7.3 had :( no problem pulling the load. I have EBC Yellowstuff brake pads and OE-type rotors - best investment I have made yet. No more warped rotors and waaay more stopping power!!!

raz1990 04-23-2012 10:03 AM

Thanks guys, I was looking at the Hellwig sway bar, and I will need new shocks because everything is still 100% stock except for the Cold Air. The empty weight of the trailer is about 3,555 lbs, so filled with trash the whole thing would weigh about a total of 12K? I have a brake controller. I was thinking of using these springs:2001 Ford Excursion Skyjacker Add A Leaf Springs, Skyjacker Truck Leaf Springs
Thanks Again guys!

SkySkiJason 04-23-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by raz1990 (Post 11746302)
Thanks guys, I was looking at the Hellwig sway bar, and I will need new shocks because everything is still 100% stock except for the Cold Air. The empty weight of the trailer is about 3,555 lbs, so filled with trash the whole thing would weigh about a total of 12K? I have a brake controller. I was thinking of using these springs:2001 Ford Excursion Skyjacker Add A Leaf Springs, Skyjacker Truck Leaf Springs
Thanks Again guys!

I fully assumed you'd have a brake controller and know how to set it up. In 250k miles I've put on the X and the dually, I have used a few different brake pads and I can say without a doubt - the EBC pads are superior to any others I've tried. Its not a cheap option for pads, but there is no reason not to use a good quality 'standard' rotor. Don't waste your $$$ on slotted, cross-drilled, cryo'ed or otherwise molested (and expensive) rotors. If your rotors are in good shape now (no warping/cracking), just throw the EBC pads on and lube the caliper slide pins at your next tire rotation! They have a 'break in' coating that preps the rotor surfaces for the new pads. I bought 'lifetime warranty' rotors from O'Riellys, so even if they do warp, crack, etc - I just carry them in and swap them out for new ones!

Stability is HUGE, especially on the short wheelbase of the X. To have the safest, most comfortable ride towing that heavy - follow in the footsteps of those who have done the V&B code swap and rear sway bar. This has been a proven recipe.

The problem is the stock X springs are really, really weak - and that was before 12yrs and at least a few miles got on them... You can get a set of used F250/350 springs for about the same price and likely have better results. Check out Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for some used ones near you.

I have Bilstien shocks on the dually and Pro Comp MX6 (adjustable) shocks on the X. Not sure I recommend adjustable, since I never have adjusted them - they've been on 'stiffest' setting since install. Do get good shocks!

Also, you'll certainly want to run Load Range E (10ply) tires and keep them at 80psi (max pressure on sidewall).

raz1990 04-23-2012 06:28 PM

I did not know that the X springs were that weak, my brother and I have always thought they were stock f- 250's. And right now we have load range C tires on it. Thats what pep boys gave us and they are only about a year old! We have new brakes and rotors on the X so right now we are fine, but next time we will definitely look into the EBC pads. So on the list to buy are shocks, springs and a sway bar. Could we tow with the Load Range C tires?

jh818 04-23-2012 06:44 PM

I wouldn't tow that heavy on load range C tires.

Toreador_Diesel 04-23-2012 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by jh818 (Post 11748048)
I wouldn't tow that heavy on load range C tires.

Agreed, ditch those Load range C and get some Load Range E Michelins or BFG All-Terrains. Towing that kind of load with C rated tires is just asking for trouble...

That kind of load is actually quite heavy for the V10, but I have a feeling that it may be able to handle the load if properly equipped...

Before you tow that kind of load, you need to properly prep your truck for it.

-You already have 4.30 gears which makes it easier for the V10 to tow such a load, so you've already got a leg up on things.

-Since these trucks DO NOT have F250 springs, you'll need to look into the V/B code spring swap. The V/B code springs are F250 springs that carry weight MUCH better than the stock springs and dramatically improve the ride.

-RAS or Roadmaster Active Suspension helps balance and distribute the load much better over the rear springs and helps the truck handle the load better.

-The 26 row 6.0 trans cooler is substantially larger than the stock V10 cooler and will keep your trans cool while towing such a load.

LWW 04-23-2012 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by raz1990 (Post 11747975)
right now we have load range C tires on it. Thats what pep boys gave us and they are only about a year old! Could we tow with the Load Range C tires?

Another reason to never trust the ass-hats at the local tire shop. I'd be interested to see their response when the lawsuit hit for them putting under-rated tires on a super duty truck like this.

You can do anything, but I wouldn't go anywhere near a 12k trailer with Load Range C tires. I have D tires on my Durango and it's got a 1/3 less towing capacity than the Excursion. I currently have D's that came on my Excursion but I'm only towing a 5k trailer. Anything larger and I'm getting E-range tires.

jh818 04-23-2012 08:50 PM

I bought my tires at Costco with a $70 off coupon. I got the most pricey stock size tires and they put on the load E on. At the time, I had no clue about towing and what load tires, etc. I'm glad they put the right tires on for towing.

As I learned more about towing, I was surprised that my Excursion came with 4.30 gears.

raz1990 04-23-2012 09:00 PM

LWW I am going to stop by pep boys tomorrow and am going to ask them about the tires. I did see online that the original equipment tires were load range D, so they did put under- rated tires. YES, the RAS is another item to add to the list. My brother will hopefully now understand that I also do NOT want to tow that heavy with the C's we currently have.
Thank You guys once more.

SkySkiJason 04-24-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by raz1990 (Post 11748770)
LWW I am going to stop by pep boys tomorrow and am going to ask them about the tires. I did see online that the original equipment tires were load range D, so they did put under- rated tires. YES, the RAS is another item to add to the list. My brother will hopefully now understand that I also do NOT want to tow that heavy with the C's we currently have.

I would not drive my X empty with load range C tires... I'm not generally like this, but I would threaten a law suit and make them 100% refund that tire price - seriously. That is extremely negligent!!! If they give you even one word of crap, call the 800# for 'customer service' on the wall. You will be getting a refund, just be very polite and insist they 'make it right' by giving you that money back - at least toward the right tires. If not satisfied, PLEASE go to BBB, etc and file reports.

If they also sold you those new pads and rotors, don't expect much from them either. The store brand parts and even their 'best' parts are JUNK. Like I said, the rotors will prolly be fine with a set of good pads - but don't expect to get very far without warping/destroying rotors on anything but 'extreme duty' pads like EBC or Hawk's. Look up what pads you've got. IMO, you'll be money ahead to swap pads now - since the cheap crap WILL destroy the rotors!

I still haven't gotten to my 'puter to get the link, but ya need to read the thread about RAS plus V&B codes. Seems like RAS and B-codes was too tall unloaded...

LWW 04-24-2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by raz1990 (Post 11748770)
LWW I am going to stop by pep boys tomorrow and am going to ask them about the tires. I did see online that the original equipment tires were load range D, so they did put under- rated tires. My brother will hopefully now understand that I also do NOT want to tow that heavy with the C's we currently have.

Ford/Firestone recalled the original D load tires because they were under-rated for the Excursion.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2004/0...rd-excursions/

All recalled tires were replaced with E load tires. I believe the remaining Excursion production was delivered with E load tires as well.

If not by your specific request, Pep Boys installing C load tires is grossly negligent.

tdappleman 04-24-2012 05:45 PM

Part of the problem with the recall was not just with the E vs. D rating - it did make it easier to explain to the average consumer. Firestone was having fairly significant issues at the time across the board on their tires - still suck in my opinion. The problem was really at trying to get a good ride in a heavy duty truck by lowering the air pressure. Even the revised E rated tires were recommended to be at a 45 psi front and 55 psi rear which is just not enough for these trucks. You do not get the full capacity of the tire until you are AT the max psi rating.

Some D rated tires are fine - but not if they are under inflated. I have D rated Mickey Thompson tires - absolutely NO issues in almost 30k miles and a lot of that towing a 11k boat and having the truck loaded down. MUCH better than the crappy Firestone Transforce AT tires that the beast came with - horrible handling and traction. Look at the actual tire - the rated weight capacity at a given air pressure and be sensible. Mine are rated at 3305 lbs at 65psi which I keep them at - not much different than the 3415 (on average) most of the E rated tires are at. The stiffer sidewall can help with handling - but it also kills the ride. Go to a good shop who will work with you on the right tire or do your own research and get what will work for you.