Ecoboost-FFV Engine? - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost-FFV Engine?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Junior User

FalcoDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm afraid to put alcohol in my truck. It already has a drinking problem.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Senior User

RRRSkinner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RRRSkinner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalcoDog View Post
I'm afraid to put alcohol in my truck. It already has a drinking problem.

Lol...thanks
Old 10-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Junior User

His/Hers 6.0s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meborder View Post
seriously ....

that kind talk is only intended to provoke and enrage people and is not needed.

you don't like it ... fine, whatever.

but your opinion is your own and is not shared by everyone on the forum. there are those of us who think it is a legitimate alternative to feed our vehicles. That hardly makes us gay, tree hugging liberals.

comparing the efficiency of the to fuels is a pretty narrow view, IMO. It is like saying "gas is crap because it does not yield the mileage a of diesel" ... they both have their place.

furthermore, crippling e85 by running it in an engine optimized for 87octane is like runing race gas in an engine with 6.0:1 compression and no timing lead. you can make it run, but there are prices to be paid, and efficiency is one of them. E85 like 12:1 compression at a minimum, or you are bound to get low efficiency.

"flex fuels arent going anywhere ... better get used to the idea of them being around.
Yup. Not a damn thing wrong with them. A fuel mix is good and getting off of ME oil is a good thing.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Posting Guru

Pgh Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.Pgh Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.
There's a lot of good points brought up in this thread, both for and against ethanol. I personally won't use it in my truck. If ethanol has sat in your tank or in your engine too long it evaporates and leaves behind water. What does water do to our engines and fuel tanks gentlemen? It destroys them!
If you're the kind of person who puts a hundred miles per day or more on your truck, and you want the extra performance; more power to ya! My commute back and forth to work is perhaps 12 miles both ways. A tank of gas lasts me 2-3 weeks. I don't need my fuel pump or my motor seizing up from sittin' over a long weekend! I'll sacrifice a little bit of performance for the gain in mpg's and durability.

Now to get political: I find it interesting how the left doesn't want to hear anyone else's side of things but their own. The instant someone disagrees with them, they get mad about it; like you're breaking some kind of law by entering another opinion, or by simply speaking your mind. Last I checked, the First Amendment applies to everybody!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 PM

meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.
Your fears about ethanol evaporating and leaving you with a problem are completely unwarranted, IMO.

My plow truck was last filled with E10 on Jan 26, 2016. I've recently used it without trouble.

My 79 has sat for more than a year with e10, again without any issues.

While, in theory, what you say could happen it simply doesn't. At least not in my world.

I've let my 2010 sit at work with e30 onboard for months at a time during the winter, again, without issue.

IMO, it is just not worth worrying about.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:00 AM
Posting Guru

WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.
I tried E85 as an experiment for a few tanks this summer. What I found was that the lower cost of the fuel was offset almost identically by the reduction in MPGs. So, financially it comes out in the wash.

The E85 does, however, produce a little more power because the ECU can adapt for the higher octane. E85 also relies more on domestic farming and less on OPEC. So those are the positives.

The negative is that E85 here in my state is hard to find. In fact, I live in the most populated region of the state and I've only found one chain of stations that carries it.

As far as the original post goes, no you won't find the EcoBoost running E85 because once you throw forced induction into the mix it complicates stoichiometric ratios, compression ratios, etc. and there are just more variables to account for in the engineering of those engines and the fuel they run.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Junior User

His/Hers 6.0s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel View Post
There's a lot of good points brought up in this thread, both for and against ethanol. I personally won't use it in my truck. If ethanol has sat in your tank or in your engine too long it evaporates and leaves behind water. What does water do to our engines and fuel tanks gentlemen? It destroys them!
If you're the kind of person who puts a hundred miles per day or more on your truck, and you want the extra performance; more power to ya! My commute back and forth to work is perhaps 12 miles both ways. A tank of gas lasts me 2-3 weeks. I don't need my fuel pump or my motor seizing up from sittin' over a long weekend! I'll sacrifice a little bit of performance for the gain in mpg's and durability.

Now to get political: I find it interesting how the left doesn't want to hear anyone else's side of things but their own. The instant someone disagrees with them, they get mad about it; like you're breaking some kind of law by entering another opinion, or by simply speaking your mind. Last I checked, the First Amendment applies to everybody!
Whatever...
Old 10-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Posting Guru

Pgh Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.Pgh Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.
See I've heard other stories of people having nothing but problems from putting E10 and E15 mixes in their older vehicles. Where I live, we're forced to buy the ethanol. Straight gasoline just is not available except maybe at one or two marinas, and they're all pretty far from my house. I haven't looked into it but I imagine the price is going to be pretty expensive. I'm sure once you get there you'll find a state regulation stating no refueling of motor vehicles; boats only.
The ethanol blended gasoline is something that is regulated and enforced by the EPA. The EPA has been given unprecedented power under the Obama administration, so yes in a way this is forced on us by our friends at the federal government.