Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost-FFV Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip

What company is making the Ecoboost methanol injection kit?
The kit will be sold by Livernois Motorsports but made by AlkyControl.

Have you seen any info for how far the stock turbos will take this engine? Either info on this engine is very sparse or I'm not looking in the right place.
I've heard the stock turbos are only good for 20 psi. .The direct injection has it's limits too. There is a company called Full Race that is working on bigger turbos and upgraded fueling.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MikeWolfe
yeah I know
It is readily available in Iowa but when we go to Arizona for the winter it is very hard ot find it. Not sure why it is not offered in more locations
What is even worse is that E10 is all that is available at gas stations around here. There are a few marinas and airports that have ethanol free gas but it is about $5 per gallon.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
The TSB is 12-10-19 and replaces the CAC's in those trucks already built.
It also looks like the new trucks are coming in with yet a third version of CAC with different connections and ports (which couldn't be retro fitted to existing trucks)<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message -->
<!-- sig -->__________________

Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
03redstx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I prefer Methanol injection. I can run 15-16 psi of boost on 91 octane in my Grand National. With 91 octane and methanol injection I can run 25-26 psi of boost. I don't care about running that much boost in my Ecoboost but a few more psi would be nice. There is a methanol injection kit in the works for the Ecoboost but it's not on the market yet.
ive been itching to add the alky kit to my GN for a while now, other things have gotten in the way tho..i believe the alky kit for the ecoboost is already out, dont know if Julio has a kit for one yet tho

Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 03redstx
ive been itching to add the alky kit to my GN for a while now, other things have gotten in the way tho..i believe the alky kit for the ecoboost is already out, dont know if Julio has a kit for one yet tho
I'm waiting until Julio's kit is out. His service and tech support is 2nd to none.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:35 PM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 In ECO Boost Engines

Hi All:
Been a while since I have participated in this forum.
Thought I would offer my experiences to date with my eco boost truck
Also Just purchased a Tarurs SHO so now I have two ECO boost vehicles
Been uisng a mix of about 50-60% E85 with premium in my 2011 F150 SCREW 4X4 ECO Boost truck for over 50,000 miles now. To me it is amazing the difference in the truck when pulling up hills, climbing mountain passes etc. I have had absoutely no problems with the truck or engine.
I have noticed that once when I had no choice but to use some 87 octane gasoline, the engine ran very poorly & would lightly missfire (you could feel it) when run at WOT. Next fillup with E85 mix solved the problem.
It is obvious that the engine has far more torque when running the E85 mix than it does when useing standard gasoline. In the mountains, I have a friend with the 6.2L engine & My ECO boost will flat run away from it on a long climb up a pass. He couldn't believe the difference a boosted engine has over the naturally aspirated engines in high altitude situations
Anyway I am now an absolute ECO Boost fan now & will probably not purchase anything else. I know GM has a 3.6L Dual turbo engine used in Cadillacs the produces 420hp & 430lbft of torque. They should put that engine in their Light Trucks

Old 08-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
U know I believe it will do E85 mix quite well since it blows black suet onto the drive when warming up it has the capability to map the fuel mix for the higher octane mix of 50/50 mix. I have found that when E85 is near $.50 less then gas it is equivalent in cost to operate and I get better torque on very hot days approaching 100 degrees or higher. If it didn't run it perty well it would start very hard.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:31 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonbar87
Flex Fuel = gimmick.

It's extremely inefficient and yields terrible mileage. I hate the stuff. We can thank the tree hugging liberals for that one.
Amen, bro! Hate that corn mess! I try to buy non ethanol.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:59 AM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
Good morning all:
Never understand why some folks hate Ethanol
There is a lot of erroneous information published about BIO Fuels
Maybe folks just don't have all the information they should have to make an informed decision
I am a semi retired automotive engineer & thought I would offer some facts about E85
First of all here in Iowa E85 is currently $2.299 per gallon
Premium is $3.699 per gallon
I won't use 87 octane in anything I own.
On any modern engine 87 octane fuel will reduce engine performance due to the very low octane rating.
Even my lawn mowers & string trimmers get E10 (89 octane)
When we use ethanol we recycle the carbon that was produced in the plants.
When burned the ethanol releases less carbon than petroleum into the air & it is recycled in next years crops.
When petroleum products are burned in your vehicle you add carbon to the atmosphere than has been trapped underground for millions of years (the earth had a much warmer climate when all of this carbon was in the atmosphere)
E85 fuel is rated at about 108 octane
When introduced into the cylinders it will evaporate at a much faster rate than gasoline producing a much higher cooling effect than gasoline.
On most modern vehicles fuel mileage will drop about 10% when using E85 verses Straight Gasoline.
That is the difference I have seen in my truck
ethanol is a renewable product, we will never run out of it.
Petrolem has a finite life & someday we will run out of it (may be a long time but it will happen)
I would probably use it in my truck even if the price was close to the same just to get the increased performance it offers
I am sure this will prompt a lot of responses both positive & negative.
But if most people would look at the real facts (instead of someones opinion) I think they would agree that E85 (or other ethanol blends) is a good choice

Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
I would look at using E85 in a 50/50 mix, but not any higher, to cut carbon build up in the Direct Injection motor much like a propane injection motor has little to no carbon in its combustion chambers or exhaust. Problem is keeping the mix 50/50%, but the best power return would still be in high temp summer days where the alcohol cools the air charge. It has been the carbon build up on direct injection motors that has been the stinger of the past. Audi etc. have had much experience with such problems and even though Ford claims are different do we really know much yet about it. The little woman has a direct injection GM product and we use a fuel treatment regularly. I feel no problem with gasohol fill ups helping the cleanliness of the motor out. My experiences with CNG fueled systems in industrial settings, differ though. I am reluctant to sponsor CNG for long range usage in the northern parts of the US. I found a lot of not so good things happen in these climates to the insides of the motors and fuel systems. Very expensive problems. If U save in the near future on fuel prices but U pay dearly in the long term ownerships. So the big time costs are handed down to later owners to eat. Maybe like a family of Gremlins in UR trunk tank. My F150 pictured below will return 18 MPG average with 100% E85 and an easy 20 MPG with 87 octane on warm summer days. Daytime heat goes way up past 100 degrees and E85 steps up to the challenge. Temps drop below 65 degrees and 87 octane performs much better for mileage. Temperature plays a big part in a performance evaluation of the 2 fuels.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Jeremiah Lee
New User
You guys have me wanting to experiment. I have a 2012 5.0. The only thing I have ever put in it is 87 octane. I don't know anything about alternative fuels. What are some do's and don'ts when it comes to experimenting?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Lee
What are some do's and don'ts when it comes to experimenting?
Don't alternate back and forth. Stick with one fuel for several fill-ups before switching, then fill the whole tank with the new fuel. The motor needs to "learn" the different fuels and adjusting accordingly.

From the manual:

Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
MOst of the 5.0's are flex fuel engines.
Does yours have the "FLEX FUEL" label on the tailgate?
If so you can just fill up with 100% E85 & try it.
If not I would suggest a mix 50% E85 and 50% Gasoline
Since all vehicles sold today have to be compliant with Ethanol mixes of 10-15% the fuel system parts should not have any issues with E85.
However if your vehicle does not have the flex fuel option, do not use over a 50%-50% mix of E85.
Running a ratio higher than that will not harm your engine but it may set a fault code for a lean mixture due to high fuel trim numbers
Since I am an automotive engineer, I do not care if my vehicles set a fault code when trying mixes higher than 50% E85. I just hook up my laptop with the OBDII adapter, clear the codes & go on my merry way.
At any rate your engine will probably perform better with a higher octane fuel.

FYI All:
The August Issue of Motor Trend has a test of the 2014 Chevy Silverado
The 5.3L FLEX Fuel Engine in this truck is rated at 355hp & 383lbft of torque on gasoline. It is rated at 380hp & 416lbft of torque on E85
Check it out on page 122 of the August Issue of Motor trend.
I am pretty sure the result would be the same for the 5.0L DOHC Ford engine in your truck. I am sure it increases the torque in my ECO Boost engine at least 20%. Interesting??

Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Jeremiah Lee
New User
Originally Posted by MikeWolfe
MOst of the 5.0's are flex fuel engines.
Does yours have the "FLEX FUEL" label on the tailgate?

At any rate your engine will probably perform better with a higher octane fuel.

FYI All:
The August Issue of Motor Trend has a test of the 2014 Chevy Silverado
The 5.3L FLEX Fuel Engine in this truck is rated at 355hp & 383lbft of torque on gasoline. It is rated at 380hp & 416lbft of torque on E85
Check it out on page 122 of the August Issue of Motor trend.
I am pretty sure the result would be the same for the 5.0L DOHC Ford engine in your truck. I am sure it increases the torque in my ECO Boost engine at least 20%. Interesting??
Yes it is a "flex fuel" 5.0.

So you're telling me that it should increase horsepower and torque as well as run cleaner? I just filled up yesterday with 87 so I will have to wait about a week before I try it but I am looking forward to giving it a shot.

So after I fill up with e85 I should stick with it until my next oil change and then fill up with 93 octane?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 AM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike, since you are in Iowa, I'm thinking that'd make you like the corn stuff more maybe? I've seen ethanol ruin too many 2 cycle engines. I guess in newer trucks, it's okay, but somehow, I just can't get to liking using food to run me truck. Where I live, most gasoline says 10% ethanol on the pump, but we have several stations that have non ethanol too, which is what I buy, even though it costs more. I wonder if old Mother Earth ain't making more oil way down there? I don't know much. Compressed natural gas is beginning to gain a lot of press in Mississippi. I'd rather use that than corn. Fertilizer, pesticides, diesel, etc. to produce corn for fuel still just does not seem right to me.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost-FFV Engine?