Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost-FFV Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 AM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the manual for your truck.
My owner's manual does not stipulate the need to run gasoline in the engine.
I would bet yours does not either

Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWolfe
Check the manual for your truck.
My owner's manual does not stipulate the need to run gasoline in the engine.
I would bet yours does not either
Per the manual, you should minimally run regular gas through at every oil change interval:

Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 AM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
Interesting comment
I have a STHIL FS76 Trimmer that is about 15 years old & has never had anything but E10 89 octane fuel in it.
Sometimes I even forget to add stabil when storing it for the winter.
Still has the original carb & has never had the carb repaired or rebuilt.
I have heard some folks have issues with with small engiens & ethanol blended fuels but I personally have never experienced any issues with it. To me it is just an inexpensive, high octane alternative to gasoline, my vehicles run better when I use it, we recycle the carbon when we use "RENEWABLE fuels" ,we recyle the carbon instead of adding more to the atmosphere & the engines produce fewer emissions when using it.
I know I am not likely to convine some folks who just do not want to use it. That is their choice. For me it is & always will be a good choice.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Per the manual, you should minimally run regular gas through at every oil change interval:

Hi:
I looked in the 2011 & 2012 F150 manuals I have & did not find this statement. What year is your vehicle & what engine do you have?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Hi:
I looked in the 2011 & 2012 F150 manuals I have & did not find this statement. What year is your vehicle & what engine do you have?
2013 5.0 flexfuel. You can download the manual here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/?li.../13f12om3e.pdf

See page 200 (or 201 of .PDF)

EDIT:

Also in 2012 manual, 3rd printing (see PDF page 406) last paragraph under FFV engine http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../12f12og3e.pdf

Also in 2011 manual, 3rd printing (see page 398 of .PDF) last paragraph of FFV engine http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../11f12og3e.pdf

As a note, the manuals do not change for different engines. They are the same for every truck. You may have an older revision that was not updated to this language

Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 PM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
Ok
Thanks found it
Also found this statement that supports what I feel in the sealt of my pants when using E85
During the summer season, fuel ethanol may contain a maximum of 85%

denatured ethanol (Ed85) and 15% unleaded gasoline. The fuel ethanol

has a higher octane rating than unleaded regular or premium gasoline

and this allows the design of engines with greater efficiency and power.

Winter blends may contain up to 75% denatured ethanol (Ed75) and up

to 25% unleaded gasoline to enhance cold engine starts. Severely cold

weather may require additional measures for reliable starting.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 PM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
Hi All:
Found a couple of links that have interesting information on E85
Ethanol Producer Magazine | EthanolProducer.com

This article pretty much dispells the rumor that Making Ethanol increases the corn prices & therefore food prices

Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Hi All:
Found a couple of links that have interesting information on E85
Originally Posted by http://ethanolproducer.com
The motorcycle they broke the record with is a 2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 motorcycle with a 100 percent stock motor with 12.5 to 1 compression ratio and a turbo system designed and built by Trzebiatowski.
Originally Posted by http://ethanolproducer.com
In order to take full advantage of ethanol’s high octane content, the team upgraded the bike’s fuel system, replaced the secondary injectors with larger, higher flowing injectors and reprogramed its engine computer to “deliver more fuel for ethanol and boost,” he told me.
100% stock motor.... right, except for some minor modifications like a turbo, completely upgraded fuel system and computer

Old 08-19-2013, 04:25 PM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
Ya that is true.
Buit there is no way they could get that kind of power from Gasoline unless they used 100+ octane racing fuel.
Even the n they could not run as much turbo boost as they did with E85.
Point is that E85 is about 108 Octane & makes a great low cost fuel for high performance applications

Old 09-12-2013, 09:52 AM
MikeWolfe
Freshman User
Ya that is true.
Buit there is no way they could get that kind of power from Gasoline unless they used 100+ octane racing fuel.
Even the n they could not run as much turbo boost as they did with E85.
Point is that E85 is about 108 Octane & makes a great low cost fuel for high performance applications
Hi All:
Found this website that sheds some light on the truth about Renewable fuels (IE Ethanol)
The Truth About Ethanol

Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading this thread, I need a hug. Y'all wait while I go outside and hug a local tree...

Ok, feel better now! Heheheeee, really, all I want is for my truck to do good no matter what fuel I use. I just don't want to mess up something. My fishing buddy ruined his new 90 HP Mercury outboard by using ethanol gasoline in it. It has a sticker on it saying do not use gasoline containing ethanol. We were filling it up a couple years ago, I pointed the sticker out to him. His reply, aw, it'll be okay. Right. Next time I met him at dock, he comes up with his trolling motor. Whatsamatter? I ask. Well, turned out the ethanol ruined his engine. Mercury did pay half the cost of the repair, but still hit him for over $600!

I still prefer non ethanol. But just want me trucks and stuff to run good for a long time.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
[QUOTE=GuyGene;13526693]After reading this thread, I need a hug. Y'all wait while I go outside and hug a local tree...

Ok, feel better now! Heheheeee, really, all I want is for my truck to do good no matter what fuel I use. I just don't want to mess up something. My fishing buddy ruined his new 90 HP Mercury outboard by using ethanol gasoline in it. It has a sticker on it saying do not use gasoline containing ethanol. We were filling it up a couple years ago, I pointed the sticker out to him. His reply, aw, it'll be okay. Right. Next time I met him at dock, he comes up with his trolling motor. Whatsamatter? I ask. Well, turned out the ethanol ruined his engine. Mercury did pay half the cost of the repair, but still hit him for over $600!

I still prefer non ethanol. But just want me trucks and stuff to run good for a long time.[/QUOTE

Why would anyone use ethanol.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 AM
Atlee
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And the powerful Agra-Business interests. That group likes ethanol because it drives up the price of corn. Makes them rich.

Originally Posted by jonbar87
Flex Fuel = gimmick.

It's extremely inefficient and yields terrible mileage. I hate the stuff. We can thank the tree hugging liberals for that one.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 3 year old thread.....

Old 04-24-2015, 09:22 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by jonbar87
Flex Fuel = gimmick.

It's extremely inefficient and yields terrible mileage. I hate the stuff. We can thank the tree hugging liberals for that one.
It might be 3 years old, but it is relevant and it provokes thought. Why would you buy a cheaper fuel, subsidized by taxes, that because of the poor gas mileage costs the same? So you can fill your tank more often or because it is "renewable". Buy a Prius!

It's the same mentality of the ecoboost. "I am going to save gas by spending money on turbos" But, you don't. The towing thing...yea, I get it...sort of. As far as saving money on either, go buy a bridge.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost-FFV Engine?