Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Good deal on a Fummins X?
Good deal @ $21K - Buy it now
18.18%
Good deal if price between $18-$20K
0%
Good deal if price less than $18K
18.18%
Keep looking
63.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Good Deal? '04 X Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:14 AM
f150crewcab
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Deal? '04 X Cummins

I've found a 2004 X with a 6BT Cummins conversion. It's the Lariat trim and has all the bells/whistles, including middle captain's chairs. Here's a description from the online ad:
  • 5.9L 6BT 12-valve Cummins Turbo-Diesel Engine
  • Upgraded 6.7 Turbo (set at 38 psi)
  • Manual Boost Controller
  • Tach Kit
  • Fully Built DTT Performance Dodge 47RE Transmission
  • DTT Single Disk Billet Converter
  • Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
  • GPS Navigation System
  • Rear Parking Sensors
  • Power & Heated Trailer-Tow Exterior Mirrors (telescoping)
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Fog Lights
  • Running Boards
  • Roof Rack
  • Updated Harley-Davidson Headlights
  • Trailer-Hitch Receiver
  • Front & Rear DVD Entertainment Systems
  • Leather Seats
  • Front & Second Row Captain's Chairs
  • Power Front Seats
  • Heated Front Seats
  • 3rd Row Seat
  • Power Gas & Brake Pedals
  • Automatic Climate Control (Air-Conditioning)
  • CD/MP3 Audio System
  • Triple Pod Gauges (Boost, EGT & Transmission Temperature)
  • Remote Keyless Entry System
  • Auto-Dimming Electrochromic Rearview Mirror
  • Homelink Universal Garage-Door Opener
  • Front Airbags
  • Child-Seat Anchor System
Dealer asking $21,450. Is this a good buy? I know the 6BT is a good motor, but not familar with the Dodge tranny. Will this set-up pull my 8,000# TT? I assume it will but there's no mention of a towing package (the pics do show towing mirrors, though). I need a good towing X, not just some pimped ride.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
pdombrowicki
Elder User
Is this the truck you are looking at?
Ford : Excursion Ford : Excursion | eBay

Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
2WD and it looks like it was out in at least 1 hail storm with all those dimples on the roof... The problem with vehicles that are custom like this, is you often have no idea who did the modifications, what sort of quality their work was, if you are going to find a rats nest of wires when you pull a console out, what lurks behind the dash etc... You also don't know if the swap parts were FordCummins or Destroked, hopefully the dealer does or there are receipts. I've heard horror stories about the quality of FordCummins parts but have not personally dealt with them so take that with a grain of salt. Seen nothing but praise for Destroked's stuff though. Again, grain of salt.

Not to say they're all like that, if I had the money I'd jump all over Pdom's 08 when he eventually sells it as that is well documented and he obviously does top notch work.

$21k for that is an awful lot and you will not find anyone to finance it with that mileage at that price so you'll have to bring at least some money to the table if not paying for it outright. I'd pass on it personally but its your call. A built 47RE done right is pretty much bulletproof to answer your question about the trans. What I would do if I were you and I had to have a Cummins swapped Ex is find a nice lower mileage 02-05 V8/V10 4x4 and then do the swap myself. Heck, you can find 05 6.0Ls with under 100k miles for that price or an 02/03 7.3L with right around 100k miles for that price too. I recently saw a 2003 Eddie Bauer 7.3L completely loaded with everything including the 2nd row captains chairs and 106k on the clock sell for $19k...

Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
One advantage of the 12V Cummins is that they tend to get better fuel mileage, and have better options for making power cheaply than the Powerstrokes. As mentioned earlier, whether the swap is worth it can depend on how well the Cummins power plant was integrated into the rest of the factory Excursion host vehicle. The gauges appear to be working correctly (other than the cruise control, which was mentioned still need to be hooked up), so that at least is a good start. It's worth asking for any documentation of who did the swap, as well as parts used. As well as looking for evidence of how well the swap was performed e.g. is dash fuse panel / engine bay a rat's nest of twist connector wiring, or is it nicely spliced & heat shrunk into the factory harness? It's worth checking all factory gauges & systems to determine what is working, and what isn't (if anything other than cruise control).

The exterior looks a little rough from up close e.g. dents in roof, scuffs on driver's side front fender. Whether that bothers you, taking into account what buying price you can negotiate, is up to you.

Pulling an 8k lbs TT shouldn't be an issue. It looks like the factory hitch & 7-way trailer plug are there, and wiring in a brake controller (if not so equipped) should be relatively easy, especially if the factory brake controller pigtail is still in place. With the power of the Cummins diesel, the strength of a built tranny & billet TC, and the overall weight, frame design & construction of the X, towing moderate loads shouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Red Ex
Senior User
Unless you think you can handle troubleshooting any issues I would steer clear of it. It would be difficult to find shops capable to maintain it. As others have posted not knowing how the conversion was done would be scary. If you have emissions testing it could be an issue. I would also think resale would be an issue. I would definetly want a diesel performance shop to take a look at it and give me their opinion.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 PM
5.4T
Elder User
for the extra grands your throwing in you could just get a normal PSD and bulletproof it

Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 AM
f150crewcab
Mountain Pass
Great advice. Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll keep looking.

pdombrowicki: yes, the ebay link you found is the one. It's also listed on craigslist.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f150crewcab
Great advice. Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll keep looking.

pdombrowicki: yes, the ebay link you found is the one. It's also listed on craigslist.
welcome to the forum by the way