1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's ZF5 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Power came back after an hour, but I had other things to do so didn't get back to it. Should finish it up tomorrow. Here are some pic's showing the rotary table on the mill and the two holes I got drilled.

Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are all the holes evenly split? Usually there is one or two that are offset a bit due to balance. I ferget, is that motor internal balance?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The normal spacing is 60 degrees, but one is at 57, which makes its spacing to the next one 63 degrees. Easy on the table as each turn of the crank gives 4 degrees, so 15 turns on most and then 14.25 turns and 15.75 turns.

I worried a bunch about getting the spacing wrong, like backwards. But, using the transfer punch fixed that easily. Now I just have to make sure I'm drilling where the marks are.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Machining Done!

Got it all done today, including chamfering the flywheel. Attached pictures are:
  • Rear view of spacer. Note the .125" chamfer between the pilot, the vertical part, and the flange that runs horizontally. This was planned to be .100" but I made it larger to give more metal in the "sliver" between the front and rear chamfers. The drawing shows the sliver to be .145".
  • Front view. The chamfer in the pocket was one of the hardest parts of the project.
  • Flywheel in lathe with gap in bed removed. The gap had never been out and it took some "persuading" as the paint was thick and part of the backsplash had to be cut away to get it off. Then I discovered that it took my longest boring bar to reach the work. Not surprising then that you can see some chatter in the cut.
  • Original .050" chamfer on flywheel. Sorry for the blurry shot, but you can sorta make the chamfer out.
  • New .125" chamfer to match that of the spacer.
  • Spacer on crank proving bolt holes are perfectly placed - they went in w/o any issue whatsoever and I turned them in by hand.
  • Spacer on flywheel with no clearance between spacer and flywheel, proving the chamfer is adequate. I can't get a .002" feeler gauge between them and there is a significant "clack" when it slides home and hits the flywheel all around the flange at the same time.

This is a perfect point to take off for a long weekend to visit the grandtwins as it is their first birthday. Then when I get back I can finish putting Rusty's engine back together, pull Dad's truck in and pull its bumper, grill, radiator, exhaust system, engine, transmission, t-case, seat, carpet, steering column, brake pedal and bracket, etc. And then the work will begin to put the new engine, ZF5, rebuilt t-case, etc in. Sounds like a lot of WORK! (I see Maynard G for some reason.) But, it was work to get to this point and I'm thinking I'm about half the way there so it must be downhill from here - right?

Attached Images        
Old 08-09-2012, 01:42 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Got it all done today, including chamfering the flywheel. Attached pictures are:
  • Rear view of spacer. Note the .125" chamfer between the pilot, the vertical part, and the flange that runs horizontally. This was planned to be .100" but I made it larger to give more metal in the "sliver" between the front and rear chamfers. The drawing shows the sliver to be .145".
  • Front view. The chamfer in the pocket was one of the hardest parts of the project.
  • Flywheel in lathe with gap in bed removed. The gap had never been out and it took some "persuading" as the paint was thick and part of the backsplash had to be cut away to get it off. Then I discovered that it took my longest boring bar to reach the work. Not surprising then that you can see some chatter in the cut.
  • Original .050" chamfer on flywheel. Sorry for the blurry shot, but you can sorta make the chamfer out.
  • New .125" chamfer to match that of the spacer.
  • Spacer on crank proving bolt holes are perfectly placed - they went in w/o any issue whatsoever and I turned them in by hand.
  • Spacer on flywheel with no clearance between spacer and flywheel, proving the chamfer is adequate. I can't get a .002" feeler gauge between them and there is a significant "clack" when it slides home and hits the flywheel all around the flange at the same time.
This is a perfect point to take off for a long weekend to visit the grandtwins as it is their first birthday. Then when I get back I can finish putting Rusty's engine back together, pull Dad's truck in and pull its bumper, grill, radiator, exhaust system, engine, transmission, t-case, seat, carpet, steering column, brake pedal and bracket, etc. And then the work will begin to put the new engine, ZF5, rebuilt t-case, etc in. Sounds like a lot of WORK! (I see Maynard G for some reason.) But, it was work to get to this point and I'm thinking I'm about half the way there so it must be downhill from here - right?
Nice work. I can see the flywheel chamfer with no problem. Now to wait for more of your progress...

Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Looking quite awesome!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Amazing progress Gary!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
Nice work. I can see the flywheel chamfer with no problem. Now to wait for more of your progress...
Thanks. Progress won't happen for a few days given our trip, but I'll get back at it some time next week.

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Looking quite awesome!
Thanks. Now I'm wondering what I should coat it with to prevent it rusting. Gotta keep it thin or it won't fit in the flywheel or on the crank. Maybe I'll just put anti-seize on it.

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Amazing progress Gary!
Are you saying it is amazing because I'm making progress? How many pages did it take?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Nineteen pages equals 2 & 3/8 eight page analyses...

Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Aluminum stock and custom made spacers excite me as much as the next guy, but there's just something about pics of a dressed 351M/400.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Aluminum stock and custom made spacers excite me as much as the next guy, but there's just something about pics of a dressed 351M/400.
Well, the material for the spacer is steel. Aluminum would have been easier to machine but I didn't think it would be solid enough for that application.

But, the 351M is next on the agenda, and I hope to have it dressed next week so I can start disassembling Dad's truck.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
I want pictures!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
I want pictures!
Don't have a camera and don't know how to post pictures if I did.

Ok, I understand. I'll see if I can remember to take a shot or two at the end of each day. I wonder if I'll run into a limit on pictures or storage first - currently have 268 pics taking up 34 Mb. Anyone know the limits?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Don't have a camera and don't know how to post pictures if I did.

Ok, I understand. I'll see if I can remember to take a shot or two at the end of each day. I wonder if I'll run into a limit on pictures or storage first - currently have 268 pics taking up 34 Mb. Anyone know the limits?
Not a problem, Imageshack has free accounts.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
ImageShack allows 500 free, need to pay after that.

I've seen the FTE limits talked about in the mods forum but don't recall what they are.

Quick Reply: Dad's ZF5 Swap