1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's ZF5 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Blythen
I hope your Dad's able to settle quickly, Gary.

Good to see the spacer under way.

I had a bad Monday morning 26 years ago, thanks to a 487mm (I can still remember) length of that bar - it came flying out of the lathe as I was working on it @ about 800 rpm; & got me in the head, punching my cheek bone in, but missing my eye & teeth.

Fortunately, not a direct hit! - I wouldn't have walked away if it had been.
But it put me in hospital, with a good headache & some bones poking out! I didn't get to see them, but the guy on the next lathe was freakin' out a bit
OUCH!!!! That's 19+ inches of stock, and at 800 R's that would be moving! That is a nightmare.

I chucked this piece in the lathe and really laid into the wrench to ensure the jaws were tight. Then I stood to the side when I spun it up, but even then it was only at 320 RPM and I only had about 1" hanging out of the jaws. I don't even want to think about the amount of energy in the piece you had come loose. But, I'm sure glad you survived.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Thanks Gary - me too

Old 07-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Got a bit more work done on the spacer today. Bored the pilot bearing pocket out, and got a good start on reducing the 4.000" diameter of the rear part of the spacer down to the 1.749" it needs to be. Boy, is that a lot of metal to take out! Swarf all over the place. Maybe tomorrow I can get the rear part down to about .020" over the finished diameter, leaving the final cut until it is mounted on the faux crankshaft hub.

I've attached two pic's, one before I started and the other after.

Attached Images   
Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
More work on the spacer today:
  1. The first shot is of the rear of the spacer. It is now done to rough dimensions, meaning .020" oversized so it can be turned down to size when mated to the faux hub. However, the length of the pilot on this side is .100" longer and the pilot bearing pocket is, therefore, .100" deeper since I know I'm going to have to turn the face down .020" and wanted to be sure I had enough material.
  2. The second shot is with the stock reversed in the lathe and is before facing it and turning it to the proper diameter.
  3. Third is turned to the proper diameter plus .020" and the thickness reduced to .320", meaning .020" over the finished size.
  4. Last shot is of the recess for the crankshaft's pilot. I got the recess to 1.375" in diameter, but still have to get it out to 1.750" to accept the pilot. But, it is .220" deep, which works with the pilot as it is .219" deep.
Maybe tomorrow I'll get to finish the pilot recess, take the spacer out of the lathe, and start on the faux hub.

Attached Images     
Old 08-01-2012, 09:09 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to go Dude!!
Looks like it is coming along pretty good.
I'm envious of you and your knowledge of that equipment.
Keep up the OUTSTANDING work...Trav..

Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by truckertrav
Way to go Dude!!
Looks like it is coming along pretty good.
I'm envious of you and your knowledge of that equipment.
Keep up the OUTSTANDING work...Trav..
Thanks! But, my knowledge is limited - I took a one semester course on the lathe and one on the mill at a community college about 6 years ago. At almost 60 when I took it, I can honestly say it was the most fun I've ever had in a classroom.

But, I was there for a different reason than most, if not all, of the others - I wanted to learn and they needed to take the class to graduate. I'll never forget one of the guys coming up after the final to ask what I put on a certain question. When I told him he asked how I knew that, and I said "It is in the book". He said "You read the book???" I didn't have the heart to tell him that I skimmed the book the night I took it home, that I read the section at the start of the course, and I read the appropriate chapter each week.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Thanks! But, my knowledge is limited - I took a one semester course on the lathe and one on the mill at a community college about 6 years ago. At almost 60 when I took it, I can honestly say it was the most fun I've ever had in a classroom.

But, I was there for a different reason than most, if not all, of the others - I wanted to learn and they needed to take the class to graduate. I'll never forget one of the guys coming up after the final to ask what I put on a certain question. When I told him he asked how I knew that, and I said "It is in the book". He said "You read the book???" I didn't have the heart to tell him that I skimmed the book the night I took it home, that I read the section at the start of the course, and I read the appropriate chapter each week.
Taught an ole dog some new tricks.
I am looking into a course for mig and tig welding.
I have a mig(Clarke,old) but works good.
I have a Harbor Freight brand plasma cutter but it has worked great.
I really enjoy using them and figured a little extra knowledge with my limited experience will help.
Anyway,people our age will actually learn better than SOME of the younger gen. Later, Trav...

Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by truckertrav
Taught an ole dog some new tricks.
I am looking into a course for mig and tig welding.
I have a mig(Clarke,old) but works good.
I have a Harbor Freight brand plasma cutter but it has worked great.
I really enjoy using them and figured a little extra knowledge with my limited experience will help.
Anyway,people our age will actually learn better than SOME of the younger gen. Later, Trav...
I actually was thinking about a welding class myself. We went into Owasso yesterday for dinner to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary, and on the way home saw that the new Tulsa Tech building is almost done. Hmmm, wonder if I can get a course in welding?

I have a Century MIG and a plasma cutter, but don't remember the brand. I've built my engine stand, shop crane, and several other things, but it has been a while and I need to build the rotisserie to put the bed and cab on when I'm doing the body work. I have all the steel cut, so could start putting it together when I get the ZF and the engine installed

Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I want your old C6 Gary.

I need to take a welding class, especially if I keep ending up with all this scrap sheet metal. I have plenty of patches that I need to make.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
I want your old C6 Gary.

I need to take a welding class, especially if I keep ending up with all this scrap sheet metal. I have plenty of patches that I need to make.
You may have to fight Bruno for the C6. It is sorta spoken for, maybe, kinda.

As for the welding, my thinking is that it takes better welding to do body patches than it does to do the structural work I've done, like building the shop crane/engine hoist. On the latter I used up bunches of "mistake eradicators" - aka 4" flap wheels.

As for the spacer, I got the front done, meaning the pilot pocket that goes on the crank. Attached are pictures:
  1. Front view of spacer with the pilot pocket finished. ID is 1.752", but it is a pretty good fit on the crank.
  2. Rear of spacer, still sporting its extra .020" on all dimensions for true-up.
  3. Crank and pilot, replete with layout dye to check for high spots.
  4. The spacer on the crank.
Tomorrow I may get to cut the stock for the faux hub and start turning it down. For my benefit, the process will be to:
  1. Face it so the face is true to the chuck
  2. Center-drill it
  3. Drill it through with the tap drill for 1/2-13
  4. Tap it 1/2-13
  5. Face it from the outside and leave the center ~1.775 OD and about .220" tall.
  6. Turn the center to 1.750"
  7. Face from the inside to clean it up.
  8. Mount the spacer using a bolt in the center
  9. Turn the rear pilot down to 1.749
  10. Face it down to .300" thick
  11. Check height of pilot and face it down to dimension
  12. Chamfer all corners

Attached Images     
Old 08-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I may know of some interior panels that Bruno would love to get his hands on, but could be used as a distraction first.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Good job, Gary

Old 08-02-2012, 06:35 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Good job, Gary
What he said.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The Rep Police have me locked up in solitary Gary.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
I may know of some interior panels that Bruno would love to get his hands on, but could be used as a distraction first.
I'm not sure Bruno needs any distraction right now. He's got parts at my shop that he started working on over a month ago and hasn't been back. I hope he's busy at work.

Good job, Gary
Thanks

Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
What he said.
Thanks

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
The Rep Police have me locked up in solitary Gary.
Thanks

Coming from you guys that's better than reps.

Not sure how much I'll get done tomorrow. We have company coming in and I have some things to clean in the house - I've already been advised. And, I need to clean the shop a bit. But, maybe I'll get some done.

Quick Reply: Dad's ZF5 Swap