6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

HPOP ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
bowbender_1969
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPOP ?

Hello everyone been reading for awhile trying to diagnose my truck. I have an 04 late model. After all the reading I thought I had come up with my problem as being the STC fitting. So I ordered the kit and was gonna tackle it. Well a couple of days ago I was reading some more and came up with the conclusion that I don't have the STC in my truck. So I diagnosed it to probably being the plug blown out. Tore it apart a lil while ago and sure enough plug is missing. What a great site here also without it my truck would have been at the shop. I even brought it to a buddy of mine he said I needed both oil pumps and a new turbo and he was gonna do it on the side. The price scared me. And he is a ford tech. I found almost everything I needed to know here. And I am sure I will find the rest I need to know also. THANKS So my questions are.

1: What would be the part number for the kit I need for all the orings for my truck? I don't believe the orings in the STC update are the correct orings. Am I correct on this?

2: What is everyone doing about the plug that is missing floating around in the engine? I read where some found it but do the majority just leave it?

3: Is the most common way to plug it is with a 1/2" plug?

4: How much play should there be in the pipe coming out of the top of the HPOP? Mine seems kinda loose. Is it a fitting that seals when pressure is applied to it?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bowbender_1969
Hello everyone been reading for awhile trying to diagnose my truck. I have an 04 late model. After all the reading I thought I had come up with my problem as being the STC fitting. So I ordered the kit and was gonna tackle it. Well a couple of days ago I was reading some more and came up with the conclusion that I don't have the STC in my truck. So I diagnosed it to probably being the plug blown out. Tore it apart a lil while ago and sure enough plug is missing. What a great site here also without it my truck would have been at the shop. I even brought it to a buddy of mine he said I needed both oil pumps and a new turbo and he was gonna do it on the side. The price scared me. And he is a ford tech. I found almost everything I needed to know here. And I am sure I will find the rest I need to know also. THANKS So my questions are.

1: What would be the part number for the kit I need for all the orings for my truck? I don't believe the orings in the STC update are the correct orings. Am I correct on this? HPOP seal kit 03/04 3C3Z-9G804-AA If you haven't opened it return the STC fitting for a refund or sell it

2: What is everyone doing about the plug that is missing floating around in the engine? I read where some found it but do the majority just leave it?
It's a ball bearing. Good luck finding it. Hopefully it's not in the camshaft drive gears.

3: Is the most common way to plug it is with a 1/2" plug? Not sure about the size but it is a pipe plug. Just tap/thread the pump case

4: How much play should there be in the pipe coming out of the top of the HPOP? Mine seems kinda loose. Is it a fitting that seals when pressure is applied to it? Maybe this is where your leak is? Not positive but I don't believe it should be loose

Answers in red above

Old 03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
bowbender_1969
Cross-Country
Thanks for the part # npcc. Can you tell me if most people find the plug or just leave it in. I don't think it is anywhere crucial I have put about 1500 miles on my truck since it started the long start low power condition. It is my daily driver, I didn't have much of a choice there. And what I mean by loose is whenever I unbolted it from the top of the hpop it just turns really freely out of the way. Do you know what kind of seal is in that union? Or how to get that union apart?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Oh NO not the BB Blew out

Tim Isnt the BB to Big to get stuck in the Gears??

Heres a thread that In saved maybe They said where he found the BB at
been awhile since I read threw it

HPO BB 03-04 pump
No Base oil Pressure - Page 4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

so are you going to Tap it and Plug it????????????????????
Good Luck with it

Stuff like this makes me want to pull the HPOP and thread a Plug into it cause who knows when the BB will Blow out Its very rare

Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 AM
bowbender_1969
Cross-Country
Yes I read that post. I also read one somewhere don't remember exactly where though about someone using one of them camera mounted stethoscopes to find the BB and a magnet to retrieve it, but can't find it again. I am gonna take one more good look for it tomorrow to see if I can locate it and if not, it will have to just stay in there hopefully it is in the pan. And yes I have to pick up the tap and plug in the morning, along with gasket and orings, ScanGaugeII, Upgrade turbo oil drain, and a turbo hose and start going back together with her.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Thanks for the part # npcc. Can you tell me if most people find the plug or just leave it in. I don't think it is anywhere crucial I have put about 1500 miles on my truck since it started the long start low power condition. It is my daily driver, I didn't have much of a choice there. And what I mean by loose is whenever I unbolted it from the top of the hpop it just turns really freely out of the way. Do you know what kind of seal is in that union? Or how to get that union apart?
I'm just thinking out loud here, but in my way of thinking if the BB blew out then you'd have a massive HPOP leak that would render the pump useless, not just a long start low power condition. I don't know that to be a fact though. Maybe one of our good tech's will weigh in........

Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 AM
bowbender_1969
Cross-Country
If I am not mistaken everything I have read said the BB is on the LPOP side that feeds the HPOP. Which gives you the low or no oil pressure light to come on when at operating temp and idling like mine was. And then not supplying enough oil to the hpop to supply the injectors for full power. I am not sure but will report when I get it back together and see what she will do.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I'm just thinking out loud here, but in my way of thinking if the BB blew out then you'd have a massive HPOP leak that would render the pump useless, not just a long start low power condition. I don't know that to be a fact though. Maybe one of our good tech's will weigh in........
thats what i thought too

Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

If I am not mistaken everything I have read said the BB is on the LPOP side that feeds the HPOP. Which gives you the low or no oil pressure light to come on when at operating temp and idling like mine was. And then not supplying enough oil to the hpop to supply the injectors for full power. I am not sure but will report when I get it back together and see what she will do.
The BB we're refering to is a machine port in the pump itself that gets sealed and peened over IIRC. It's been a LONG time since I've put my hands on one much less seen one so I don't remember the location exactly, but I'm fairly sure it's in the pump. I'm not certain how to remove the oil line either but I suspect that your issue may lie there.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
iirc its an 1/8 npt plug you need to tap for. could be wrong.
funny ting is when that ball falls out they will most of the time still start but run poorly, ipr may be elevated and you will normally have low base engine oil pressure showing on the dash when hot.. it may or may not restart.
yes the ball is to big to go threw the screen.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 PM
bowbender_1969
Cross-Country
I made it to town today to pick up all the parts. I plugged it with a 1/2" -20 x 1/2" long set screw. Put thread lock and installed the plug today and will hopefully get a chance to go back with it tomorrow, probably won't finish tomorrow as I got a feeling I will be getting a late start.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
bowbender_1969
Cross-Country
Well I finally got it all back together this evening and she fired up and ran like a top. The culprit was definitely the BB.