6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

20" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I'vegotthenutz
Mine came with the chrome clad on delivery but I just asked my dealer to switch out the clad with the premium with the one sittin right next to it and I would cover the difference. No problem.
That's what my dealer said but they don't have any on the lot so I hope the chrome clad holds up

Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 PM
I'vegotthenutz
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Bobmurp1
That's what my dealer said but they don't have any on the lot so I hope the chrome clad holds up
Dont sweat it, they still look cool

Old 04-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big-Sarge
Thanks for your opinion and response. I saw the new 2012 wheels on a F350 inside the dealership's showroom...and was like "Wow...that is what I need more chrome!!"......I have way too much chrome as it is and will stick with my boring alumimum 20" wheels!
I just couldn't live with my boring alumimum 20" wheels....I found a guy selling his 2012 Chrome clad wheels and bought them....they are getting installed tomorrow. I guess I need to buy some more chrome polish!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Cable Guy
Junior User
My chrome clad 09 wheels had plastic caps on them. Might want to double check before using any kind of abrasive polishes on them. I want to think the caps were similiar to the material in our grills, so you might be fine. Ford calls it chrome, but if you could see the backing structure it is plastic. It could be dipped in chrome on the outside surface I suppose.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Cable Guy...I appreciate the advice. Thanks...Mike

Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Big sarge, what are you doin with the polished alums?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
Big sarge, what are you doin with the polished alums?
I was going to hold on to them for a little while to see how the Chrome clad ones work out. The chrome ones look awesome....but boy do they look like that could be scratched by just looking at them wrong. Time will time.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Ya my thoughts too. I actually ordered changed my order when i found out they were plastic caps ...

Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
Ya my thoughts too. I actually ordered changed my order when i found out they were plastic caps ...
Since my truck is mostly a road queen and doesn't see a lot of off-road use, the chrome clad ones will be fine. The chrome piece is permanently epoxy to the aluminum wheel. It’s also recessed below the outer wheel lip to keep it from getting hit by a rock. Either way I think you made the right choice if you are going to see any serious off-road use. I will post some pictures of my truck with the Before and After wheel swap, so you can see what it looks like. P.S. These chrome clad wheels are selling for $1300.00 on EBAY with $160.00 for shipping.....so when I found a set of them for sale for $650.00 I bought them. They had 32 miles on them!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User

Boring 20" wheels

Super shiney bling!

Get your sunglasses on!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
i want your "boring" 20's sir

Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 AM
New Ford Man
New User
I went from the 11' polished wheels to a new truck with the plastic clad.... yes they look cheap and I doubt they will hold up like the aluminum polished I used to have....Not happy at all...
From 10' away they look good when you get close and touch them different story..
I am looking for aftermarket Summer wheels and tires now and use these things in the winter I guess... Just what I needed another pile of tires sitting around..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Thumbs down

[quote=New Ford Man;11685099]I went from the 11' polished wheels to a new truck with the plastic clad.... yes they look cheap and I doubt they will hold up like the aluminum polished I used to have....Not happy at all...
From 10' away they look good when you get close and touch them different story..
I am looking for aftermarket Summer wheels and tires now and use these things in the winter I guess... Just what I needed another pile of tires sitting around..Does Ford actualy tell you that the wheels are plastic clad? How cheap can these guys get? $1000 for plastic. I thought they looked like crap when I first saw pictures,glad I didnt order them. They will not hold up to the environment a truck lives in. What happens if someone uses chrome wheel cleaner on them at car wash? Noone would suspect that. Ford should put a warning on the window sticker in large letters. It also makes you wonder what other cheapout boneheaded brainfarts Ford has foisted on us or what it has planned.

I give them 5

Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 AM
New Ford Man
New User
I believe it states chrome clad on the window sticker.....
Why would you add Aluminum/plastic chrome wheels to a $60k truck is beyond me. How much can you really be saving by doing that. $8-10 a wheel?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by New Ford Man
I believe it states chrome clad on the window sticker.....
Why would you add Aluminum/plastic chrome wheels to a $60k truck is beyond me. How much can you really be saving by doing that. $8-10 a wheel?
Yes but isnt (chrome clad) misleading? What does that mean? It should say Plastic chrome. Is this plastic chrome stuff that has been used in dashboards since 1970 actualy chrome? It actualy is shinier than chrome. I used to call it fake chrome.

Quick Reply: 20" wheels