6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

20" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
well im not worried about me so much, but if for some reason my wife somehow gets permission to drive the truck, then all bets are off. lol. and as far as rock gardens, i dont want to come up on one someday and be like, oh wait, chrome clad wheels, cant go there. lol. i want built ford tough. not ford pansy ya know

Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't seen them yet, but they have been doing the plastic thing on the F150 20s for a few years now. It is a bad idea with the low profile tire and the plastic protruding so far. Any curb action at all is going to be disastrous.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jlalanas
not a plastic wheel, it's a cast alumimum wheel that is chrome clad, which means it has a chromed plastic cover afixed to it.

So, If you get a bad scratch on the affixed chromed plastic cover can you easily remove the old cover and replace it with a new one?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
no, from what i have gathered, its permanently bonded to the rim. i have contacted the dealer to switch my order. now im on pins and needles waiting to hear back with confirmation. grrr why didnt i know this before

Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WK15
So, If you get a bad scratch on the affixed chromed plastic cover can you easily remove the old cover and replace it with a new one?

Good question, not sure. I have yet to pull off a wheel. It would be a good idea if you could replace just the cover.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:12 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 720Deere
I haven't seen them yet, but they have been doing the plastic thing on the F150 20s for a few years now. It is a bad idea with the low profile tire and the plastic protruding so far. Any curb action at all is going to be disastrous.
They've done it on the superduty's as well. I had an 08 250 FX4 that came with 18" chrome clad steel wheels, same concept but the actual rim was steel instead of cast alum.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
just talked to the dealer. dropped the chrome package so i can drop the chrome clad wheels. phew. had to drop the 6" angled cab stebs too. oh well i wanted those, but they only come with the chrome pkg. added the 20" premium cast wheels, and the 5" tube cab step. now i can sleep tonite. good thing i did it when i did, he said my order was already accepted and close to being built. not bad for a week.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
From what I can see the 20" Premium Painted Cast-Aluminum on the KR Non-Chrome Package are all Aluminum and no clad finish.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Cable Guy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the chrome clad wheels on my 09 Fx4. 3 of them started delaminating to the point that I took the front 2 off. You do not want to take them off (looks like a rough sanded version of the shiny one). Dealership said they had never heard of a wheel delaminating, however I was out of warranty and their only option was to order new wheels. I glued them back on and it seemed to hold ok, but I see it as a huge design flaw that if a hubcap, let's be honest here, comes off, the entire wheel needs replaced @ $400 each. That being said, I was constantly complimented of my factory wheels. You cannot tell they are not chrome unless you know what to look for and get very close.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
ok so ive been reading about chrome clad aluminum wheel. i dont know if i should be worried, pissed, or change my order before its too late. my 08 6.4 has polished alum wheel s and i really love them.
Leather seats,?.tire brand......now worried about wheels...cancel your order????

You should do your homework before ordering.

Relax live with what your ordered!!!

I can see it now... " I want this ,this and this"....... "Oh no wait!!!!!"

Feet first huh?

Shane

Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by srkr
Leather seats,..now worried about wheels...cancel your order????

You should do your homework before ordering and wasting people's time. Relax live with what your ordered!!!

Are you 10 years old?

Shane

first off, your an ***. second, i did my homework. it wasnt til i started really digging did i find out such details. and the reason ive been digging is because im trying to pass time while i wait for my new truck. Ive never had a new vehicle, let alone order one the way i want from the factory. My 08 6.4 has been good to me and I searched for a long time and put a lot of effort in finding something as close to my exact choice as possible. Now that I have the chance to get what i want - im doing just that.

As for the leather, I have decided that since i cant really tell the difference in my current Lariat, and after extensive reading about the two materials in their modern availability, they are both fully acceptable to me.

As for plastic caps glued to an aluminum rim, that doesnt work for me. Sure they look ok and all, but as soon as i knew what i was looking at and did a tap test, they failed to meet or exceed my expectations. Especially for the cost of $1,395 for chrome package and $1,050 for a chrome clad wheel option.

just sayin.

anyway, tonite happened to be the "new owner dinner" at the dealership and while there i dropped the chrome pkg and wheel option and went for the premium cast aluminum 20 (like i have now and love). So glad i noticed cause when i went and checked out the clad wheel up close and personal, i was sooo relieved i didnt make that mistake.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
second, i did my homework. it wasnt til i started really digging did i find out such details.

Shane

Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
btw i havent seen any 10 year olds so far buying a $60k truck, or own a boat, or an airplane, or a motorcycle, or .....eh ill stop there.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
btw i havent seen any 10 year olds so far buying a $60k truck, or own a boat, or an airplane, or a motorcycle, or .....eh ill stop there.

Your Funny!

Congrats on the "new" truck.

Please post more.

Shane

Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
I was thinking the same thing

Maybe my new truck will come with the "Limited Edition" HPFP

Quick Reply: 20" wheels