6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

20" wheels

Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The chrome clad is the same plastic chrome on your front grill, wheel center caps and the top of your mirrors (If you have the chrome package). I agree it’s cheap for a $60K truck but that is what all manufactures do to reduce cost and more important; weight. If you want real chrome on the front of your truck, strap one of those 500 pound cattle guards up there. Although the wheels have a Chrome clad piece attached, there is still an aluminum 20 inch wheel underneath, hence the price. Is it over priced?, absolutely. If people are not happy with the wheels, order your truck with 18 inch wheels and then buy some aftermarket wheels when you get a chance. Also for the record, I have used Turtle Wax Chrome polish for 20 years from everything from Chrome clad plastic to chrome metal bumpers and have never had a problem.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by New Ford Man
I believe it states chrome clad on the window sticker.....
Why would you add Aluminum/plastic chrome wheels to a $60k truck is beyond me. How much can you really be saving by doing that. $8-10 a wheel?
$8-10 a wheel not a big savings on one or two units. but how many super duty trucks are made every year? 500k or something? lets just say 8x500,000=4,000,000. so its not 8 bucks. its 4 million bucks. again just using a generic number. not sure of actual production numbers

Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
$8-10 a wheel not a big savings on one or two units. but how many super duty trucks are made every year? 500k or something? lets just say 8x500,000=4,000,000. so its not 8 bucks. its 4 million bucks. again just using a generic number. not sure of actual production numbers
True, but we pay 60k for these trucks and should get quality. Charge us the extra $40 and do it right but im afraid ford would rather charge us the extra $40 , cheap out, and pocket it. At some point your mousetrap is not better. And its over.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
New Ford Man
New User

No where near 500k units. I know that is near the f 150 I produce parts for the sun visors on them. I would be surprised if it were over 100k SD units sold

And yes I understand the aluminum wheel under the plastic hub cap. It's just the way it is advertised.

I did pick up a left over 12 off a lot. I did not order but if I had irdered the chrome clad wheels I would have been real pissed it does not say chrome plastic hub cap on the order sheet.

Not a real big deal I will just pick up a nice set of polished aluminum aftermarket wheels.
I did however just drop my truck off at the dealer as it was pulling to the left when the brakes were applied and also seems to pull to the left when under acceleration I am assuming it is the rear brakes that may be hung up or possible leaking seal? When I got the new truck home a week ago I smelled something either brakes or oil or maybe both.

I will post their findings when they get it done.

Anybody ever have there truck pull left on acceleration?

Thanks Steve

Old 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
For the record this chrome clad wheel issue is not a Ford thing. Its an automotive industry thing. Many manufacturers are doing it so its not fair to bash ford. Also why are we just pickin on the wheels? The grill is chrome clad and no one is complaining. As are plenty of other items. Im not saying i like it it, but i am able to put it into perspective.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
New Ford Man
New User
Red face

For the record this chrome clad wheel issue is not a Ford thing. Its an automotive industry thing. Many manufacturers are doing it so its not fair to bash ford. Also why are we just pickin on the wheels? The grill is chrome clad and no one is complaining. As are plenty of other items. Im not saying i like it it, but i am able to put it into perspective.
We all know the grills on vehicles are chrome plastic. Been like that since the late 70's
It's just the way the wording is that is all.

Hey I love the truck almost as much as my 11' only difference is my 11' had aluminum wheels that the chrome won't peel off of. Lol

And I had zero problems with the 11' my 12' is in the shop already with 1400 miles and 1 week later. And I know my dealer will get it a taken care of. Just thinking it could have been the porter also that sprayed all the tire shine in the tires and got it in the rotors very good possibility that it glazed the pads on the right side. I believe no one builds a truck like Ford, and this one is only my second I have owned and it was within 18 mo's.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Wheels are different. They see much more abuse. The chrome grill does wear though. Chrrme clad wheels must be a major profit center.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
We all know the grills on vehicles are chrome plastic. Been like that since the late 70's
It's just the way the wording is that is all.
I hear ya. But they dont call em plastic grilles. They call em chrome grilles.

In addition chrome plating can be done to many materials. Doesnt have to be metal underneath. I know we all would like it to be tho to some extent. At least the plastic wont rust tho..

Old 04-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by CornTruckDriver
Wheels are different. They see much more abuse. The chrome grill does wear though. Chrrme clad wheels must be a major profit center.
I agree and am sure ur right about profit. As soon as i realized i ordered platic capped wheels i changed my order....luckily in time. I am a fan of the polished alums with clearcoat. Wish they were forged tho not cast

Old 04-09-2012, 03:10 PM
New Ford Man
New User
BTW nice truck Sarge!!
As soon as I get my truck back I will add a photo of that truck once I figure out how to add it to my garage.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW nice truck Sarge!!
As soon as I get my truck back I will add a photo of that truck once I figure out how to add it to my garage.
Sounds good, I look forward to seeing your truck.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
New Ford Man
New User
Originally Posted by Big-Sarge
Sounds good, I look forward to seeing your truck.

Just got the truck back from the dealer this afternoon....
Truck was pulling left when I hit the brakes seemed to get worse as the brakes got heat in them... as it should.....
Well the truck would also drift left when you got into the throttle also....
They rotated the tires...Dah..
Then they replaced the pads.... still had pulled to left
then they checked the alignment 10* out on the left side and 15* out on the right they needed to order "Sleeves" for the Ball joints? sounds like some sort of a off set maybe? I don't know but the truck only has 1400 miles on it and was 1 week old.
But whatever the truck drives as it should now just like New.....

now how do I post pic's of the new ride???

Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,957 Likes on 2,186 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-forums.html

Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
Just got the truck back from the dealer this afternoon....
Truck was pulling left when I hit the brakes seemed to get worse as the brakes got heat in them... as it should.....
Well the truck would also drift left when you got into the throttle also....
They rotated the tires...Dah..
Then they replaced the pads.... still had pulled to left
then they checked the alignment 10* out on the left side and 15* out on the right they needed to order "Sleeves" for the Ball joints? sounds like some sort of a off set maybe? I don't know but the truck only has 1400 miles on it and was 1 week old.
But whatever the truck drives as it should now just like New.....

Sorry I missed your post earlier in the thread, I also have a similar problem. Only it pulls to the right "sometimes" so I took it in and they found nothing wrong. But at least you have given me some ideas, thanks!