6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
jjaz43
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is about the only benefit to high priced fuel around here . Nobody wants to "borrow the truck" when the needle is a bouncin on E

Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Yes thats the way I understood how they worked what Little I know about them

But this is the first time that I have heard a PSI number to the fuel Pressure up to 26,000 psi Is INCREDIBLE Amount of Pressure I take it that 26K is at the Injector tip

But It seems crazy to me to have a Fuel Injection system with such tight tolerances. I Guess I mean the Fuel Itself has to be Flawless. And then whats going to happen to all those 6.7s when the EPA makes them refine the Fuel even More?? I guess they will all be carreying a Jug of cetain Booster or whatever.

I used to work for an oil company I saw a couple Fuel tanks at diffrent stations that everytime it would rain or snow the water runoff from the parking lot would drain straight into the underground Diesel tank.

Hell Iv even seen where a Private station owner would turn a Garden hose into an unleaded tank after the tanker filled it and left and the owner gave it a shot a water this station didnt have diesel pump or Im shure the diesel would have got a shot of water to

Just to me the HEUI injection system is better/less of a gamble cuz theres ALOT more care taken in a quart of oil the way its pakaged everything. Just seams to me alittle more Pride is taken with oil quality than the Fuel

Why would you spray water directly into one of your tanks? Nowadays, if you were to accumulate more than 1in of water per 10k gallons you would shut down from your alarms. Most drainage systems these days around your fuel tanks are very sophisticated and work very well.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
Why would you spray water directly into one of your tanks? Nowadays, if you were to accumulate more than 1in of water per 10k gallons you would shut down from your alarms. Most drainage systems these days around your fuel tanks are very sophisticated and work very well.

Some shop owners fill a little water to get more bang for there Buck this was not a company I worked for but a 7-11 so remember that one It was a private franchise one so I wouldnt say all of them

all the tanks are not the latest and greatest some dont drain like you think especialy when the Tank Fill Cap is the Parking lot Low spot

One tank leaked at a station and they didnt fix that till the Sub Basement in the hotel next door wreaked of Fuel older tanks though

For the most parrt the Fuel is Good and theres not the Issues I mention but I have seen that stuff happen

Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
06F350PSDDually
Junior User
Originally Posted by Piolet
Well it's obvious Ford is selling them, and good for them too.

I won't be touching either of these model years. I'd love a new truck, and every now and then I go on the website and build my dream truck and think 'If only" ..... but I'm in construction and if DeWalt, Hitachi or Porter Cable made a roofing nail gun that would crap the bed if it got jobsite dust on the nail coil or had to be laid down gently when you're done with it, that model would never sell and it would be black listed in the industry real quick. To be a quality tool it has to be robust.
They don't sell diesel in gallon jugs like milk or oil, with industry standards they have to meet, so it's disappointing to be reading the stories of trucks than can only handle fuel from the teet of the Gods.
Guess there wont be many of them running in the next Mad Max apocalypse.
I am with you in that I won't be touching the 6.4 or 6.7 versions. I wonder if there are just a lot of uneducated people looking at the 6.7 and seeing 500 HP and 800 ft/lbs and going WOW?

Do people really have that much disposable income or have I really fallen that far out of the middle class?

It is funny you mentioned building your dream truck. I used to do that until a couple of years ago when I got a real bad case of sticker shock. I don't do it now because it is so depressing to think I will never be able to afford a new one. It is also depressing to think that part of the reason these truck are so expensive is because of our "friends" in the government. Who the hell needs Al Qaeda or Iran when we have our own government bringing us down.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is something I'm always paranoid about, and why I triple check every time I fuel up, even if it's a familiar station. Last thing I need is to put gasoline or kerosine into my tank, talk about ruining your day, week, and month.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
All this talk about the 6.4 and 6.7 needing "Pure Fuel" or the fuel system sustains expensive damage makes me happier every day that I'm keeping my 7.3L. It's a shame because I would love to have a newer (NOT new, to rich for me) Super Duty. If anything I would opt for the 6.2L. What a shame. Good job Ford on making a truck that lasts like a truck should, NOT!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 06F350PSDDually
I am with you in that I won't be touching the 6.4 or 6.7 versions. I wonder if there are just a lot of uneducated people looking at the 6.7 and seeing 500 HP and 800 ft/lbs and going WOW?

Do people really have that much disposable income or have I really fallen that far out of the middle class?

It is funny you mentioned building your dream truck. I used to do that until a couple of years ago when I got a real bad case of sticker shock. I don't do it now because it is so depressing to think I will never be able to afford a new one. It is also depressing to think that part of the reason these truck are so expensive is because of our "friends" in the government. Who the hell needs Al Qaeda or Iran when we have our own government bringing us down.

+++++++++ 1

There are SO many things said in this post that I agree with (almost sounds like me) that I couldn't begin to give you enough reps even if I wasn't "restricted" at the moment.

Class warfare and the times of the "Haves and Have Nots" are upon us gentlemen. Mark my words.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by JaySVX
This is something I'm always paranoid about, and why I triple check every time I fuel up, even if it's a familiar station. Last thing I need is to put gasoline or kerosine into my tank, talk about ruining your day, week, and month.
I tripple check to
I hold it so I can see the Fuel and it better be the right color & Smell

I asked a Fuel Tanker Driver if it was possible to get the wrong Fuel into the wrong Holding tank at the station (He got really Defensive for a second after I explained to him I wasnt accusing him of anything I just wanted to know) He then said it was totaly Possible to cross contaminate Diesel & Unleaded the Hookup to the Tanker Truck and the Fuel Tank are the same for all the diffrent fuels
So you get a Tanker Driver having a BAD Day it may cost Ya

Originally Posted by machmedic
All this talk about the 6.4 and 6.7 needing "Pure Fuel" or the fuel system sustains expensive damage makes me happier every day that I'm keeping my 7.3L. It's a shame because I would love to have a newer (NOT new, to rich for me) Super Duty. If anything I would opt for the 6.2L. What a shame. Good job Ford on making a truck that lasts like a truck should, NOT!
That Goes for me to and not by choice either
Unless things change my next truck will Be a Gasser
Theres just no way I could make that kinda payment on a New Truck and possibly have to deal with a 19K repair bill
I read on here the other day that one Guys 6.7 payment was 1200.00 a month

Originally Posted by npccpartsman
+++++++++ 1

There are SO many things said in this post that I agree with (almost sounds like me) that I couldn't begin to give you enough reps even if I wasn't "restricted" at the moment.

Got Him For ya Tim

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Got Him For ya Tim
You and me both!

Wondering what the world is coming to...

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by JaySVX
This is something I'm always paranoid about,
I triple check too
[raises hand] Paranoid here too. Double and triple check too.

Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
You and me both!

Wondering what the world is coming to...

Ed
Nice to see your name in green now, Ed!

Stewart

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
prem1
New User
I did this about 100,000 miles ago, seems to be no lasting impact. I was idling for 15 min after fill up then it started knocking, stumbling & smoking like hell, I thought motor had let go and I was 10 mi from home so I just tried to see how close I could get. The smell coming from the exhaust was so bad people were pulling off the road behind me but I made it home, when I decided to check the fuel I just siphoned out as much as I could and put 10 gal of diesel in to see how it was.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Hell Iv even seen where a Private station owner would turn a Garden hose into an unleaded tank after the tanker filled it and left and the owner gave it a shot a water this station didnt have diesel pump or Im shure the diesel would have got a shot of water to
I actually haul Fuel around Charlotte & ill tell u this...YES its possible for an "old" station to get rain water in fuel (new stations are designed really well) but as far as purposely putting it in, I wouldnt worry about that. Gasoline w/ethonel changed everything. Every time we drop we have to put a high quality water paste on the stick to check for water because ethonel does'nt like water at all. If theres any evidence of water the station is cleaning out there tanks.
Now obviously theres no ethonel in ULSD but i still check for water anyway. The biggest problem i see with small/old stores is that they always keep there tank levels low which means more chance of pullin up water & junk.

Your best bet is to keep to newer stores that have a high usage of Fuel's & on another note its ok to pump fuel if the tanker is there droppin (yes it stirs tank) but the pickup is only appx 6 inchs from bottom so it actually pushes the crap away from pickup (pickups normally very close to drop) & they have good filtration units, checked by the state.

Most important note:
Dont **** off or get in the way of your Tanker driver

Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by prem1
I did this about 100,000 miles ago, seems to be no lasting impact. I was idling for 15 min after fill up then it started knocking, stumbling & smoking like hell, I thought motor had let go and I was 10 mi from home so I just tried to see how close I could get. The smell coming from the exhaust was so bad people were pulling off the road behind me but I made it home, when I decided to check the fuel I just siphoned out as much as I could and put 10 gal of diesel in to see how it was.
Aaaaaahhhh, but what kind of truck do you drive? I see in your profile it indicates that you have a 6.0L truck. As I posted to the OP, if he drains ALL gasoline out and refills with diesel, he SHOULD be fine since he owns a 6.0L truck.

Food for thought though. I had one such truck it was a 2005 that one of the workers filled up completely was gas. They drove it 'till it quit, which was when it ended up at another shop. They "played with it", unable to figure out what was wrong with it, so in on the hook it ended up on my doorstep for me to determine that it was gassed up within 10 minutes. I drained, and flushed out the system as best as I could, refilled it with diesel and changed both filters, and sent him on his merry way. About a year and 40,000 kms. later, it ended up back on the hook onto my doorstep with at least one or more injector(s) stuck wide open overfuelling to the point that engine damage had been caused. They ended up trading it in, for an '11 6.7L.

The point I'm making, is that if you gas up ANY diesel that utilizes a CR setup and make this mistake, ALL high pressure fuel system components will require replacement, unlike that of diesels that utilize a HUEI system like our 6.0L and 7.3L.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by High Binder
Me: Hello, police... My truck was stolen.

Police: Yeah, we just found it burnt to the ground.
I could see that happening...

Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM
prem1
New User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Aaaaaahhhh, but what kind of truck do you drive? I see in your profile it indicates that you have a 6.0L truck. As I posted to the OP, if he drains ALL gasoline out and refills with diesel, he SHOULD be fine since he owns a 6.0L truck.

Food for thought though. I had one such truck it was a 2005 that one of the workers filled up completely was gas. They drove it 'till it quit, which was when it ended up at another shop. They "played with it", unable to figure out what was wrong with it, so in on the hook it ended up on my doorstep for me to determine that it was gassed up within 10 minutes. I drained, and flushed out the system as best as I could, refilled it with diesel and changed both filters, and sent him on his merry way. About a year and 40,000 kms. later, it ended up back on the hook onto my doorstep with at least one or more injector(s) stuck wide open overfuelling to the point that engine damage had been caused. They ended up trading it in, for an '11 6.7L.

The point I'm making, is that if you gas up ANY diesel that utilizes a CR setup and make this mistake, ALL high pressure fuel system components will require replacement, unlike that of diesels that utilize a HUEI system like our 6.0L and 7.3L.
Yeah, I wasn't doubting what you're saying, I seen that he was in a 6.0 also so just thought I'd throw it out there since it's quite worrisome when you first realize what happened.

Quick Reply: BIG MISTAKE!!!!