5r110w trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 PM
allimport
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5r110w trans issue

hellp, i have a 2006 6.0 auto

i notices that when i put the truck into reverse is bobbles( almost like a slip but shakes) a little when i touch the gas at first.. also noticed that 4th gear is also acting like it is slipping.
seems almost as if their is not enough pressure in 4th when it tries to shift because i can hardly hit the gas & it still slips a little. & when i go uphill it will slip then bang into gear real hard witch to me says the clutches still have good bite.
i did have a bully dog on the truck but cant see why that would hurt 4th its a high gear that doesn't get a lot of abuse like the lowers.

also is their something that reverse & 4th share as far as shifting because it seems odd that they both are having a issue..

any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
You could have a problem with the EPC solenoid, this solenoid controls line pressure and is known to fail. You will need to have a line pressure gauge installed to know for sure.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:06 PM
allimport
New User
so from what i found 4th gear is hardly used. its the 3 to 5 that is messing up.

to me it almost feels like a o-ring is busted & i am loosing pressure around a solenoid or something. i just dont see why it still slips even if i am hardly on the gas its just not as bad as if i am giving it say 25% or more ( chip is out also) also i notice in the morning it shifts almost perfect the first few times as if the cold fluid is thicker helping a 0-ring seal up or something...
( hence why i think its a o-ring)
so does 3-5 & reverse share something in common such as the "direct clutch solenoid"

also can it be changed without taking trans out..
also is the EPC control everygear, because that would mess them all up & that is not the problem?

sorry for so much questions & thanks for all the help..

Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by allimport
i did have a bully dog on the truck but cant see why that would hurt 4th its a high gear that doesn't get a lot of abuse like the lowers.
I don't understand that reasoning at all. Does the engine not make torque in the higher gears? Does the trans not shift to higher gears? The higher gears take just as much abuse as the lower gears.

also is their something that reverse & 4th share as far as shifting because it seems odd that they both are having a issue..
Yes, they share the direct clutch and the direct clutch solenoid.

so from what i found 4th gear is hardly used. its the 3 to 5 that is messing up.
That's true.

The 3-5 shift is what's called a synchronous shift. The intermediate clutch has to release as the direct clutch applies. If the timing between these two clutches is off by more than 0.030 seconds the shift is either going to bang or slip.

I've read of many people on the forums that had a Bully Dog on their truck and needed to replace the transmission. Your experience may differ, but I'll bet not.

so does 3-5 & reverse share something in common such as the "direct clutch solenoid"
They share the direct clutch and direct clutch solenoid.

also can it be changed without taking trans out..
The solenoid yes, the clutch no.
also is the EPC control everygear,
Yes it does.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 AM
allimport
New User
reverse is actually feels different than the 3-5 shift because it makes the truck feel like im going over like small bumps as it tries to go into gear....( like a pulsation).
& if they share the same clutch setup u would think if reverse is so bad i cant even see how the 3-5 shift would hold at all. but i guess if things are starting to wear out then they would act different.. diffrent speeds ect...
thx for your help..

ive got 140k on the truck & have had bully dog since 5k i leave it on extreme & hard shift & think it has actually saved my trans up to this point.. ive towed 30ft boats race trailer everything wit no issues just cant hit the gas hard.. i can say i am deff pleased with how things have held up..

truck had deff been through some stuff already.. used to drag race it in 4H
snapped the rear pinion about 90k that was a scary moment. but other than that truck has been soild. did head studs at 60k with the EGR delete under warranty cause the heads lifted.. other than that stock truck

Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 PM
allimport
New User
so the trans started a new issue today. now the check engine light is coming on alot more.
so when the truck gets into overdrive around say 60-70mph. it will kick out of overdrive then drop a gear real fast not sure if its 3 or 4th it goes into but at say 55pmh the rpm is at 2200rpm.
but it will stay their & not shift out. & while it does this the tow/haul light starts to flashes. the funny thing is that if i stop & take off it will shift all the gears PERFECT.. as if the clutches are fine. but it does 3 shifts. not sure if it is shifting to 4th or 5th gear but it shift with no "slip" & at full throttle. but will not shift past that. went to 90mph & still no shift. but went perfect.. so i get 55pmh at 2200 rpm.
also if i shut the truck off the tow/haul flash goes off but engine light stays on with code 0700.
so does that sound like a solinod problem or what?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
It sounds like a what.

Without knowing what codes are stored in the PCM that's the best I can do. Pay someone to read the codes. Without codes nobody knows what's wrong.