6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

RECON LED Cab Light Install with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:28 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dschuffert
More pictures from the install:
Old thread I know. How do the lights mount/remove? I have the FCC (what your callin recon) lights and I want to pull them off to investigate a cab water leak. Do the light bases just pull out? I can't tell from your pictures. Is there anything between the roof and light base, EG a gasket or sealant?
I have water coming in which drips out of the upper plastic screw access hole cover of the drivers side pull handle on the A pillar, then it drips onto my left knee.
TX
Steve

Old 04-26-2017, 09:34 PM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Old thread I know. How do the lights mount/remove? I have the FCC (what your callin recon) lights and I want to pull them off to investigate a cab water leak. Do the light bases just pull out? I can't tell from your pictures. Is there anything between the roof and light base, EG a gasket or sealant?
I have water coming in which drips out of the upper plastic screw access hole cover of the drivers side pull handle on the A pillar, then it drips onto my left knee.
TX
Steve
They have a rubber seal under the light between the light and the roof. Home Depot has 5200 Sealant in a tube. better yet would be 4000 Sealant. Less permanent. Tape around your lights. Remove your headliner and you will see the screws holding the light onto the roof. Remove the screws and the light should be able to be moved. Pull it up and clean around the area and light with a solvent (alcohol, Acetone) put a bead of the sealant around the the base of the light then reinstall. Use Denatured Alcohol to remove the Excess. It removes the sealant without damaging the lens and or your hands. If you can; use gloves because the sealant goes everywhere. Over time the seals get hard and non-pliable. The sealant stays put when done right.

Side note: don't soak the sealant in the Alcohol when you clean up. Wet a paper towel with the alcohol and wipe it clean. Just as you would if chalking your bathroom.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:52 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
I recall a thread where someone had a leak from a clearance light, that turned out to be caused by a crack in the plastic base of the light. You might simply need to replace the light, if that is the case with yours.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks, guys.

Goatram...explain "Tape around the lights"?

Any tips on headliner removal in a 2011??? Unscrew the obvious items then pull? No moon roof in mine. Its a Super or Extended cab, not a crew cap.
TX
Steve

Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 PM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Thanks, guys.

Goatram...explain "Tape around the lights"?

Any tips on headliner removal in a 2011??? Unscrew the obvious items then pull? No moon roof in mine. Its a Super or Extended cab, not a crew cap.
TX
Steve

Put Masking tape on the truck's roof around the light base. This is on the painted area not on the rubber seal. Do this prior to removing each light assembly. Sealant has a way of making a big mess even if your really careful. After you have removed, cleaned, and sealed the light pull the tape up. 3M painters masking tape in 1/2" and 2" wide strips should do it. If you only want to buy one role get the 1/2" and put down enough pieces down overlapping them to put at least 2" of tape around the light. The Picture shows a tail light but it is the best I could find on google.

For a video of the removal here is a You tube one

part 1
Part 2