1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap antitheft tip for your Superduty

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 PM
tonefordays
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feed back everyone,

Benny,
My thought (at the time) for milling the slot in only one half was that it would be quicker, having to only machine one piece vs. two, I was in a rush to get this done, and also I felt that mirror imaging the slot on the other half might introduce more slop when it is assembled, which I didn't want, and I wasn't sure if there would be any alignment issues either. It's easier (IMO) to slap on one piece that completely captures the lever, and the other piece just needs to fit the pins, then lock it. I suppose you could slot both halves, it would probably work fine as long as it fit good. It's all about the fit. If the two halves separate too much, then there may be enough slop in the fit to work it off enough to drive it. The other important thing is the fit it has against the floor while it is installed. It also needs to fit snug to minimize the amount of leverage the pedal has, if the pedal can be pressed in, then the brake is operable.

As you can see in one of the photos, I have two 1/2-13 button head screws holding on the side bracket, my initial intention was to plug weld the sockets after installation to prevent removal (haven't yet obviously) however I did install the screws with high strength loctite, so trying to remove them would still be a bitch.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Benny76
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tone. Ok. I see your point. That's why I was asking. Still a kick *** little gadget by all means. I really think you should think about putting a patent on it and finding a manufacturer before I do. Then you'll sue me in small claims and I'll just share the proceeds with you. Your descripition of the whole deal will most likely help many F-350 owners. I know it's getting some people thinking. And I never ever thought of a brake lock. If mashed real hard the way yours is set up, will it still disengage the shift lever interlock?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
tonefordays
Tuned
Originally Posted by Benny76
If mashed real hard the way yours is set up, will it still disengage the shift lever interlock?
I've pushed pretty hard on it, just when I was testing it out, and it wouldn't allow me to put it in gear, hence the bigger "foot" piece on the bottom. More surface area makes it harder to push into the floor.

I actually got the idea from something I saw on tv, it's a different set up, but same concept.

I thought about making some for my buddys back when I made this, but the biggest problem is it needs to be customized to fit each vehicle. I really can't see it being a one size fits all with all the variables involved. Pedal thickness, pedal width, lever angle, lever thickness, lever profile, distance from the pedal to the floor, etc.......lot of things to consider, and as I mentioned before, if it doesn't fit good, it won't work very well.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Benny76
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so I tested my own theory. I tried turning the wheel to see what happened. I put a little effort into it and the lock busted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, it didn't really bust, because I stopped before it did, however it bent the loop so bad that I couldn't get the lock off so I had to cut it real quick with my angle grinder. It cracked the chrome on the loop and the way it bent on the pitman arm I do believe it would have stress cracked. Never mind on that idea. Stick with the brake pedal one. Kryptonite can stop Superman but I don't believe it would have stopped the 3 fiddy.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 AM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tonefordays
I've pushed pretty hard on it, just when I was testing it out, and it wouldn't allow me to put it in gear, hence the bigger "foot" piece on the bottom. More surface area makes it harder to push into the floor.

The only drawback I see is that if the thief is smart, when he breaks the ignition lock all he has to do is shift into neutral before starting the engine, then he can put it in gear and go.
Then you have someone driving down the street in your truck with no brakes!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Benny76
Ok, so I tested my own theory. I tried turning the wheel to see what happened. I put a little effort into it and the lock busted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, it didn't really bust, because I stopped before it did, however it bent the loop so bad that I couldn't get the lock off so I had to cut it real quick with my angle grinder. It cracked the chrome on the loop and the way it bent on the pitman arm I do believe it would have stress cracked. Never mind on that idea. Stick with the brake pedal one. Kryptonite can stop Superman but I don't believe it would have stopped the 3 fiddy.
Yeah, there really is no foolproof way to secure your vehicle. If someone is determined, they will take it one way or another. The key is just to slow them down so they move on to a different vehicle.

Something like the Ravelco is a good idea, but even then there is nothing to stop them from pulling up with a tow truck and just hauling it away.

The best bet might be to put a boot on one of your wheels. That's something that's highly visible and will deter them before they even try to steal it. Still not tow truck proof though.

I don't bother spending a bunch of time and money trying to prevent theft. That's what I have insurance for. My deductible is $500 whether they actually succeed in taking the truck or just cause a bunch of damage trying.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
I try not to worry a ton about it. I never assume something will "never" happen or be full proof. There are no guarantees in society except death. Most Americans are even getting out of taxes anymore.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cwgu3
Wouldn't it be easier to hide a switch in a discreet location that shuts down power to the fuel pump? Even if it cranks it isn't going to start.

That has been the way for many years in the honda groups. Hide the switch anywhere you like. Thieves don't like a vehicle that doesn't start. Makes allot of noise cranking and cranking and it catches peoples attention to look at who is having trouble.

No possible harm to the truck and much easier than crawling under the truck in the snowbank to put a lock on the steering that may or may not work.