1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Intermittent electrical issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM
bigfix
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent electrical issue.

I've got an interesting issue going on in my 1984 F-150.

Every once in a while my turn signals and blower motor will cease to function. They both stop working at the same time every time. Yesterday the truck would not start. It jumped fine, but I suspect there is a short somewhere causing a drain on the battery, and I also suspect that it's somehow related to the blower motor and turn signal. I've examined the wiring diagram and and cannot find a common link that would cause both the blower and turn signals to stop working, but I'm not very good with wiring diagrams or electrical issues, and of course every time I try to diagnose the issue on the truck itself, the blower and signals start working again when I start it to pull it in the garage. Hopefully some of you good folks have an idea or two to throw at me, because I'm stumped.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:00 PM
mark89
New User
Could be your ignition switch. I've had 2 go bad, one in my 82 and one in my 83 rv. The rv is the one that did many different things, guages pegging, starter staying engaged, heater blower stopping, draining the battery, not starting up and I believe it affected the turn signals also.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 PM
skeneguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happens to me in colder weather, blower and signals won't work. I figured it out to be the ignition key wasn't completely returning to "run" after "start" and the ignition switch not making the correct connections. I just give the key switch a little counter clockwise encouragement and the blower and signals spring back to life. There's was a thread on this some time back but I don't recall a definitive fix.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by skeneguy
This happens to me in colder weather, blower and signals won't work. I figured it out to be the ignition key wasn't completely returning to "run" after "start" and the ignition switch not making the correct connections. I just give the key switch a little counter clockwise encouragement and the blower and signals spring back to life.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

My permanent fix involved cleaning the old lube out of the gears in the column & switch and replacing with new.

White lithium grease in the column, dielectric grease in the switch on the column.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 PM
skeneguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-01-2012, 07:45 PM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by skeneguy
This happens to me in colder weather, blower and signals won't work. I figured it out to be the ignition key wasn't completely returning to "run" after "start" and the ignition switch not making the correct connections. I just give the key switch a little counter clockwise encouragement and the blower and signals spring back to life. There's was a thread on this some time back but I don't recall a definitive fix.
My permanent fix was to manually moving the key back and not relying on the spring action. It is really only a cold weather issue for me.
Jim

Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 PM
piglett
Freshman User
well due to the fact that this tread is already open & dealing with some of the problems i am having with my truck i figured wouldn't start a whole new tread.

i have a 95' F250 xlt 4x4, it's running the 351w,5-speed, & 410 gears with LS rear.
my turn signals & blower motor for the heater have both stopped working
i can tell you that on a couple of really cold days driving was not much fun & i returned home frozen & unhappy

i'm just about to run a hot wire straight from the fuse block to the blower motor to get some d@m heat out of this thing. it's not 1/2 bad if you are heading down the highway. some warm works it way up through the defrost vents & it's do-able. however at slow speeds around town it is no fun. also my turn signals seemed to have stopped working at the same time. they would flash a few times when i started er up in the morning. but now they don't work at all.

the ignition cylinder is "funny" on this truck but why would that make the blower motor not want to work??

please help so i can get the parts that are needed to straighten the old girl out. the truck has a boat load of miles on it however the engine came out of a rolled over forestry truck which had only 50k on the odometer & it runs really well. i have another vehicle (toyota corolla)but this is my workhorse & i hate driving something that clearly not "rite"

thanks guys