Sponsored by: Moser

Windshield Removal/Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Fexx22
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Removal/Replacement

Anybody have any advice on this matter?....I for some reason am having issues with it...I need a new windshield mines cracking and I also would like to put in a back sliding glass before i loose anymore hair....lol...

Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find it's either save the glass or save the rubber. Replacing glass then kick it in. Removing donor glass, cut the rubber..
Then have someone install it!
Windsheilds suck. I guess ive had bad experiences. Back slider windows on the other hand are a piece of cake. With the metal frame around it u can install/ remove without too much worry of breaking it.
If you don't mind which years backglass Guys are interchangable up to what years? The old good replacements are hard to come by that aren't falling apart.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:12 PM
moonley
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To remove, simply peel the gasket toward the center of the windshield on the inside of the cab and push out, working all the way around. It may be easier to have two people working in unison, and use lots of dish soap as lubricant. You can save the glass and rubber doing this.

Putting it back in is harder, and if you don't have experience you may want to hire it out. But if you're the adventurous type, do a Google search for "roping in a windshield". Again, use lots of dishsoap as lubricant

You can reuse your old gasket when you do this, but I recommend buying a quality new one (LMC or DC, not JC Whitney) for your reinstall.

This is the same process for the back glass, but because it is flat the back is easier.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:06 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the windshield...using to much pressure in the corners when installing will crack the glass. My cousin works at a glass place I got him to do mine and I helped when needed.
Replaced the front glass and seal and back glass seal.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:25 PM
GreginKy
New User
Its been 5 years now, but I just had a auto glass shop come to my house and install my back slider and windshield. ...

They didnt scratch my new paint with the glass and I didnt break any windows or get cut up and just got to sit in the shade and watch them install both in less than a hour. So for a $95.00 install fee, I was happy I chose not to attempt the install myself.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:45 PM
whistle1516
Senior User
Is roping the front windshield a pain? I'm getting ready to install mine and just read up on this from a older post. I think the post said to use around a 3/8" rope and spray dish soap or glass cleaner. They said to stay away from a oil base lubricant because of the pain of getting it off the glass.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:11 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
The rope is inserted inside the outside lip and is used to cheat the seal over the windshield opening.

Sounds like you've never done this before so here ya go. This is my method and works for me so for those of you that do it different, so be it:

Tools:
Window/glass cleaner, paper towels
Rubbing alcohol and clean rags
Single edge razor blades
Urethane sealer (from your local autobody shop). I use 3M.
Caulk gun
Nylon cord ..24 inches plus a length long enough to encircle the perimeter of the windshield
A helper.. this is waaaay easier as a two man job.

Read before attempting and ask any questions now

Day One:
1. Clean the perimeter of the windshield..and I mean squeeky clean. Use a razor blade to remove all remnants of old sealant or rubber.
2. Windshield seals are coated with a light powder dust so wipe the sealing surfaces clean with a rag and alcohol. Let dry.
3. The windshield seal has a parting line. You can either center it at the top or bottom of the windshield. Your call. Personally, I like the parting line (seam) on the bottom.
4. Test fit the seal dry on the windshield ensuring that it is fully seated. Apply some masking tape perpendicular and across the seal to keep it indexed.
5. Now, remove one half of the seal but leave the other half on. This is to index the seal so it doesn't move in either direction. Presumably this is the side where it is not taped.
6. Cut the tip off the urethane sealant and inject a /14-inch bead in the bottom of the seal along the entire length that is loose, then install it on the windshield again ensuring that it is fully seated. You can apply some masking tape to ensure it is not pulled while doing the same procedure on the other, unglued half of the seal.

Ensure that there is a continuous bead along the entire perimeter because any gap can create a leak.

I like to apply masking tape 90-degrees to the seal to hold the seal in place ensuring it has full contact with the windshield's edge.

7. Set aside and allow to dry overnight.
8. Now prep the windshield opening by cleaning it thoroughly.

Day 2:
Okay. Now the seal is glued and cured to the windshield, right?
1. Insert the nylon cord inside the outer lip all the way around the windshield. Leave two, 12-inch lengths of cord after where the bit ends meet to form an "X". I prefer the "X" to be on top.
<O</O

2. Grab your helper and center the windshield over the body opening. Spray the body opening and seal with soapy water and get the bottom of the windshield seal to seat over the body flange.
<O</O

3. Now it is Judgement Day.....While your helper applies even pressure at the point where the lip will be persuaded over the body flange, pull one cord perpendicular to the seal, bending the seal over the body flange. Hold the other bit end securely to ensure the cord does not slide. If it is difficult to pull or hold, wrap the cord around a dowel or screwdriver handle to provide leverage.
<O</O

Your helper must be careful not to apply too much pressure because the windshield can crack!!
<O</O

4. Keep pulling the cord away from the seal and "cheat" the seal over the body flange along the entire perimeter of the windshield. You may find that pulling the cord in a circular motion can walk the seal over the flange.
<O</O

That's the best I can do over the internet without being there myself. Be patient and good luck!!!