Laughing Gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool thnks for the info john!!! Merry Xmas

Old 12-25-2011, 01:44 PM
1stgen3rdgendodge
Senior User
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
The older Dodge Cummins trucks don't even have one, they have a road draft tube...
Yep my 93 1st Gen had a tube than ran straight to the ground. My 01 is gonna have a setup like that soon as the factory puke bottle collector thingy ma bob is making a mess all over the front of the engine and radiator now.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:10 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My question on this topic is what does a CDR actually "DO"?? You can blow through the thing both directions, and it doesnt seem to have any special ability to pull the oil out of the air before it passes it into the intake. At this point im planning on a RDT via breather cap mounted behind the access cover on the IP gear housing. I dont want the rdt to make a mess under my pickup and where i park it thus the breather cap, but it appears to me that the CDR is all but useless, unless mine is shot... that might be why i think that.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:34 PM
swimnshoot
Junior User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
My question on this topic is what does a CDR actually "DO"?? You can blow through the thing both directions, and it doesnt seem to have any special ability to pull the oil out of the air before it passes it into the intake. At this point im planning on a RDT via breather cap mounted behind the access cover on the IP gear housing. I dont want the rdt to make a mess under my pickup and where i park it thus the breather cap, but it appears to me that the CDR is all but useless, unless mine is shot... that might be why i think that.

OK, so what is an RDT ?

Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDT= Road Draft Tube

Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by swimnshoot
OK, so what is an RDT ?
Road draft tube. Just vents the positive crank case pressure into the atmosphere.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:25 AM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I would have to second exactly what you've stated. My truck burns a buttload of oil through the CDR (turbo compressor is soaked in oil) I figured maybe my original CDR was bad so I purchased a new one. You can blow through it in both directions with zero resistance just as the old one I thought was bad. If I pull the hose off the intake it just blows vapor out like a chimney. I bought some supplies to build myself my own attachment ala oil catch can style to sit in place of the CDR. At least a PCV valve acts like a check valve. I should really cut apart my old one as it's my opinion that a CDR is an over-priced tube

Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Remember, engine oil acts like fuel in a diesel. If you have a lot of blow-by, and it's plumbed directly to the intake, it can cause a run-away engine...

Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
eh with over 400k on the engine if it runs away it's time for a new engine LOL

Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by swooshcmk
eh with over 400k on the engine if it runs away it's time for a new engine LOL
lol

Phy, our intention here is to come up with something that makes for LESS oil going in the engine and / or atmosphere. My truck burns a little less than 2qt. every 3k. I can live with that. But if i can easily make it 1qt. or even less for the cost of a couple bucks... you can bet your booty im gunna do it... Delo is 14.78 a gallon ON SALE... id much rather burn 4.05 / gallon detzle

Old 12-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Mikey Oldaker
Senior User
on this cdr or behind it. guy showed that there is the glow plug controler behind it.... is that supposed to be sitting in the top of the intake cover there cause if it is mine is missing and it had a **** ton of dirt in it. what do i gotta do to cover it or fix this cause i believe this could be the soulution to my problem?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:21 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What year is your truck? If 1986 and older. It does not have the same glow plug controller. The one I showed there is on my '87 6.9 witch was the very first year for the solid state system, and the control sits right there.

If your an 86 and older, it'll look abit more like my '85 E350 van, the glow plug controller is that thing screwed in the drivers side head, and the relay is under the hood, right infront of the drivers side battery, bolted to the Rad support.

Here you go, made one just for you

Old 12-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Mikey Oldaker
Senior User
Its a 85 and idk it looks like you could stick a 3/8 extension in it but it doesn't appear to have any oil looking down it so im wondering if I should be really concerned about it just being open

Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Mikey Oldaker
Senior User
Its like right behind the cdr and if you out a drt on it how much should it be smoking? Or how much smoke should come out if it?

Old 12-26-2011, 05:39 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

Cdr good bad ugly? So now that its off.... The black rubber tube naturally ripped so now I let this soak in gas for an hour shake it from time to time then give it the blow suck test trhough the weep or pin hole and it should feel the diaphram moving? What do I do with the broken hose? Is there a groumlet that slides over the hose after it gets seated in the nipple? In the mean time can I just stuff a rag in the hole? Or leave it open till I find the correct diameter hose to put back on it?

Attached Images     

Quick Reply: What is a CDR ?