Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Cheyenne: The Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Ah........anyway..... BDawg you got that moter yaked out yet? Hope it well for you.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 PM
BDawg171
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed I did sir! I will let you all know about it tomorrow.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM
BDawg171
Senior User
I got a later start than I wanted to. Finally got under way about 11AM on Saturday morning. Finished up around 5PM so all in all, 6 hrs. Not bad.

I started by removing the exhaust manifold to pipe connections. The driver’s side came off no problem. On the passenger side, one nut was all deteriorated so I knew I would need to cut the bolt. The other one looked good so I hoped it would come off easily. Well, I have been having issues with my ½” impact gun. It just has no power or torque to it. I have taken it apart but just can’t get it going right. It is junk. So I could not get the good one that I thought I could, and I had to cut both.

Next I removed 4 of the 8 transmission bolts, and broke free the engine mount bolts. I am either getting pretty damn lucky at getting most of the hardware off this truck with ease…or PB Blaster is great stuff and doing most of the work. I then put the ratchet straps under the transmission and moved the truck under the chain fall.

Before I went any further, I figured I had better put the engine stand together to see what I was dealing with there.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:20 PM
BDawg171
Senior User
With the truck under the chain fall and lift chain mounted to the heads, I was ready to begin. I put the jack under the tranny and took the weight off the ratchet straps.

I removed the remaining 4 transmission bolts. Then I removed the two engine mount bolts. I’m all freed up at this point. So I jacked the tranny just a bit more and started to lift the motor. Long story short, I found I had to do a lot of small up and down with both the motor and the tranny to get them to separate. Now while doing this at one point, I was standing on the passenger side engine compartment. When I was lifting the motor, I heard a “burst” and what sounded like the release of some air that was under pressure. I didn’t know what to think of this. But I continued up and down with things until I had full separation.

UH OH…I know 77&79F250 said there would be some tranny fluid, but I wasn’t expecting this this much. I had planned ahead and had the pan ready, but now the jack under the tranny was in the way and I could not collect any of the fluid coming out. What a mess that was!!!

At least my task for the weekend had been accomplished. I just pulled the motor, lowered it to just above the floor and left the project for the night.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM
BDawg171
Senior User
This morning I found out what I needed to mount the engine to the stand and headed to the home center. I really am not sure about this engine stand. It seems like a LOT of weight on this thing. I didn’t really like the attachment points to the block, but it was all I could do. So I slowly tested it. Put some weight on it and this is what I got.

I really don’t like this, I have never used one of these, and maybe it’s normal, but I just don’t like it. With all weight on it, I bounced the front up and down a bit and it doesn’t seem like it wants to fall….but did I tell you I really don’t like this thing? Right now it still on the stand, but the weight is being carried by the chain fall until I decide if I should proceed the way it is.

Oh….the “bursting” sound. With the bell housing exposed, I found this laying in the bottom.

And a couple more pieces on a ledge on the back of the block. Just behind the flywheel here.

What is it?

I have never seen springs like this in my life. I’m sure this is what I heard blowing apart. Again, all the pieces landed in a way that they were indicative of being on the passenger side of the truck. Help please.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:20 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Is you compressor regulator set right? And with 1/2 drive impact you need to make sure the air hose is the correct dia. 1/4 hose on a 1/2 dv air impact will not work to well.

Always get in the habit of covering the carb with a red shop rag, just to keep "stuff" from falling into the carb. 2 cents of prevention ='s less headache.

That's not a real ratchet strap BTW, thats a lawn mower in the back of the truck strap.lol Ok looks like it came out ok except for the xmsn fluid on the nice clean shop floor, get some "dry soak". Looks like you christened the shop floor, congrats.

Yea the eng on that stand will be a little scary, that's why I said to give it a diet and take off some miscellaneous pieces and parts. If it makes you feel better set it a old car tire till you need it on the stand.

Or put a piece of 2x4 in between the harmonic balancer and the front stand area, as a load peg leg, and hopefully that will make you feel better. No onto this "air burst sound"....

Well those springs look like something that holds a conveyor belt together of some sort??And we know there is not anything like that in that area, so I honestly have no idea. Hope some other guy has the answer on that one.

And now you can the the casting #'s from behind the starter and figure out if it is a 351M or 400, I would guess 351M? Looking good hang in there, what next?

Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was a good days work! Yep there's a lot of fluid in a c-6.... If you think that engine & stand is scary now wait till it's new, done and ready to install! It will look better with the accessory's removed...

Old 12-18-2011, 05:41 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Excellent work! I am following your progress closely as I too will be doing an engine replacement soon.

You have me stumped on those "Bonus" parts in the bottom of your bellhousing.

That engine stand looks rather scary. I was just going to buy one at Harbor Freight but if that's what we get then I will reconsider.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
You have me stumped on those "Bonus" parts in the bottom of your bellhousing.
I think those are the remains of a starter bendix drive... also Steve I have a couple of stands lying around. You are welcome to use one or both when you are ready for your build.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks OldStyle I will take you up on your offer!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 PM
BDawg171
Senior User
Nah...I know it's the impact gun itself. I have been having issues with it for a while. Time for a new one. I knew you would comment about my ratchet straps! ) I doubled them up for that very reason. They worked just fine.

That stand was from HF. It was not their cheapest one, but cheap just the same. I just found it hard to pony up the real cost of a good one when I will only use it for this project. I think I will take everything off the engine that I can and then should be all set.

I forgot to mention that I did remove the starter before I removed the exhaust components. Not saying that you're not right about those pieces being from the starter, but if that is the case, then I still dont know what caused the strange sound when I was seperating the motor and tranny.

The plan now: Nothing much will happen until after the first of the year. I will then take the motor down just enough to get a look at things and change the gaskets. Then put it back together. The frame work will also commence then as well. Remember, this is just a "get it road worthy enough to drive it for a few months". Someone mentioned about just replacing the frame. If the frame and cab VIN match up, then I really want to keep those original to each other. I would then do ALL frame work now so that that issue was resolved. I know where the frame number is roughly supposed to be, but I have not attempted to clean off the grime yet to try and reveal it. In the event they are not a match, I would then consider finding an alternate frame. I will continue with photo's and updates as they happen.

So things will be quiet for a little bit.....If anyone can come up with a definitive on the strange parts or the noise, post on up! Also, what looks like the washer that split in half, Im pretty sure that they were always two seperate halves. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Well as the FTE story goes on frame vin locations, you are in search of it in two locations, one fairly easy with the truck in is current state, as follows.

Needed: brake cleaner, putty knife, bright lite, wire brush, reading glasses, even more light.

If you get to spraying brake cleaner and scrapping all over the r/h top of the frame section about in line where the alternator use to be, you should be able to locate it with some patience?

And the other one is on the top also, but is currently under the cab floor, in line with the seat? If and when you remove the cab it should be real easy to find due to the hopeful lack of grease and oil in that location compared to the one by the alt. Or get a small swivel neck insp mirror and have at it.

As far as matching up vins I am sure you matched the title with the dvrs side door striker sticker and the dvrs door tag? Look on the top passenger side of the firewall hood seal area for a possible vin tag location.

If you have a different vin tag on the door versus the striker tag, someone could swapped the door.

Sometimes folks swap the door and think the title goes with the door.....wrong. Title goes with the frame stamped vin #.

So what does this mean? "this is just a "get it road worthy enough to drive it for a few months". Seems like alot of work for a little bit of road time? It's your gig, I'm just along for the ride.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BDawg171
If anyone can come up with a definitive on the strange parts, post on up!
OldStyle's correct, they're pieces from an old starter...

Old 12-18-2011, 08:24 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Thanks for the word there oldstyle and Mont HB on those spare parts, now what do you make of the sound?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:32 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
now what do you make of the sound?
You got me on that one Rich, i haven't a clue.

Quick Reply: Cheyenne: The Build