6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Glovebox Door Won't Operate? Any Fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM
homeschoolin
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glovebox Door Won't Operate? Any Fixes?

The latch on my glovebox stopped working. Only my wife was getting in and out of the glovebox during our latest trip, and it just would not open one time. She is not one to force things or be rough with things, nor is the glovebox overstuffed with junk to get in the way of the mechanism. So I am surprised that the latch failed without being placed under any stress.

When I lift the plastic handle on the outside of the glovebox the action of lifting the handle is supposed to mechanically depress the little plastic "catch" inside the glovebox so that the door releases and pivots down. But now lifting the handle on the outside does not move the part on the inside. So once the glovebox is shut it stays shut unless I slip a screwdriver into the small slot between the dash and glovebox door and manually push down the "catch" to release the door.

Anybody else ever encounter this problem? Any fixes that don't require buying a new glovebox door? I have not priced the glovebox door yet because I am afraid that the number will be bigger than I will like.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 PM
HowarD1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might come up with one at a salvage yard if you can't fix it.

Once it is open, squeeze the sides in to let it swing clear down. This will expose the four small screws that attach it to the dash.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 AM
barnettbill
Freshman User
Had a similar problem with mine. a little WD-40 freed up the latch and it works fine now.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Go easy on the WD-40. It and some plastics don't like each other. However if it isn't working you have nothing to lose.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silicon spray would be a better choice. Make sure it didn't get locked by accident, I've heard of them spontaneously locking themselves.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM
homeschoolin
Cross-Country
I called a local dealer and was quoted $159 plus tax for a new glove box door. I took off the door and used my Roto-Zip to cut the black plastic interior layer of the door in a circle around the area where the latch is covered. I tried to separate the black plastic interior plastic from the door (hoping for a snap fit) but the interior was obviously glued on and this was confirmed after I did my work with the Roto-Zip.

The circle cut exposed the latch mechanism from the inside and revealed two allen-head screws that could be backed out to separate the entire latch assembly from the rest of the door. After studying this latch for a while I could see that lifting the handle from the outside was not depressing the spring-loaded "catch" on the inside of the door. Without having a properly operating latch assembly I could not figure out if something had broken on my latch assembly or what caused the handle to stop working. I saw no evidence of sheared plastic or found any loose pieces of plastic rattling around the glovebox. So the failure remains a mystery.

I was able to use a section of sturdy paper clip to reestablish the mechanical connection between the handle on the outside of the door and the "catch" on the inside of the door. I used some black caulk to reattach the plastic that I cut out from the interior of the door. Given the location of the glovebox, its black interior color and the fact that it only tilts open so far, the cut and caulk is not very noticeable. At least it is not noticeable enough to make me want to spend $170 for an entire new door. The door works as good as new. If the latch ever fails again, I will be able to just cut the caulk line with a utility knife to see if I can fix the latch again.

Too bad that Ford did not engineer those glovebox doors so that the latch can be separated without marring the interior of the door. With a snap fit interior I would have been able to buy only a new latch assembly (or do my same paper clip trick). Of course, Ford does not even sell the latch assembly. Complete doors only.