1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

how can i do a 78 f250 cummins conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 PM
78f250dangerranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can i do a 78 f250 cummins conversion?

How can i do a ford cummins conversion into a 1978 ford f250? if you can give me advice or have some pictures i could look at to get an idea how everything is set up. also what would be a good manual transmition to use that will be able to handle the torque?
thanks, Pete M

Old 11-04-2011, 06:54 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which engine do you plan to use? the 12v is simple enough. Use the dodge transmission.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:23 PM
78f250dangerranger
New User
i plan on using a mechanical 12 valve

Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Most of it is just tracking wires down and splicing them from engine to truck. At least thats what i did when i put the IDI in mine. I also switched the tanks, and tank switch valve, so to save myself some time i swapped the whole harness from the cab back. It gets time consuming and confusing but eventually with some trial and error you get the bugs worked out. I even use my seatbelt light and buzzer for my glowplug WTS light and the 'BRAKE' warning light for the water in fuel.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Venture down to the "motor swap" forum & have a look. LOTS of cummins conversions down there. Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum has a bunch of dentside conversion threads as well. TONS of pics between all of them. Just start reading...

As for trans - the ford zf5 or 6 are good, as are the NV4500 or NV5600 out of the dodges. A getrag (found in the earlier CTD dodges) can work well too.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Just buy a Dodge if you want one .............
Why wreck a good Ford by putting Dodge junk in it?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Posts like the one above are pointless - ignore them.

Fools like that don't realize the cummins motor is no more a dodge part than a powerjoke motor would be. They are made by cummins & contracted by dodge, ford, and other companies in general to power theur whatever. The cummins motors are found in everything from bread trucks to bluebird busses to industrial generators to boats. How is that a piece of dodge junk????? Educate yourself before you open your mouth and sound like a fool!!!!!!!!

These motors come in F-750 and trucks like that just like dodges. I've got a pic or 2 to prove it that I can post if need be

Sorry for the rant, but blind brand loyalty & ignorance annoys me!

Here's my build thread if you want to look at a LOT of pics. I have one here too but I started it before they started allowing you to edit your posts here so the 1st page or so of pictures is messed up on my thread here.

1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Posts like the one above are pointless - ignore them.

Fools like that don't realize the cummins motor is no more a dodge part than a powerjoke motor would be. They are made by cummins & contracted by dodge, ford, and other companies in general to power theur whatever. The cummins motors are found in everything from bread trucks to bluebird busses to industrial generators to boats. How is that a piece of dodge junk????? Educate yourself before you open your mouth and sound like a fool!!!!!!!!

These motors come in F-750 and trucks like that just like dodges. I've got a pic or 2 to prove it that I can post if need be

Sorry for the rant, but blind brand loyalty & ignorance annoys me!

Here's my build thread if you want to look at a LOT of pics. I have one here too but I started it before they started allowing you to edit your posts here so the 1st page or so of pictures is messed up on my thread here.

1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Ive owned more Fords than you have even rode in , so I dont think you are the expert you think you are.

Please refrain from calling me a fool again or Ill help you out on your reps again..........................

Im allowed a opinion just like everyone else and my opinion is Cummins and Dodges are junk.
Cummins might be good in a tractor ...............

So take a chill pill and keep out of my posts and face , Ive had issues with you and your know it all attitude before.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
chase, i agree with you. besides, the motor doesn't make the whole vehicle. i don't see why so many people complain about what others want to do with THEIR property.

OP, here's a couple threads to look through:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-crew-cab.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...onversion.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...l-cummins.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ins-build.html

Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I agree on both parts, Cummins builds a good engine, and isnt a dodge engine by any stretch of the imagination. However, would i put a cummins in a pickup? sure wouldnt. But like said above not my truck, people can build their junk and i build mine and were all happy. In Chases defense though, i must admit the OP is asking for help on getting information for an engine swap, not our opinions on brand loyalty.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinford
my opinion is Cummins are junk.
Why let brand loyalty blind you guy, i'd throw a Cummins in my highboy way before i'd ever let a Powerstroke touch these engine perches, to each their own...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by montana_highboy
Why let brand loyalty blind you guy, i'd throw a Cummins in my highboy way before i'd ever let a Powerstroke touch these engine perches, to each their own...
Exactly ................each to his own.
Chase is welcome to his opinion but dont try and get uppity with me because I have a diffrent opinion than him.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I think he was telling the new user to ignore rude posts such as your first one in the thread. Guy makes one post and you start bashin on him for wanting to put a cummins in his pickup. So who is the one with the uppity opinions?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 AM
JB78f150
Posting Guru
Ok lets calm down and answer these questions he has. This is not a thread about what is junk and whats not.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:32 AM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
Originally Posted by Vinford
Exactly ................each to his own.
Chase is welcome to his opinion but dont try and get uppity with me because I have a diffrent opinion than him.
seriously? your opinion is fine and dandy, but OP asked for help with a conversion that you apparently think is sooo sacrilegious. then you go and quote something that contradicts your beliefs almost. if you don't plan on contributing to this thread then just leave. this is not a pissing contest between you and chase. it's people like you that ruin threads with the potential to provide quality information.

/rant.

Quick Reply: how can i do a 78 f250 cummins conversion?