6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Overkill

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 PM
hschiro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Something else to consider in regards to the squatting in this circumstance -

That cap on the bed adds a few hundred lbs to the truck alone. Add in any gear in the bed and the tongue weight of the trailer and it adds up. That's not to say the springs aren't weak, but it may not all be as light as you think. The fiberglass caps with the windows weigh a bit themselves.

On the topic of the lighter springs on the 250's - I would be curious if those with the 250's have the same "bouncing" I do in my 350, usually noticeable over expansion joints on freeways where there is a rhythmic rolling bounce.
Very true. The cap weighs in around 275 lbs. The ride over concrete expansions is very good empty and pretty much smooth with anything in tow. The cap did make a slight difference as well. All I have to compare is my old 05 long bed
that shook the daylights out of me and bounced the dogs off the back seat.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
Partial to Gray as well

My truck doesnt even know the boat is behind it, mileage was the same.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:32 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hschiro
Very true. The cap weighs in around 275 lbs. The ride over concrete expansions is very good empty and pretty much smooth with anything in tow. The cap did make a slight difference as well. All I have to compare is my old 05 long bed
that shook the daylights out of me and bounced the dogs off the back seat.
Thanks for the info.

As to the '05, I used to drive an '05 crew cab DRW for work - hauled cars for about a year. Thats what got me on to diesels, but on top of it the DRW was really stable. It rode OK loaded (you could tell it was heavy though). Then when I disconnected the gooseneck trailer... look out! This is pretty funny too - I rode in the back seat of my boss's '11 chevy DRW on a trip to an out of state conference. If I didn't have my seat belt my head would have been smashed up in the roof. The seats were really comfortable, but when you're in the air they don't do a whole lot of good.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
You can never have too much truck. You never know when you might want to upgrade that trailer. You can make the case that the truck can handle it.
Have fun camping. It's like the old golf saying, a bad day camping is always better then a good day at work.

Have fun, I am going up tonight after bowling, halloween camping this weekend.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:11 PM
xrated
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a bit of "overkill" myself with my 7' x 16' motorcycle trailer.

But, at some point down the road, the trailer will be sold and a 5er Toy Hauler will take it's place........probably in the 30 to 32' range, so the truck will be perfect for that, once the airbags are put on.

Oh, by the way, this is what we use the trailer for. My wife and I are both Instructors with www.sportbiketracktime.com . The organization that we work for teaches high performance motorcycle riding skills on the race track. We get to visit such tracks as Road Atlanta, Barber Motorsports Park, Little Talladaga, Nashville Super Speedway, and others.

This is my 59 year old wife out on the track.........and NO......she isn't about to crash, she's just got it leaned over a bit in the corner

And this is me....I'm 57 years old

Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kmonty2
You can never have too much truck. You never know when you might want to upgrade that trailer. You can make the case that the truck can handle it.
Have fun camping. It's like the old golf saying, a bad day camping is always better then a good day at work.

Have fun, I am going up tonight after bowling, halloween camping this weekend.
I agree! Bigger is better........

Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 PM
hschiro
Senior User
Love all the posts. Great pics all around. We just got all set up. Will post some pics when we get back. Have not been able to post pics directly from my phone.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by xrated
I've got a bit of "overkill" myself with my 7' x 16' motorcycle trailer.

But, at some point down the road, the trailer will be sold and a 5er Toy Hauler will take it's place........probably in the 30 to 32' range, so the truck will be perfect for that, once the airbags are put on.

Oh, by the way, this is what we use the trailer for. My wife and I are both Instructors with www.sportbiketracktime.com . The organization that we work for teaches high performance motorcycle riding skills on the race track. We get to visit such tracks as Road Atlanta, Barber Motorsports Park, Little Talladaga, Nashville Super Speedway, and others.

This is my 59 year old wife out on the track.........and NO......she isn't about to crash, she's just got it leaned over a bit in the corner

And this is me....I'm 57 years old
VERY cool job! Makes mine look pretty crappy
I am an old GSXR guy (from the air/oil cooled days) and used to love track days at Race City in Calgary.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
hschiro
Senior User
We made it back from out local camping trip and had a blast. Only had my phone to take pictures with and by the time I got around to it lighting wasn't too good. This picture originally had my trucks front end in it, but I cropped it on the phone and lost the truck, so is is just of my kids having a great time. Can't wait to do it again!
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-09-2011, 06:21 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This picture originally had my trucks front end in it, but I cropped it on the phone and lost the truck, so is is just of my kids having a great time. Can't wait to do it again!
We all know the truck had a great time pulling the camper up so no loss in the pic there.

Kids look like their chillin', havin' a great time.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
OverKill? What's that, I need everything my truck can give.

and when I get to where I'm going, I unload the horse and get into true off road. This weekends it snowed on us.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:25 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
We made it back from out local camping trip and had a blast. Only had my phone to take pictures with and by the time I got around to it lighting wasn't too good. This picture originally had my trucks front end in it, but I cropped it on the phone and lost the truck, so is is just of my kids having a great time. Can't wait to do it again!
[IMG][/IMG]

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! I love it H!

A real Kodak moment