Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New SCT Live Wire on the way

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New SCT Live Wire on the way

Ok so I finally did it I took the plunge and got myself a Programmer. I have not gotten it in the mail yet but I am hoping it will be delivered tomorrow. Anyways I am fairly new to all of this and I only know what I have read. Right now my truck is stock everything but I plan on modifying stuff a little at a time and i know everybody is going to say I should have gotten the programmer after the Mod's. I also know that most people here use Jody at DP Tuners. I looked around for a while and the best deal I found on the Live Wire came with the EGT kit, the tuner, and 3 custom tunes from someone other than DP Tuners. Everything I have read about this other place that does these tunes has been possitive. So I am planning on only running my truck with the tune that is set up for economy at first. I know this tune still has more power and torque than stock. So my question is. Will it be ok to run this tune in my stock truck for now? and also the live wire gives you the choice of like nine different things you can monitor but you can only monitor 4 at a time I think. Which ones are the most important to watch? I know the EGT's are very important but I dont know what the normal vs danger levels are. I would also like some info on what Mod's I should make first. I do plan on using the "Race" type tunes some once the mod's have been made. Like I said I am pretty new to this and I dont want to destroy my Truck. Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone has to offer.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

This image of an Isspro pyrometer can be used as a reference for EGT safe vs. danger levels:

Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Ok thanks it looks like as long as it stays below 1000 its all good.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

That's when you start paying closer attention, you're okay to 1250*F.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Allright thats good to know. Thanks for your input

Old 09-22-2011, 04:37 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry. I would have recommended gauges, intake, exhaust, before a tuner/chip.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Yea I know and as it said in my original post I know thats what most people recomend on here. but the live wire monitors EGT,boost pressure, air fuel ratio, RPM, and ignition timing so i figured I did not need gauges and I plan on getting new exhaust within the next month. Thats why I created this post was to get some input on what mod's to make and I realize I may be doing this backwards by most peoples standards but I have a couple friends who run the economy tune on their stock trucks for the better fuel milage. the only difference is they are running canned tunes and thats why I ask the question here.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Riffraff Diesel: RDP 6637 Filter Kit You need more air going in too. Later if you do more mods... I said "if" hahaha. If I recall right you can get ahold of Tony Wildman and send him your SCT and he can reflash the tunes for you that way you wont waste any money.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Got the tuner in the mail at work yesterday. By the time I made it home it was getting late but I did get the canned tune downloaded.....Man what a difference!!! It is like night and day I learned real quick to hang on cause the road was a little wet and she crossed up on me before I even knew it....I cant wait to get my custome tunes. I should get them Tuesday or Wednesday. From what I have read about the difference between canned tunes and custom I will be absolutly shocked by the difference from stock. I am going to put in the EGT sensor kit that came with the livewire today. I have looked at the directions that came with it and it looks simple enough the only thing Im unsure of is the location on the exhaust manifold to drill and tap for the installation of the thermocouple. There is a picture but it is not very clear. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:15 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
There isnt a "certain" spot. Put the probe where you can get comfortable with a drill and tap