1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence. pick a digi gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM
rideraa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the fence. pick a digi gauge

Need to pick tuner with gauges or gauges only.

1st step on stock truck = get gauges, not sure I want an engine tune. Kind of like a trans tune though.

Plans are max usage would be a 8' truck camper (2200 max wt ?), occasionally towing up to two jeeps + trailer = 13k-14k more .

I don't need to be a speed demon

The ones I like,
Edge Insight CS (about 300)(+100 for pyro)
Edge Insight CTS(about 400)(+100 for pyro)
SCT Livewire (560) (with pryo.. combo kit)

BTW looks like prices can be improved some by calling the vendors.

Comments welcome.

Thanks
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm in the same delima right now. I want 4 full mechanical gauges, and then a tuner/gauge display as well. But I'm looking to avoid paying $1,000 to do so.

So far, I have come up with this setup, and I think it will do the trick without breaking the bank.

4 mechanical gauges - Glowshift
Glowshift 4 Pod with gauges combo - $276 shipping after use of coupon code. Coupon code "autumn11 is good for 10% off.

Boost
Volts
Pyro
100 psi Fuel
For electric gauges
Scangauge II - $100-130 if you shop around.

I'm going to monitor EOT, EGR Temp, Trans Temp, FICM Volts
So for about $400 you have a full gauge sweep. The SGII is easily programmable to see everything the PCM sees, so you can pick and choose to your hearts content.

As for Glowshift, I've been reading up on them here and on other forums. They seem to be a really good company now. There were some reliability issues at first. But getting 4 gauges and pod for the price of 2 Autometer gauges, I'm willing to try them out.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

btw, tuner wise you should only get the SCT. read around the site a bit and you'll see nothing but bad opinions for the Edge tuner. It works great as a gauge, but craptastic for tuning

Old 09-21-2011, 11:34 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I went with the Edge CS and the dash pod for my truck. The CTS doesn't fit as nicely as the CS in the pod. I can take a pic later if anybody wants.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
cpickner
Senior User
Hey tylus, where did you mount your SGII. I just picked one up on Monday, but haven't installed it yet. I'm trying to figure out where to mount it.

Thanks, Cory.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

dont have it yet. plan on mounting to the top of the steering wheel using double sided tape, next to the hazard button.

either that, or I'll pick up the rearview mirror mount

Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 PM
rideraa
New User
Originally Posted by tylus
btw, tuner wise you should only get the SCT. read around the site a bit and you'll see nothing but bad opinions for the Edge tuner. It works great as a gauge, but craptastic for tuning

x2 from what I have read.

If tuner I will only consider the sct

I really like the looks of the Insight and touch screen sounds easy to program/set up.

But for a few bucks more I can do the SCT and get a tuner. hmmm

Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 PM
rideraa
New User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I went with the Edge CS and the dash pod for my truck. The CTS doesn't fit as nicely as the CS in the pod. I can take a pic later if anybody wants.

The dash pod does look nice.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:28 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
I like my CTS, I got the touch screen b/c I didn't want to waste screen area with the buttons like the CTS, BUT the CTS sits outside of the dash pod, white the CS nestles into it for a cleaner look. I added an ISSPro EV2 100psi fuel press gauge, but mounted it into the dash cover behind/below the gear shift lever. If I add a pyro it'll go on the other side by the pedal adjustment switch. The Insights can be upgraded to cover both of those, but for $$$, and I was very dissatisfied with the options for displaying enough gauges on the CTS. You're playing with fire putting any tuner on a stock 6.0L, you might want to look into supporting mods, or at least know the likely repair costs, before you go that route.

Edge could go a looooong way with adding customizeable options on their Insights, namely getting rid of the "Power Level: I" box on their gauge only setup (the menu button on the CTS also), and giving you more options with locating the analog and digital gauge boxes on the screen. They let you change the background with their software, now they need to let us change how the gauges display. This way I can show EOT/ECT, TFT, Volts, FICM volts, boost, fuel press, pyro all at the same time without it being a blank screen with 8 boring retangular boxes on it that only shows numbers. A 4th analog sweep replacing the menu button would be cool too, be able to see ECT/EOT, TFT, and Pyro at the same time on sweep gauges.

I want Edge to offer these options (pardon the horrible MS Paint skills ):

Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 PM
rideraa
New User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
I like my CTS, I got the touch screen b/c I didn't want to waste screen area with the buttons like the CTS, BUT the CTS sits outside of the dash pod, white the CS nestles into it for a cleaner look. I added an ISSPro EV2 100psi fuel press gauge, but mounted it into the dash cover behind/below the gear shift lever. If I add a pyro it'll go on the other side by the pedal adjustment switch. The Insights can be upgraded to cover both of those, but for $$$, and I was very dissatisfied with the options for displaying enough gauges on the CTS. You're playing with fire putting any tuner on a stock 6.0L, you might want to look into supporting mods, or at least know the likely repair costs, before you go that route.

Edge could go a looooong way with adding customizeable options on their Insights, namely getting rid of the "Power Level: I" box on their gauge only setup (the menu button on the CTS also), and giving you more options with locating the analog and digital gauge boxes on the screen. They let you change the background with their software, now they need to let us change how the gauges display. This way I can show EOT/ECT, TFT, Volts, FICM volts, boost, fuel press, pyro all at the same time without it being a blank screen with 8 boring retangular boxes on it that only shows numbers. A 4th analog sweep replacing the menu button would be cool too, be able to see ECT/EOT, TFT, and Pyro at the same time on sweep gauges.

I want Edge to offer these options (pardon the horrible MS Paint skills ):

that looks great, good suggestions.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM
rideraa
New User
Well for a few extra bucks, not many.

I went with the SCT live wire. Display is a little dated but for the few more bucks I couldn't pass up the tuner portion.

I will not be running the tuner portion till my platform is ready if ever on anything near daily use.

Next short term steps

Coolant flush, and filter kit.

EGR & Cooler delete.

All providing guages / continued reading don't dictate another route.

Thanks for your inputs

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I've heard that the Livewire has had issues with locking up and bricking the ECU.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I've heard that the Livewire has had issues with locking up and bricking the ECU.
they did when they first came out a few yrs back. I havent' heard about them doing that lately though.