1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Oil Galley Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Powermonger
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Galley Plugs

I've been researching this oil leak that I have and have determined that it is the oil galley plug. Or is it oil gallery plug? When I type it in to google, it says that oil galley is just a typo of oil gallery. So first I need to clear that up. So are there tricks to removal and installation because I have seen some posts that make it sound like this may be difficult. Is there a gasket or anything that goes with this? Thank you to everyone who posted and reposted to me in my earlier thread trying to figure out where the oil leak was coming from.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Mdt1992
Senior User
you can get the plug and o-ring seal here. someone else should come in how to get to it, havent had to replaced one yet

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines.

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Old 09-19-2011, 06:25 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Oil galley (or gallery, depending on who you talk to) plug you're talking about it just a threaded plug that threads into the back of the high pressure oil gallery in the head. The only thing difficult about replacing these from what I have heard is that the clearance is so tight. Put a 1/2" ratchet in the square hole in the plug and loosen it until it comes out. There is an o-ring in there that makes the seal. The o-ring is probably blown and that's why you're leaking oil. The links in the post above are replacement o-rings for the plug. Replace the o-ring, then tighten the plug back up.

There will be air in the HPO system making it hard to start and it may run rough for a while, so you can loosen one of the small plugs (the one furthers uphill will remove the most air) in the top of the oil gallery while someone cranks the motor. Leave it loose until you start to see oil coming out of it and then tighten it back up. Like I said the truck may start hard and run rough until you work all the air out of the system and that can sometimes take a good while (up to 500 miles some say...).

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Powermonger
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mdt1992
you can get the plug and o-ring seal here. someone else should come in how to get to it, havent had to replaced one yet

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines.

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines
thank you for your help

Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Powermonger
Junior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
The Oil galley (or gallery, depending on who you talk to) plug you're talking about it just a threaded plug that threads into the back of the high pressure oil gallery in the head. The only thing difficult about replacing these from what I have heard is that the clearance is so tight. Put a 1/2" ratchet in the square hole in the plug and loosen it until it comes out. There is an o-ring in there that makes the seal. The o-ring is probably blown and that's why you're leaking oil. The links in the post above are replacement o-rings for the plug. Replace the o-ring, then tighten the plug back up.

There will be air in the HPO system making it hard to start and it may run rough for a while, so you can loosen one of the small plugs (the one furthers uphill will remove the most air) in the top of the oil gallery while someone cranks the motor. Leave it loose until you start to see oil coming out of it and then tighten it back up. Like I said the truck may start hard and run rough until you work all the air out of the system and that can sometimes take a good while (up to 500 miles some say...).

Good luck!
thank you very much for the info

Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM
91 Dually
Elder User

Bought mine from the dealership. They had no listing for the orings only. Had to buy the plugs with orings on them. Instructions that came with them said to put loctite 277 on threads

Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
I would push for a dealership replacement here. The plug/o-ring is only $10 and there has been an upgrade in the o-ring they use. It is not an o-ring that can slide on (or off) easily. It is put on the plug while still hot and then cools and shrinks onto the plug. It's a very heavy o-ring, as well. I think it's significantly heavier than the one in the photo.

For a coupla bucks more, it's worth it.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
The rail end plugs and O-rings I offer are OEM. Ford can only get these plugs/o-rings in a package of 4. The o-rings are in the bag with the 4 plugs but are loose, not installed on the plug. If you purchase one from Ford, they must open the bag and pick one plug and one o-ring out.

Ford dealerships do not offer the blue OEM o-ring by themselves.

I offer both along with a 10ml bottle of LocTite 277.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Hey, Bob. No disrespect to you and I don't mean to belabor the point, but the plug I got from Ford was a set put together somewhere else. The guy did not grab the o-ring and put it on the plug. You could tell the o-ring was put on the plug while hot and shrunk onto the plug.

It looked like they didn't offer the o-ring alone because it would be a %#@& to try and put it on the plug.

And kudos to you for giving some LocTite away with your set. Ford definitely won't do that.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
None taken but since I deal with these parts daily, misinformation on the net can cause a lot of confusion to many.

Your dealer may have installed the o-ring on the plug simply to keep the parts from getting lost while on the shelf.

There is no "heat setting" process for installing the o-ring on the plug. There is no mention of this on the instructions that come with the plug or in the FORD service manuals. You simply stretch the o-ring over the end of the plug, apply the LocTite 277 per instructions and torque the plug into the cylinder head.

Here is a plug that I just put the o-ring on. Simple process and took less than 5 seconds:

Here is a picture of the FORD plugs and o-rings just as your FORD Dealership receives them. This is a sealed bag with 4 plugs, 4 o-rings and 4 sets of instruction sheets:

BTW, sorry for the mis-undertanding but I do not give away the LocTite 277. It is a rather expensive flavor of LocTite but I do offer it as a separate item.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Thanks for the clarifications, Bob. I appreciate the info.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Powermonger
Junior User
O-rings

Originally Posted by DieselOrings
The rail end plugs and O-rings I offer are OEM. Ford can only get these plugs/o-rings in a package of 4. The o-rings are in the bag with the 4 plugs but are loose, not installed on the plug. If you purchase one from Ford, they must open the bag and pick one plug and one o-ring out.

Ford dealerships do not offer the blue OEM o-ring by themselves.

I offer both along with a 10ml bottle of LocTite 277.
Thank you Bob for another set of o-rings(last set was for my fuel bowl)thanks for the parts and info.