Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
why are u digging up 4 year old posts?

Matt

Old 08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Westnedge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m sorry I’m digging up 4 year-old posts. None of the posts on this thread helped me a bit anyway – none of them pointed to a source where I could obtain the part I needed – I found it on my own. I do believe I have found some new information that may help out someone today (or in the future) – obviously, I’m not trying to help out someone that had a problem 4 years ago.

With your short-sided, sarcastic attitude, it’s not worth my time to be part of this forum.

If you are the owner of this site, you may as well remove my user name and all other information I supplied to join. I do not want to take up your precious server space.

Have a nice day.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:11 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry you feel this way..........

Matt

Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM
ranman59
New User
Looking for clips also

Westnedge,
I broke all 3 clips (2 orange and 1 green) while changing my fuel filter yesterday. Could you tell me where to find replacement clips. The Ford dealer wants $287 for 3 replacement lines.

Thanks,

Ranman59

Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
45auto
Freshman User
holy crap... is it a breeze or does it require replacement of mystery clips, as well as like brake lines? maybe they should just install a hidden explosive charge at the factory that goes off if you attempt to work on the vehicle...

Last edited by 45auto; 08-30-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:36 AM
45auto
Freshman User
that's all i need is to go out on a holiday weekend to do a quick fuel filter change & end up in a fiasco...

Old 08-31-2007, 06:21 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
When I changed the filter on my 2003 I purchased the metal scissor clip removal tool and found it to be useless. There are three different size clips and there is not enough clearance between connection and filter to make use of the tool. I did a search and found the procedure to use a small screwdriver to remove the clips by pushing the fitting toward the filter and then pushing in on large ear of clip with screwdriver to disconnect fitting. It worked great on all three clips. I agree on the rapid flashing most likely being a burned out bulb.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
fatazz350
Senior User
i've replaced a couple and new clips always came w/ the filter.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:56 AM
markfh11q
Junior User
Why is everybody flipping out?

A quality replacement filter WILL come with replacement clips. The one I got from CarQuest did.

Also, those scissor tools don't work because their smallest size is a mite too big. I don't even use the thing. I just roll up a piece of stiff plastic, (like from a paint can cap), and push it into the coupling with a pair of pliers. Works like a charm, cheap as hell, and can fit any size under the sun.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by markfh11q
Why is everybody flipping out?

A quality replacement filter WILL come with replacement clips. The one I got from CarQuest did.

Also, those scissor tools don't work because their smallest size is a mite too big. I don't even use the thing. I just roll up a piece of stiff plastic, (like from a paint can cap), and push it into the coupling with a pair of pliers. Works like a charm, cheap as hell, and can fit any size under the sun.
What clips are you talking about? On my '98 the fuel filter is connected by virtue of the "duckbill" type fittings (the fittings are metal, not plastic like some others I've seen). I believe there may be retaining clips inside the fittings but they are integral to the fittings, or so I thought. Are these the clips you are referring to? Do these clips get installed inside the fittings before the filter end is pushed in?

There are also metal "safety" clips that pop on and off which surround the fittings themselves after the connections have been made, but they have nothing to do with the actual connection itself. My Motorcraft fuel filter did not come with these safety clips. I assume you are not talking about the safety clips.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:41 PM
ranman59
New User
Inside Clips

The clips that I broke are 2 orange and 1 green. They fit inside of the fuel line fitting and then are snapped on to the filter. I found a replacement for the green but not the orange.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 AM
markfh11q
Junior User
Pawpaw, I was talking about the white plastic safety clips. I read ranman's post and looked into fuel filters on later models, and I see what their talking about now.

And I was referring to 45auto's and westnedge's posts when I said "flipping out".

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by markfh11q
Pawpaw, I was talking about the white plastic safety clips. I read ranman's post and looked into fuel filters on later models, and I see what their talking about now.

And I was referring to 45auto's and westnedge's posts when I said "flipping out".

Sorry for the confusion.
It's not you, it's Ford, who is responsible for the confusion.

There seems to be at least 3 different types of fuel filter connectors that Ford has used on Rangers within the past decade or so. There is the "older" method which has the connectors with the removable white clips. Next, there are the "duckbill" types of fittings - requiring the so-called "special disconnect tool" - which seem to have made their appearance right around '98 (which may be a result of the changeover to returnless fuel systems with their corresponding higher fuel pressures). And now, apparantly, Rangers built in the last few years have fuel filter connectors that are color-coded and do not require a special tool of any sort to get them apart.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 AM
dmichael58
New User
Green Clip for Fuel Filter Line

Originally Posted by Westnedge
I finally found a replacement for the clip I destroyed. I'm still celebrating(!!!) and have not yet finalized my fuel filter replacement for my '03 Ranger - I'm working on it. As soon as I finish inventing this wheel, I will post my results.

Does anyone know if a (.jpg) photo can be added to a post?
Where do you find the green clip? I broke the clip but when I bought the filter it didn't come with the green clip. The dealer wants $180 for a new fuel line and another $200 to replace it. I have a 04 Explorer Sport Trac.

Thanks,

Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 AM
dmichael58
New User
Green Clip for Fuel Filter Line

Ranman59,

Did you receive my email?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Changing my Fuel Filter