Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Changing my Fuel Filter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/110014-changing-my-fuel-filter.html)

Aztec-Phoenix 04-06-2003 12:32 AM

Changing my Fuel Filter

OK im not the most truck savvy guy in here by far and that will show when i ask where is is my fuel filter and what are the steps to changing it. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger and i love working with it but im still an infant in many respects.

Also how do you change the flashers, the left blink is really fast but the right blink is fine. Any help?

Rockledge 04-06-2003 08:51 AM

Changing my Fuel Filter

Hello, and Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!!! :-wink

In my opinion, the fuel filter is probably not something that you should try to work on if you are not familiar with your truck. It requires shutting off the fuel inertia switch and you also need a special tool to get the old filter off.

The fuel filter is located underneath your truck, along the left (driver's side) frame rail.

Take a look at this thread on removing the fuel filter:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=104804

Also, you should pick up a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual for your Ranger next time you go to the auto parts store.

Good luck!

big1 04-06-2003 10:06 AM

Changing my Fuel Filter

As to your flasher problem. This usually indicate's a poor ground

70f100longbed 04-06-2003 09:34 PM

Changing my Fuel Filter

I disagree on the flasher problem. You have a blown bulb. Also fuel filters are usually good for 30k. Most parts stores carry the tool to disconnect the lines. To relieve the pressure take the cap off the valve on the ruel rail (it looks like a valve stem on a tire) and wrap a rag around a small screwdriver and push the center part in. Gas will spray out (that's what the rag is for) until the pressure is released.

greenpus 04-07-2003 07:42 AM

Changing my Fuel Filter

You don't need a special tool for the 2000 + rangers. There are 3 hoses and 3 clips. The clips just pop off with a small screw driver.

To relieve pressure in fuel line:
Locate Inertia switch on passenger side, by kick panel under dash. Remove connector from inertia switch. The switch looks like a square box with a large push button on top.

After disconnecting switch, start engine. The engine will run about 3 secs before it dies. Pressure is now released.

When filter is replaced then reconnect switch and turn on ignition but don't start the truck. Let the fuel pump run a few seconds to pressurize the fuel line. Start engine.

PSKSAM2 04-07-2003 07:42 AM

Changing my Fuel Filter

I just did mine this weekend and it was a very simple job (once I had the tool and knowhow). It seems to have made my truck run a lot smoother.

The inertia switch in the Mazda B3000 is very accessible under the carpet to the right side of the passenger's floor area, on the firewall. I think the Ford is in a different position, but I don't have my Haynes manual on me. All you have to do is pull the connector off of it, then crank the car over. It will most likely start at first, but then die (because it has no fuel). I then cranked for about 15 more seconds just to be sure that any pressure was gone.

The filter is in the left frame rail. On my 4x4 there was a metal guard for the transfer case that I took off to make it easier to access the filter. It was four 10mm bolts. The fasteners they bolt into are in the rail, just be sure to reach up and grab them so that you can put it back on later.

There were two metal clips, one on each side of the fuel filter. I guess they are there just in case the quick-disconnect fails, or to make sure that you put them on correctly. They come off easily with a screwdriver or pliers. You just need to unclip the outside part from itself, then back the clip out of the quick-disconnect (move clip toward the filter), and wiggle the clip free of the line.

Be sure to not the direction of the arrow on the filter. It should be pointing forward, as the flow goes from the tank to the engine compartment.

For the quick-disconnects, the special tool is all of $5 at Autozone. It's just a piece of metal or plastic that can go around the filter inlet/outlet to push the springs in the quick-disconnect fuel lines over the ring on the fuel filter. Put the tool on, and slide it toward the quick-disconnect, then firmly but gently pull the line/filter away from each other. It takes a little patience but it can be done. There will be fuel in the lines/filter, but if you relieved the pressue, it should just be what's in the lines. Have a container on hand to drain it into. Pull the filter out of the bracket that it is in.

The install is much easier. Install the new filter with the flow arrows pointing the same direction as the old filter. Just push the quick-disconnect lines onto the filter inlet/outlet until you hear a nice click. Resecure the clips and resecure the filter into the bracket. If you took off the transfer case guard, put it back on. Now, check everything, reconnect the fuel pump intertia switch and start her up!

EDIT: greenpus has some good points on the startup and what the inertia switch looks like.

Rockledge 04-07-2003 09:05 AM

Changing my Fuel Filter

Originally posted by greenpus
You don't need a special tool for the 2000 + rangers. There are 3 hoses and 3 clips. The clips just pop off with a small screw driver.

To relieve pressure in fuel line:
Locate Inertia switch on passenger side, by kick panel under dash. Remove connector from inertia switch. The switch looks like a square box with a large push button on top.

After disconnecting switch, start engine. The engine will run about 3 secs before it dies. Pressure is now released.

When filter is replaced then reconnect switch and turn on ignition but don't start the truck. Let the fuel pump run a few seconds to pressurize the fuel line. Start engine.

Greenpus, thanks for the post. I don't think that a lot of people are aware that 2000+ Rangers have a different (and more reasonable) fuel filter setup. Sounds very similar to the type of setup that's on my Taurus, which I just changed the fuel filter on, and which was not a difficult task at all.

XLTdav 04-10-2003 06:27 PM

Changing my Fuel Filter

I have a 2000 3.o flex fuel you need a special tool. plus no one had an aftermarket filter so i bought one from ford $30 my filter has 2 horse clips and one monkey clip .

greenpus 04-10-2003 06:40 PM

Changing my Fuel Filter

boy did you get ripped off. Actually you don't need the special tool. The clips just come off with a small flat tipped screw driver. And as far as the filter goes the 2000 2.5, 3.0 FFV, and 4.0 all use the same fuel filter. Nothing special or different about your filter.

fuel filter can be bought at www.carparts.com for around 10.00 and that is a motorcraft filter.

Originally posted by XLTdav
I have a 2000 3.o flex fuel you need a special tool. plus no one had an aftermarket filter so i bought one from ford $30 my filter has 2 horse clips and one monkey clip .

XLTdav 04-11-2003 02:55 PM

Changing my Fuel Filter

Im tellin you theres something different about one of the clips i tryed everything in the world to get the sucker off the two inlets are different sizes. i forget wich one waz odd but it sure made life hard.

greenpus 04-12-2003 08:40 AM

Changing my Fuel Filter

I don't know. Maybe it was stuck or something. When I first got my 2000 I was told I needed a special tool and I went out and bought it. I couldn't get the tool to work right and I tried a flat tip screw driver and pryed the clips off.

If you want the tool then PSKSAM2 described it fairly well it looks like a scissors type tool. I think it is actually made for AC hoses but it works on the fuel filters.

DrkStar3 04-12-2003 08:29 PM

Changing my Fuel Filter

when i changed my fuel filter about a month or so ago i didn't need the tool. i just popped it off with a flathead screw driver. didn't really give me that much trouble.

Ken00 04-12-2003 09:54 PM

Changing my Fuel Filter

There are two different types of clips, I think one of them gets pushed in. If you don't get it off PM/email me and I'll look at my Ford manual.

Westnedge 08-07-2007 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by greenpus

Yes, a small screw driver. I think you need to push on the clip, not pry it out of the connector - correct? I tried to pry it out like in my old '93 ranger and I broke the clip in half.

This is where I am with my filter replacement. I have a broken (green) clip on my 2003 ranger's filter connector. This clip is in the connector that goes to the tank and is the larger of the three connectors on the filter. I broke the (2003) clip in half (it's not U-shape; it is sort-of circular), retrieved both halves, superglued it back together to see how it works, and have been searching for a replacement (green) clip for 2 days.

The bottom line from one of three dealers is: they emailed the Ford Motor Company on why they couldn't find a "clip" replacement. The response was: the clip is an integral part of the connector and you have to buy both fuel lines that go from the filter to the tank connection, along with a brake line - around $220!

I have this rectangular/circular green clip sitting here on my desk, and cannot find one anywhere. If anyone can direct me to where I can get one, please help.

I found two like-vehicles at a junk yard today but the mgmt. did not want me to salvage them until they sold the engine in said vehicles. Thus, I am still looking for this green clip! I can clearly see that the clip needs to be pushed in to release it off the nipple of the the filter, and, it is totally replaceable, not an integral part of the connector! By the way; the other two (smaller) connectors on the filter, one on each end in the center, have an orange clip. I believe these need to be pushed in also to disconnect the hoses.

I am new here - can anyone help!

Westnedge 08-09-2007 01:44 PM

I finally found a replacement for the clip I destroyed. I'm still celebrating(!!!) and have not yet finalized my fuel filter replacement for my '03 Ranger - I'm working on it. As soon as I finish inventing this wheel, I will post my results.

Does anyone know if a (.jpg) photo can be added to a post?