No Start...AGAIN! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No Start...AGAIN!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.
There are 2 sensors, the single wire sensor has an orange stripe....it's dark in color, brown maybe.

Ok, new issue. I broke the fuel cap trying to remove it. WTH?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.
My finger points to the sensor in question. You can see the other sensor below, that is the 2 wire sensor. These are between the turbo and the oil filter bowl.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM
npccpartsman
Post Fiend
npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
My finger points to the sensor in question. You can see the other sensor below, that is the 2 wire sensor. These are between the turbo and the oil filter bowl.

OK--I gotcha. That's the oil pressure sender. The two wire is the oil temp sender.

Normally we think of IPR as being under the turbo at the back of the motor. Do you have a way to read ICP and IPR?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:16 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
OK, thank you. The oil pressure sender wire is a bit frayed with about 1/4" of bare wire showing. I'm gonna wrap that back up before I get after the fuel filters today.

I have no way of reading the ICP or IPR voltages.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:40 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
I got it scanned today and found these:

P1876
P1832
P1352
P1359
P1360

Where do I begin? The two 18xx codes are transfer case codes.

The 1352 and 1360 are ignition coil A primary and secondary circuit faults.

Any help fixing these codes would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:51 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
What instrument did you use to scan it?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:52 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Not sure what the guy used, but it was a local garage mechanic. I asked if I could borrow the scanner instead of towing my truck into town(30 minute drive at normal speed) and he didn't feel comfortable lending out a $7,000 machine.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I don't recognize the codes.

One thing that MAY have happened .. aftermarket filters can cause damage to the standpipe in the oil filter housing. Depending on the damage, you can have the same issue as w/ the aftermarket filter installed. HOWEVER, I do see that you now have pressure in the LPOP system (gauge indication anyway) - so SOME improvement has been made. You can still have an issue w/ the high pressure oil system pressure, or even could still have a FICM issue even though you repaired it. If a FICM has low voltage, then it needs to be repaired ... HOWEVER, a FICM w/ good voltage could still be bad.

Also, there is a no-start thread in the Tech folder that instructs on how to get voltages from the ICP sensor. This will determine if you are seeing sufficient pressure in the high pressure oil system. You will need to "tap into" the ICP wires for a voltage reading - a DVOM can be used (I think that a couple of sharp ended probes that could pierce the insulation would work .... without having to strip the wires back). You want to see over 0.82V (IIRC). There are multiple sources on the EXACT voltage - some say 0.8V, but I encountered one example where 0.8V did not allow a start but 0.84V did.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:07 PM
husky_powerstroker
New User
husky_powerstroker is starting off with a positive reputation.
same style of problem with my 6.0

i have no crank, replaced 2 injectors, FICM, PCM, ICP sensore new starter cost me over $2500 in diagnostic time at Ford and still no answer why it will not crank so any help much apprecieated.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:26 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Mine cranks fine, just doesn't run.

I have an extra known good FICM and tried it with no start. I have to go home(6 hours away) tomorrow morning so any testing will have to wait until I get back to the cabin next weekend. I plan on purchasing a scangaugeII next week before I make the drive back up.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
The scangauge will tell you the ICP (HPO pressure). That would be a huge help.

If you do not want to wait, a DVOM is pretty cheap and available, and your ICP sensor is very accessible .......

Old 07-30-2011, 05:30 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I don't recognize the codes.

Also, there is a no-start thread in the Tech folder that instructs on how to get voltages from the ICP sensor. This will determine if you are seeing sufficient pressure in the high pressure oil system. You will need to "tap into" the ICP wires for a voltage reading - a DVOM can be used (I think that a couple of sharp ended probes that could pierce the insulation would work .... without having to strip the wires back). You want to see over 0.82V (IIRC). There are multiple sources on the EXACT voltage - some say 0.8V, but I encountered one example where 0.8V did not allow a start but 0.84V did.
I've been reading that folder quite a bit....would unplugging the ICP and trying to start eliminate that as an issue?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
I didn't recall seeing it - did you ever change the fuel filters?
Did you verify that the upper fuel filter bowl fills up quickly?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:37 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I didn't recall seeing it - did you ever change the fuel filters?
Did you verify that the upper fuel filter bowl fills up quickly?
I was able to change the top filter and also verified fuel coming into the bowl. How quick should the bowl fill up? The key was on for 2 seconds and filled up more than halfway.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 PM
BLADE35
Post Fiend
BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
I've been reading that folder quite a bit....would unplugging the ICP and trying to start eliminate that as an issue?

thats what they say the pcm will use a default value when ICP unplugged Id tryit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Start...AGAIN!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.