6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Putting fuel Tank In Bed How Do I Add It To My Stock Tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 AM
macstrailers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting fuel Tank In Bed How Do I Add It To My Stock Tank

OK i have this Idea that is great but i can figure out the logistics. I am wanting to put a 100 gallon fuel tank in the bed of my truck. I would like to tie it into my stock fuel system. i have no idea how to do this and have found much on here or a few other websites. I do not want to spend the high $$$ for a 50 gallon tank that goes in the stock location. my thinking on this idea is i can still find diesel in a neighboring state for 25 cents a gallon cheaper and i am in missouri weekly. If anyone has done this, seen this done i would like all the info on parts install i can get. or if this is a terrible idea let me know because i can just mount the tank and pump it in when it gets low.(i am just thinking if it was tied in it would be nice) Thanks for the help.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Mich6.0
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can put a motorized valve on the drain side of your auxillary tank and gravity feed the stock tank,just have to remember the vavle is in use. Other than that I would assume that you would have to put a pump in the aux tank and another valve to switch tanks that are in use,and of course you would have to rig up a fuel gauge as well. Probally cheaper and easier to put the 50 gal. in.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by macstrailers
OK i have this Idea that is great but i can figure out the logistics. I am wanting to put a 100 gallon fuel tank in the bed of my truck. I would like to tie it into my stock fuel system. i have no idea how to do this and have found much on here or a few other websites. I do not want to spend the high $$$ for a 50 gallon tank that goes in the stock location. my thinking on this idea is i can still find diesel in a neighboring state for 25 cents a gallon cheaper and i am in missouri weekly. If anyone has done this, seen this done i would like all the info on parts install i can get. or if this is a terrible idea let me know because i can just mount the tank and pump it in when it gets low.(i am just thinking if it was tied in it would be nice) Thanks for the help.
Cheapest and easiest thing would be to get this:

RDS Diesel Install Kit for Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank Fits Ford and Dodge Trucks, Model# 011025

Has worked well for me on two trucks.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 AM
macstrailers
New User
rufushusky
it just ties into the fuel fill hose and it is literally that simple? i was worried about overfilling but if you have used it before with out issue i guess i will quit thinking. simple install i am assuming or is it a tank drop and more?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
rufushusky
it just ties into the fuel fill hose and it is literally that simple? i was worried about overfilling but if you have used it before with out issue i guess i will quit thinking. simple install i am assuming or is it a tank drop and more?
Just ties right into the fill neck, easy install. I left the ball valve open overnight with my 62 gallon in bed tank...never over filled. Works great!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:34 AM
macstrailers
New User
husky,
do you just leave the valve open all the time or just open it when you need fuel?second question is about tanks. this system should just hook up to the drain valve of any in bed tank correct? since you are not hooking up return lines or any thing like that you would not have to buy a tank setup as auxilary correct? also how fast does it seem to fill. the reason i ask is because is it something i can leave open when i go on long road runs towing or do i need ot just flip the valve fill the tank and then shut it when the stock gauge says full. also if i dont want to fill the in bed tank can you still fill with the stock fill neck in the truck?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
it works very well....it will show full on your fuel tank for hundreds of miles....

you can leave the valve open all the time.... close it if you want to use it to fuel heavy equipment or use it as a reserve...

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 AM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
fill the factory tank. then fill the aux tank....open the valve and forget about it.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
husky,
do you just leave the valve open all the time or just open it when you need fuel?second question is about tanks. this system should just hook up to the drain valve of any in bed tank correct? since you are not hooking up return lines or any thing like that you would not have to buy a tank setup as auxilary correct? also how fast does it seem to fill. the reason i ask is because is it something i can leave open when i go on long road runs towing or do i need ot just flip the valve fill the tank and then shut it when the stock gauge says full. also if i dont want to fill the in bed tank can you still fill with the stock fill neck in the truck?
I would fill both tanks with the valve on the aux tank closed. Then at my first stop open the valve on the aux tank and I would not close it until I filled up again. Any tank with a bottom mounted drain will work. In my case I didn't NEED to close the valve on the aux but for whatever reason I did.

Now, I full the primary tank and then fuel the aux....leaving the aux open the whole time. It was safe enough for DOT to let me across the hover dam.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 AM
macstrailers
New User
I am sold on this system. I will order one tomorrow. Thanks for the help much appreciated. Now gotta find a decent deal on a tank that isn't white. Can't put a white tank in my black harley truck. Thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 12:11 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,110 Likes on 1,009 Posts
If the sale is good enough on a white one, they do sell black paint in a rattle can!!!!! LOL

Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
OK so what prevents the main tank from overflowing? It must not, if people are doing this and it works, but it seems like the main tank would overflow out the tank vent.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
OK so what prevents the main tank from overflowing? It must not, if people are doing this and it works, but it seems like the main tank would overflow out the tank vent.
There is a little check valve built into the filler neck adapter, hasn't failed me yet.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:23 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
I see. Cool.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 PM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
The only problem that I have had if you dont use the aux tank for a long time the check valve will get really gummy and stick...use it often and it will work forever...

Quick Reply: Putting fuel Tank In Bed How Do I Add It To My Stock Tank