Windshield Installation - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Windshield Installation

Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Windshield Installation

There was a little discussion on installation of windshields last week....so I documented my installation this weekend with a few photos! Here's the process:

Test fit the seal to the clean glass:

Clean the sealing surface on the windshield frame in the cab...

Here's the sealant that I used....I picked this up from the classic Mustang shop that is around the corner from my office:

Put a small bead of sealant in the grove of the seal...this is the glass to rubber seal

Press the seal onto the glass & wipe off the excess with paint thinner and clean paper towels....wear some nitrile gloves

Put a thin rope into the seal. It has to go all the way around

Here's another view of the rope going in...

Now...put a bead of sealant in the frame. This will be the seal of the rubber to the metal.

Here's the bead:

Put some soapy water on the inside part of the seal where it has to slide over the windshield frame

Slide in one corner of the seal & press the windshield into the frame

Here's where you need a helper!

Start pulling the rope to slip the seal over the frame

While you're pulling, have yout helper maintain firm pressure so the seal is against the frame while you pull the rope

And viola! Windshield is installed!! Wipe off the excess sealant with some paint thinner!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Posting Guru

r_reed is a name known to allr_reed is a name known to allr_reed is a name known to allr_reed is a name known to allr_reed is a name known to allr_reed is a name known to all
good pics, thanks.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Diesel Junky

mechmagcn has a great reputation on FTE.mechmagcn has a great reputation on FTE.mechmagcn has a great reputation on FTE.mechmagcn has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the tutorial. I wish I had used the butyl during the install instead of after, much neater and easier to clean up
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Elder User

Wayne S is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice.Thanks for the step by step.I will be installing my glass soon and will
use this info.Added to favorites.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM
FTE fan

underthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputation
Thanks Dan, Ill file this one in my how to folder, you did a great job on it.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Posting Guru

iwanaflattie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
thanks. should be a sticky
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Bring out the best!

Mr Mayo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for taking your time to post this.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice job on the documentation!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
That windshield looks really nice!

Looks like I'll be the "helper" when you help me install the windshield in my 52 once I get the new rubber for the 5 Star trim.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Senior User

52 M1 Kootenay Kid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Old Dan for the wonderful and informative post.I agree your post should be saved somewhere (tips and tricks maybe?)
All the best!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks for all of the kind words....and yes Ilya....we'll do your windshield as soon as you have the seal.

The part that doesn't show up well is the fact that the sealant oozes out around the whole seal & it took an entire roll of paper towels, several pairs of nitrile gloves and a bunch of paint thinner to clean the excess. Since the sealant doesn't really ever dry, there is no big rush to clean up the mess.

Dan
Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Senior User

55f100tx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great, im going to save this in my favorites. i hope my 55 windshield goes in as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
New User

koyler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks so much answered all my questions!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
So for a 5 Star Extra trim, do you install that first or last?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
For the stainless w/s trim, make sure that the tabs in the cab's w/s opening are cut off, then insert the trim into the weatherstrip and install the windshield.

Short answer, install s/s trim before you install the glass into the cab.