Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Windshield Installation

Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
For the stainless w/s trim, make sure that the tabs in the cab's w/s opening are cut off, then insert the trim into the weatherstrip and install the windshield.

Short answer, install s/s trim before you install the glass into the cab.
So do the tabs exist in a 5 Star Extra cab? And do you use the same adhesive for the S/S trim?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
So do the tabs exist in a 5 Star Extra cab? And do you use the same adhesive for the S/S trim?
If the truck is a 5 Star Extra Cab from the factory, then the tabs would be already cut. No adhesive is needed for the s/s trim. It's held in by the pressure of the weatherstrip and installed windshield.

Just for reference

Tabs (located on top and bottom of the windshield opening frame)

No Tabs (trimmed from top and bottom locations)

Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
If the truck is a 5 Star Extra Cab from the factory, then the tabs would be already cut. No adhesive is needed for the s/s trim. It's held in by the pressure of the weatherstrip and installed windshield.
Thank you sir! That's what I needed to know.

Sorry for the hijack...

Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Not a hijack. It's still relevant to the windshield installation.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 PM
smallello
Elder User
smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.smallello has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice work! That paint looks sweet too!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Krhitchings is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for posting that up. much appreciated

Old 02-19-2012, 08:19 PM
opkomdalen
Senior User
opkomdalen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the step by step with the photos! I plan on replacing this seal this spring and this will sure help.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 PM
27TV8
Freshman User
27TV8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Many thanks! I have a 48 and have the stainless trim from a 5 star, I would have struggled to put in the glass with the four tabs still on. Looks like they are going to be cut out!
Thanks again. This Forum is great. 48 Ford Half Ton Pick Up.
Thomas

Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 27TV8 View Post
Many thanks! I have a 48 and have the stainless trim from a 5 star, I would have struggled to put in the glass with the four tabs still on. Looks like they are going to be cut out!
Thanks again. This Forum is great. 48 Ford Half Ton Pick Up.
Thomas
If you don't cut them, you'll be buying yourself another new windshield.

P.S. This info is also in the service/repair manual.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hey
So is it ok to NOT use the sealer (slilicone).?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM
old_dan
Posting Guru
old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Everybody that I asked, including my friend the auto glass guy, and the guy from the Mustang shop....you want some kind of butyl sealer that doesn't harden. Either the stuff in the tube, or the butyl rope. They both said to stay away from silicone sealers.

Dan

Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks Dan,
I was planning on not using any but Ill wait and buy some,
thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
rhopper
Posting Guru
rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
May I add, get a large suction cup to help hold the glass. It also lets you pull the glass in instead of pushing on it.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by old_dan View Post
Everybody that I asked, including my friend the auto glass guy, and the guy from the Mustang shop....you want some kind of butyl sealer that doesn't harden. Either the stuff in the tube, or the butyl rope. They both said to stay away from silicone sealers.

Dan
If your painter will appreciate that also. That stuff plays Hll with paint booths.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:51 AM
CarlH
Senior User
CarlH is starting off with a positive reputation.
Windshield rubber adhesive

Thanks, Dan. That's what I was looking for.

CarlH
1949 F3 Express

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Installation

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.