Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Who makes a good e4od

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 PM
finitetime
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Thanks some of the short hand in here gets confusing.

When i pulled my 9 mo old trans and seen all the metal in pan yesterday i was ready to agree with you dieseljon. I haven't owned this truck a year yet and I'm about to buy a second transmission. And if the guy I bought i from can be believed it only had 60,000 on a rebuild when I got it.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:11 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
The thing that causes many rebuilds to fail is 95% of the time they are installed and/or adjusted wrong.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's why it's important to maintain and address any problems that may pop up right away to avoid the hassle of a rebuilt

Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM
finitetime
Senior User
As far a having things adjusted that's why I paid someone else to do the work.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 AM
finitetime
Senior User
I told them i didn't think it was right when i got it back and even took it back to the shop twice. But it was little things that could also be caused by the age of the truck and it was always things like I was pulling a load up a hill and it didn't shift right. I had only had the truck 3mo when the first trans went out. I think they thought I was being paranoid and I didn't really know how the truck should feel and behave.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything else with these trannies needs to be in tip top shape. Heck my idi had to get a new tranny wiring harness, and transmission computer, and solenoids. I think if some of these are toast it can cause premature failure. Also get the biggest freaking transcooler you can get and plumb it after the radiator cooler (which also warms in the winter), and make sure the radiator is clean of crap. After all that your transmission should last a very long time. Also make routine fluid and filter changes. You can large cheap trans-coolers from bulk parts, and also the b&m trans-coolers are pretty cheap at a place like summit.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by finitetime
snaponprofile what do you mean by x2 or bts

snaponprofile i have 2 of the smaller Viair compressors and i love them.
Just saying that BTS is another good transmission.

I love my viair too, 400C fast fill.

Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
Geee I didn't even know it was possible to have "Good transmission, and E4OD" in the same sentence!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He is right when it comes to Auto trannies IMHO XD! There is no such thing as a Good Transmission, with E4OD in the same sentence", or "Solid Transmission that shifts perfect" in relation to E4OD.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm surprised F250HD isn't all over us yet for saying that

Maybe he hasn't seen it it yet. lol

Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aune163rd
He is right when it comes to Auto trannies IMHO XD! There is no such thing as a Good Transmission, with E4OD in the same sentence", or "Solid Transmission that shifts perfect" in relation to E4OD.
How many trucks have you driven with a E4OD behind the engine?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Aune163rd
id like to take you for a ride in my truck sometime.

Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
I'm surprised F250HD isn't all over us yet for saying that

Maybe he hasn't seen it it yet. lol
iv been following.

iv always owned manual shift trucks in the past.after getting behind a truck with the E40D (low miles,shift kit,trans cooler,external filter, and very well maintained) i wouldn't ever go back to another standard again.
i really enjoy my E40D.
iv read people bash a E40D after failure,right after one owner claimed upward of 400k on his stock original one before it bit the dust.what came next;you guessed it "time to swap in the zf5" comments lol.
some people just don't like auto's period,and there's no auto in the world that they wouldn't bash.id be willing to bet if the owner claimed 5 or even 600k before failure it would have still gotten bashed.
yet we hear of many 6.9/7.3l engine failures along with many c6's fail before 400k,and no one seems to bash them lol.
you can't convince some people,and you know what really,some people shouldn't drive auto's.some are just better off sticking to sticks.
iv been following the E40D failure threads pretty close around the forums.9 times out of 10,the owners kept driving them with electrical problems right before failure.

there is a good thread about this debate going on in the 7.3l PSD section with some very good points here.it's a great read;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-vs-stick.html
(it's too bad it went all off topic past post #52 though )

Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazy K
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1058923-e4od.html Have a read here. Note the post by MK. If he says it is good then it is.
thats very interesting right there.
iv always figured if my trans blew,id just hit the local salvage yard for another one around 800-1k and be back rocking in a weekend.
however for that kind of $,seems really hard to beat.i wonder what kind of warranty there is on one of those.
too bad they didn't have a more informative web site.

though it looks like they only offer the 2wd diesel e40d.hmmm

Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 PM
finitetime
Senior User
I called all the local shops listed in the phone book and some of the salvage yard and one that is a national used parts locator. The best used one i could find is 2.5 hours away and they wanted $950 for one with 90,0000 miles and 30 day warranty. I was honest and told them a i wanted a heavy duty torque converter and shift kit because I used it to pull and they only wanted to give me a 3-6 mo warranty or 6-8000 miles. I drive about 2800 miles a mo so those warranty weren't worth crap. A mechanic friend of mine is going it get one with a 3yr 175,000 miles from Advance Auto. As bad as I hate to I think I'm going to go with Advance. At least if it craps out on me I can get a new one and they aren't going out of business like the last guy.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 PM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
Well here is what i would do if i was in your situation and didint wana spend big bucks for a awsome tranny. Get another rebuild but this time buy the bts valvebody to get put in and a ats or bts converter with a shift kit and that will get you a great tranny its what lots of guys do to avoid paying the big price for a fully built trans. just mo 02

Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
Also get a extra deep trans pan and a nice big trans cooler. By the way if you think you wanted to tackle it the valvebody and converter are fairly simple diy and if you got that far im sure with slowness and thinking you could get it built on your own.

Quick Reply: Who makes a good e4od