Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mud Flaps

Old 12-21-2014, 04:12 PM
jh225
Elder User
jh225 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Couple of crappy phone pics. Ford OEM Heavy Duty Flaps

Look good, cover tire good & sturdy flaps, but a huge PIA to install.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:55 PM
lanedecamp
Junior User
lanedecamp is starting off with a positive reputation.
There's plenty of room with OEM 20 inch tires and Duraflaps on the rear. It's on the front that it gets tight. I have about 1-1/2 inches with the wheel straight, but when I turn the wheels it's down to perhaps a half inch. The flaps are only a quarter inch, but you know that any ice or dirt will be hanging up there. Now nobody drives around with the wheel cranked over, so in practice it works out all right.

To clarify (this has been covered in extensive threads in the past): The Duraflaps mount using existing holes so you don't have to drill anything. They come in different widths and different lengths, and you can get them with or without the stainless weights at the bottom. The company will also laser cut custom stainless weights for you so yes, you can get King Ranch ones if you want. Or anything else you can provide a graphic for.

The Duraflaps are almost the only flaps that hang low enough so your rear wheels don't throw rocks up at a trailer behind. The longer ones will hang almost to the ground, so they also cut out most road spray that otherwise hits a trailer and also following vehicles. Definitely consider the longer ones if you are in wet or icy conditions. The wider ones are meant for oversize tires, but when you're driving a Superduty with 20 inch tires, the wider flaps on the rear do a great job of keeping crud off the truck and a trailer.

As for durability, I've had them covered with ice and the whole wheel well crudded up, and they just keep taking it. They've been crunched while driving across fields and backing into irrigation ditches. Never had a problem with them. And on my last truck they saw almost 300,000 miles of driving and never even looked worn. The stainless weights are super-durable. You can get them mounted with stainless rivets or with one-sided studs that don't show through to the weight on the rear, but I don't have an opinion on which is tougher. I've had both versions and they both work well.

One thing about Duraflaps and other full fenders is that they keep crap from being thrown back into the rear quarter panel. With the Husky/Ford ones there wasn't much protection for the truck exterior or a trailer, and they didn't even protect the rear quarter panel from stuff sprayed from the inside.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:26 PM
lwk362393
Senior User
lwk362393 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just installed Weathertechs the other day, I think they look great.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Sailor_Roy
FTE Chapter Leader
Sailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputation
DuraFlaps

F-350 DRW......DuraFlaps......Fantastic !!

Front......

We are on the port side

1/4-20 SS Bolts

20" wide rear flap

Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Henry 1
New User
Henry 1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
F 150 King Ranch

I need front mud flaps. My F 150 has running boards that end 2" or less from the wheel well. It also has factory fender (wheel well moldings). I tried Real Truck.com and the parts dept. of a ford dealer. All that is available is a stupid straight flap...no contoured. HELP PLEASE!!

Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 PM
lanedecamp
Junior User
lanedecamp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Call Duraflap. Without seeing your fender moldings, I couldn't be sure, but you should still be able to install mudflaps in front.

A couple provisos:

1. The front wheel wells are very tight on Fords these days, especially if you have larger tires. Turn your wheels to the extreme both directions and see how close you get to the rear wall where the flaps mount. I had barely a half inch clearance on my Superduty, so flaps weren't going to fit. I also tried Ford's own molded flaps and they didn't fit either. The only possibility was some diamond plate aluminum ones that were less than an eighth inch thick but they were going to be noisy and quickly look bad. If you use chains or cables at all on your front wheels, you'll have even more limitations.

2. I did take a piece of broken wheel well material and cut out a section that fit very nicely into the wheel well, It didn't extend beyond the lip of the wheel well, but it was enough to keep a lot of junk off the running boards and lower panel of the front doors. It wasn't the prettiest but it also was pretty much inside the wheel well and only went about six inches below the wheel well, so you didn't really see it anyway. But it did the job pretty well.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Henry 1 View Post
I need front mud flaps. My F 150 has running boards that end 2" or less from the wheel well. It also has factory fender (wheel well moldings). I tried Real Truck.com and the parts dept. of a ford dealer. All that is available is a stupid straight flap...no contoured. HELP PLEASE!!

Ford makes a set of molded splash guards for your truck...

6L3Z-16A550-BA

Splash Guards - Molded For 4X2 and 4X4, With Factory Wheel Lip Moldings, Styleside, Black, 4-Pc Kit | The Official Site for Ford Accessories

Old 12-20-2015, 01:04 PM
jimmystoys
Senior User
jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks a bit geeky but works for me. Was going to make them removable, but don't want the boys to be hunting me down. Need yearly inspections now anyways lol.

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Joe/GA
Senior User
Joe/GA has a good reputation on FTE.Joe/GA has a good reputation on FTE.Joe/GA has a good reputation on FTE.
Dura Flaps on my F-350 Dually also. They are great!

Old 12-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Lonewolftx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Lonewolftx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wink Came With . . .

My came from the factory with the Ford ones installed . . . Maybe a part of the Lariat/King Ranch Pkg?

Old 12-26-2015, 12:09 AM
747Driver
Junior User
747Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did the WeatherTech's as well. Easy install with the no drill. Would like to have them a little longer on the rear though to fully protect the rear fender, but the price was right and the install was no drill and easy.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:11 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
'15 6.7 Lariat 250 with Husky's. Easy no drill install and look great. Also put in the rear tire well liner.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Ginther
Elder User
Ginther has a good reputation on FTE.Ginther has a good reputation on FTE.
Another bump for an old thread..... as I am now in the market for a set of mud flaps.

I'm torn between the Weathertech, Husky, and Ford molded ones.

They all seem to be comparable as far as fit and cost, but I was curious how low each brand extends toward the ground.

From pics I can find, the fronts all seem to hang a little lower that the factory steps. Which is fine, that should keep them clean(ish).

I can't find many (any) pics of the rear to show how low they hang in relation to the tailpipe.

I'm also interested in anyone's input on how well your brand keeps mud out of the rear bumper.

With no flaps, my rear bumper gets loaded with mud. It's a PITA to wash out and can't be good for the reverse sensors.

I'm just tired of this mess every time it rains and we got to the farm. And that wasn't even a messy trip........

Old 01-19-2016, 11:01 AM
LabCab
Posting Guru
LabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud of
You left the best mudflaps off your list. Get Duraflap mudflaps and your worries will be over. I have had them on my F250 and my F350. I got the longer set to protect my trailers and have been very happy with them.
Great product, great service and easy no drill install.
Oh, and American made in Oregon.
Mention Ford Truck Enthusiasts and get a discount when ordering from them.
Pat

Old 01-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Ginther
Elder User
Ginther has a good reputation on FTE.Ginther has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by LabCab View Post
You left the best mudflaps off your list. Get Duraflap mudflaps and your worries will be over.
I looked at them, and the other "flat" flaps. I don't dislike them, but was leaning toward the molded / contoured style.

I'm half tempted to try to find some plain flat 1/8 - 1/4" think black plastic and cut my own. That way I can make sure they cover everything in the fender wells - front to back, top to bottom, in and out. Splash guards everywhere!

Any idea where I can get some? LOL!

EDIT - Saw another thread where someone was looking for guards for the FRONT side of the FRONT fender to keep the front bumper from filling up with mud (by the fog lights). I'd be interested in that too. That's what lead me to think about finding ram materials and making some of my own flaps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mud Flaps

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: