Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
(I'm convinced the black streaks have something to do with the 'natural' degradation of the roof and the 'remover' targets whatever that is...)
On our SAR trailers (aluminum side panels - where the sides meet the roof arch panels) get those black streaks all the time. On ours at least, it's residue of the aluminum being 'washed off' the panels and running down the sides, then drying. We found two types - one is just dirt, the other seems to refuse to come off when washing.

I've found taking a metal polish like Flitz to the panels will stop the "unremovable" stuff. I get the round foam or fabric 'buffing' drill attachments, put some Flitz on the metal (small circles, maybe 1 ft square in the sun, 2 or 3ft square in the shade) and after applying the buffer attachments, they come back black - the black that would usually end up on the sides of your trailer.

I was the first trailer puller to polish the sides of mine, and I left it uncovered all summer. Mine had no streaks, but others (some covered, some uncovered) that did not polish those panels had streaks.

If you have aluminum (or any bare metal for that matter) on the roof, maybe try polishing it as much as you can, and see if the streaks go away.

I now do the top of the trailer every other year, and have yet to see the streaks return.

If you have aluminum rain gutters or roof panels, try it and maybe that will help.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've camped in the driveway, and now we are a week away from our first trip with our camper (6 days, 850-900 miles)

I'm adding a F250/350 30mm rear swaybar and HID headlights and foglights to the Excursion this week. I've adjusted the load leveling hitch and messed with tire pressures to where I think I have the setup as good as I can get it.

After all the wait, I can't wait to get this Excursion out on the road and enjoy it.

This thread needs more camping pics! I'll be sure to throw some up after our trip.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Can anyone suggest a good WD hitch system that would work with a trailer that has surge brakes?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
We've camped in the driveway, and now we are a week away from our first trip with our camper (6 days, 850-900 miles)

This thread needs more camping pics! I'll be sure to throw some up after our trip.
Good luck and happy trails during your first trip.

Camping pics.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:20 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by william_04_x

Camping pics.

Bigdaddybus good luck and enjoy the vacation, We head out in April for our season opener!
william_04_x if that is a pic from where you camp..........I, my family, our EX, ToyHauler, and our ATV's officially hate you !!!!!!! LOL That place looks awesome! Where is it?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I'm in my camper at the beach now! Hangin with all the snow birds haha! I'll post pics when we get home. Car show yesterday and parade today. 75 Degree days and 50ish at night. Nice.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:36 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Bigdaddybus good luck and enjoy the vacation, We head out in April for our season opener!
william_04_x if that is a pic from where you camp..........I, my family, our EX, ToyHauler, and our ATV's officially hate you !!!!!!! LOL That place looks awesome! Where is it?
It's more awesome now that they have water and power HU's in the OHV area(the trailers are center/right in previous pic). Used to be dry camping, or stay in the developed sites and have to trailer to the trails, which sucked. Now you can ride from your rig to the sand, dirt, or water.

Sand Hollow State Park in So Utah.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:18 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Time to Summerize. Had a great week of sun this week while I was off work. The X is running great and ready to pull our Ultralite TT. Pulled the TT out of storage (side of the yard) and put away the cover. Time to redesign the sewer system on this trailer. Hangs down to low, has leaks and over all just a bad design.

The X looks on:

Old 03-17-2012, 07:17 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
It's more awesome now that they have water and power HU's in the OHV area(the trailers are center/right in previous pic). Used to be dry camping, or stay in the developed sites and have to trailer to the trails, which sucked. Now you can ride from your rig to the sand, dirt, or water.

Sand Hollow State Park in So Utah.

That looks really sweet! I just checked and Google Maps says it's ONLY 2344 miles from home, I may have to put in for more vacation time........

Old 03-17-2012, 09:09 PM
popups4rent
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I have been towing all my stuff with a bone stock X so far. I feel the only things I really need are new shocks and a rear sway bar and the X will be just fine.
My X tows to keep its place in the family. Get the rear sway bar, it makes a lot of difference.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:16 PM
popups4rent
Senior User
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Can anyone suggest a good WD hitch system that would work with a trailer that has surge brakes?
Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Product Info - Compatibility

I do not work for the company, but am a distributor and use 15 of the hitches on our rental campers.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:17 PM
popups4rent
Senior User
I have 32 campers from 10' popup to 35' double slide Zinger. Can I participate in this thread?

Let me know if you have a repair question, I have probably fixed it.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by popups4rent
My X tows to keep its place in the family. Get the rear sway bar, it makes a lot of difference.

Yeah I have my eye on one, I just have to wait for the truck to be retired to get it. lol The other day I had a brilliant thought of just taking the sway bar off the plow truck since it doesn't need any sway bars. Much to my dismay it doesn't have a rear sway bar.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:03 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by popups4rent
Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Product Info - Compatibility

I do not work for the company, but am a distributor and use 15 of the hitches on our rental campers.
Looks good, but pricey!!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User

Camping pics.

Thanks, and WOW!

I'll focus on the camper, X, and ATV's in my photos because IL and MO arent exactly scenic!

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!