Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:12 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Sweet! Did you use adapter spacers or a hub change to mount the SD wheels? What are you initial plans for the trailer? One big box or a few smaller ones?
3" Spacer adapters for now to keep the military axles in place. These are pretty heavy duty. I could have used 1.5 or 2" spacers. It was a mistake on the order, but worked out fine. The tires do sit about a couple inches outboard of the fender.

I have a few different thoughts about the build out. I will probably start with a single box structure made of steel and then use aluminum sheet to wrap it up. Here are some of the ideas I found online. credit the original owners of these pictures.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:48 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 227 Likes on 151 Posts
What are you considering for the suspension upgrades? I don't know a single thing about cell boosters......
I am looking at Wet Bolts and a Road Armour equalizer.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:43 PM
WE3ZS
Received 865 Likes on 599 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I am looking at Wet Bolts and a Road Armour equalizer.
Good plan, I really like my Mor-Ryde wet bolt and heavy duty shackle kit that we put on a few years ago, nice to be able to keep them well greased and the factory plastic bushings were pretty well shot. The new shackles are twice as thick as the factory ones, really beefy! It was also easy to swap them all over to the new 7K axles when we upgraded them from the original 5200lb axles. Our Jayco came with the CRE3000 equalizers that have survived all of the changes under the TT.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:47 PM
WE3ZS
Originally Posted by unleashd
3" Spacer adapters for now to keep the military axles in place. These are pretty heavy duty. I could have used 1.5 or 2" spacers. It was a mistake on the order, but worked out fine. The tires do sit about a couple inches outboard of the fender.

I have a few different thoughts about the build out. I will probably start with a single box structure made of steel and then use aluminum sheet to wrap it up. Here are some of the ideas I found online. credit the original owners of these pictures.

Do you (or a buddy) have a MIG welder? Framing it up with some 1X1 square tubing will be a good project to hone your welding skills.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:39 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts
Do you (or a buddy) have a MIG welder? Framing it up with some 1X1 square tubing will be a good project to hone your welding skills.
No. I don't have any welding equipment / knowledge / experience. I did think a little about buying equipment and DIY. But, between the cost of equipment, learning curve, scrap pieces, welding materials, etc., I figured it might be better to outsource this to a professional instead. All of my invest may be just for this one time. So, I reached out to one of the members of my local off-roading club that does a lot of fabrication work on the side. I am going to sit down with him sometime soon to come up with a concrete plan. Maybe he will teach me to weld as well

Old 03-16-2021, 08:34 PM
ArmyRover
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Brought home this little fella today. We have made a bit of upgrade. I may need to finally get a rear sway bar

2021 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 261BH love the floor plan and it's first trip is 2 weeks away.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:17 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 227 Likes on 151 Posts
Why wait 2 weeks? You need to driveway camp in it before heading out to find anything you need to fix before hitting the road.

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Brought home this little fella today. We have made a bit of upgrade. I may need to finally get a rear sway bar

2021 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 261BH love the floor plan and it's first trip is 2 weeks away.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-16-2021, 09:45 PM
ford_model'a'
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Very nice trailer. Also like those LED Fog lights.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:31 AM
ArmyRover
Tuned
Originally Posted by ford_model'a'
Very nice trailer. Also like those LED Fog lights.
Thanks and thanks.

Fogs are Hella valuefit FF500 they really put out a lot of light.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:16 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmyRover

The sway bar (I've found) does help with sway when towing, but is equally detrimental when off road, or on uneven surfaces (pitch and yaw) The most off road I do is on my own property... lol. I also highly recommend a Pro Pride Hitch or Hensley for stabile towing, world of difference. In addition if you do get the rear bar, some form of quick disconnects for the sway bar would be great and only one side is necessary to isolate, in order to eliminate yaw when off road ( I remove one bolt).

I have an after market Helwig rear sway bar and stock front.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:33 AM
WE3ZS
Nice trailer, good luck and safe travels with it!
I'm jealous, our first trip is still a month away. We might get the cover off this weekend, maybe......

Old 03-17-2021, 03:06 PM
ArmyRover
Tuned
Originally Posted by DavenTn
The sway bar (I've found) does help with sway when towing, but is equally detrimental when off road, or on uneven surfaces (pitch and yaw) The most off road I do is on my own property... lol. I also highly recommend a Pro Pride Hitch or Hensley for stabile towing, world of difference. In addition if you do get the rear bar, some form of quick disconnects for the sway bar would be great and only one side is necessary to isolate, in order to eliminate yaw when off road ( I remove one bolt).

I have an after market Helwig rear sway bar and stock front.
I'm not going to lie I want to take this off road more however I keep going back to this is my tow/family hauler. The back with no sway does flex surprisingly well.

Towing is the priority though so a hellwig and some disconnects just in case sound like the ticket. I have a Reese setup on it right now for weight, like the husky for the cargo trailer better admittedly.

I am wanting to get a proportional brake controller instead the old time delay unit. Anyone have a recommendation on a reasonable one that.works well?

Been a few weeks since the last trip with the travel trailer but that was using it for work, really looking forward to family fun instead.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:39 PM
WE3ZS
Tekonsha (sp) P3 is a very popular trailer brake controller, I been running mine for over 10 years now with no issues and good reliable performance.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:49 PM
ArmyRover
Tuned
Tekonsha (sp) P3 is a very popular trailer brake controller, I been running mine for over 10 years now with no issues and good reliable performance.
I'll check that out I had been looking at the Curt 51140 TriFlex.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:36 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
X2 ... not ten years but this.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!