Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 02:01 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally had a chance to use ours a few times since the baby was born in June. Spent 4th of July weekend in Kentucky at our family property with 8 other families enjoying the heat, humidity and spring fed creek.

Last weekend of August I took my 7 year old boy and 7 year old nephew to a Pro Motocross race in Crawfordsville, Indiana.

This past weekend we headed to a friends property with a 3 acre pond. The kids kayaked, rode dirt bikes and fished to their hearts content.

In between the first two trips I installed the MorRyde Step-Above set and CRE3000 equalizers and wet bolt kits. I can't say enough about the ride improvement with the CRE3000 and wet bolts. Everything feels way smoother down the road, even on I-74 in Indiana which has always been a white knuckler for me.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:13 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 510 Likes on 149 Posts
Not exactly a camper, but I towed my 24' car trailer from Miami to Myrtle Beach for a little car event.

Small groups except at the burn out contests where there was so much rubber in the air they don't have to worry about COVID messing with their lungs.

2020nonmustangweek <-- photo gallery

Last edited by ShelbyHauler; 09-16-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling and link identification
Old 09-16-2020, 09:22 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 230 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler
Not exactly a camper, but I towed my 24' car trailer from Miami to Myrtle Beach for a little car event.

Small groups except at the burn out contests where there was so much rubber in the air they don't have to worry about COVID messing with their lungs.

https://youtu.be/l9h8RasRdWw

https://youtu.be/CHaP-n1KZA8

https://youtu.be/5I7mF82Ms0I

https://youtu.be/LaiXr6u9zEo
Awesome pics!

When I pull the hauler it feels like as just as hard to pull as the travel trailer, the hauler has a smaller profile, sits lower and has heavier axles. Maybe it is the V-Nose, I don't know.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:04 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,160 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler

Good stuff. Real small groups, never been to the track with nobody in line. Our track in Norwalk didn't open at all this year, the emperor governor made it impossible with his restrictions.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:29 PM
WE3ZS
Received 866 Likes on 600 Posts
This year has been our lowest number of nights spent in the TT since we began camping due to the virus crap and my current job situation. But now that more places have opened up and my HR department has finally figured out our vacation time and how we can take it (its been a year now at the shutdown refinery and nothing is the same and very little makes any sense at all here....) we are making every attempt to get out while the weather is still OK. No long trips but trying to book several weekend (3 or 4 day) semi local stays through the end of October. This past weekend we went to Lake In Wood CG, right down the road from Maple Grove Dragway in PA, very nice place that we have always heard good things about but had never been to.

Name:  uNclkws.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  928.3 KB

Name:  1JAIoxO.jpg
Size:  767.9 KB

Old 09-21-2020, 10:05 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Good for you! Weather is awesome this time of year. 2 more weeks and we go to the mountains for the weekend. We are trying to make up the lost Spring days this fall and winter. Tampa is our next real long trip, the week between Christmas and New Years.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:26 PM
inthedirt
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love another chance to get out if the weather and my schedule would cooperate. I work 7-on/7-off and you'd think that I'd have plenty of time to do the things that interest me. Nope! I've spent more time on the road in the last month than I've spent at home. Mostly to get things repaired and picked up, or buying my kids new vehicles because they can't take care of their s**t. I'm done spending time and money on them, now its time for meeeeeeeee!

Old 09-25-2020, 03:55 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Start our three week "Fall Campout" next Friday. Of course with Covid the actual trick-or-treat is canceled but with all the friends and family there we will still have one even if not officially sanctioned. Can't wait, highs in the 60s and lows in the upper 30s/low 40s.

Have a cord of fire wood ready for burning and plan on using every last piece.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:25 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Be sure to post us some pics !

Old 09-26-2020, 08:07 PM
inthedirt
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, not the way I intended to use the new toyhauler, but I'll take it! Went to go get some tools out of the garage and there was water all over the concrete coming from a corner closet......not good. Further investigation reveals that the home I bought in Dec 2016 apparently still has the original water heater from 1996. I live in Nowheresville, Montana, population 600. Nothing happens on a weekend out here, especially plumbers. My boy works at the hardware store and luckily, they had a propane unit in stock that qualified for his employee discount. Because its gas, I need someone certified to install otherwise I'd do it myself if it were electric. So, until they show up (who knows when), we are showering in the toyhauler and boiling water for our dishes.

Before I could use the shower, I had to replace the faucet due to a bad diverter and water not getting to the head. Had a replacement on hand, so that went on pretty easy, only to find that the p-trap under the tub had a crack. Get that replaced, finish caulking a few areas, and my first attempt to run the shower sprays me in the face with a cracked head. I robbed the head from the outside shower and was finally able to give it a proper testing. Happy to report that everything works the way it should and I fit (barely) in the dinky thing. I'm 6'3 and can stand up straight if I shower with my head up in the skylight. Set the thermostat to 63F and left the lights on so that the rest of the fam can shower later tonight. For residential use, that bathroom would quickly become a novelty, but its a fabulous upgrade from the tent trailer we previously used for camping!

Old 09-27-2020, 05:55 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Earlier this summer our septic tank was full, noticed liquid coming out of the top, it was a Saturday. The wife and I used the camper for showers and let the grey dump in our gravel drive. It sure is handy having a portable restroom until the pumper truck came on Monday.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:25 PM
WE3ZS
This past weekend we spent at the PA Dutch Country Campground in Manheim PA, its a nice wooded place. We took all 3 vicious beasts with us this outing, we all get in plenty of steps each day walking the park, makes for some good sleeping along with the cooler Autumn weather. Lots of kids Trick or Treating on Saturday and we finished up with only 5 candy bars left, pretty good guess my wife made when candy shopping, we never get any kids at home due to the old twisty roads, no streetlights or sidewalks, so camping is the only time we get to have the full Halloween experience.
Our campsite ready to be visited by the ghosts and princesses, I really hope to have the faded front cap repainted for next year.
Name:  KjOHoFZ.jpg
Size:  773.6 KB

At night.
Name:  eSDF06C.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  653.4 KB

Left to right is Dixie, Ford and Blue, all rescues with unknown ancestries.
Name:  sLfZNYd.jpg
Size:  616.9 KB

Resting up after a very busy and scary day guarding the campsite.
Name:  AwL32Bk.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  883.6 KB

Heading out again this weekend (Thurs-Sun) to Circle M for our first visit there. We will have another family staying with us this time so the doggies will be staying at home with our son. We will be packing up and stocking up on more candy tomorrow. After such a screwed up year it really feels great to be getting out some, even if just for a few weekends.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,160 Likes on 567 Posts
I ran into someone with a Jayco like ours that had the front cap painted to match the main off-white color, looked good.

Dogs are all fairly new to you Tom? Looks like 3 lotto winners to me!

Old 10-20-2020, 11:20 PM
WE3ZS
Hey Eric!
We recently saw another Jayco with the matching front cap paint also, looked pretty cool and should cut down on the AC load some too. Maybe we'll go that color too.....
The 3 lotto winners have been with us for various amounts of time, Ford (4 y/o) was first 4 years ago, Dixie (6 y/o) followed about 6 months later and Blue (2 y/o) has been part of the herd for about a year now. We have always had multiple dogs, I think these guys are numbers 14, 15 and 16. Every one has had a unique personality, just like real people.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:29 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I really hope to have the faded front cap repainted for next year.

I'm very surprised that your front has faded that much, because you keep it undercover when parked.

WOW.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!