Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 06:41 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds fun..what kind of Baja?

Old 07-29-2020, 08:47 PM
inthedirt
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jayco Baja 10Y, 2006. Bought it for $5500 3yrs ago and sold it for $6500 last week. Picked up the Wolfpack last Saturday for $6k. I think I did alright

Old 07-29-2020, 09:32 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
you did real well making money on an rv
congrats;; enjoy

Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 264 Likes on 169 Posts
We were supposed to be at the lake this weekend for my daughter's 16th birthday party but COVID ruined that. Instead, we decided to have it at home, we live in the country so why not?

The camper is set up, powered and A/C is on, fire pit in the driveway, water play in the front yard and the white trailer is going to be a movie screen for projected movies tonight. Everything is going to be outside for the 10 kids coming.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:37 PM
WE3ZS
Received 932 Likes on 629 Posts
Looks like a great driveway camping setup to me! Have fun and wish her a happy Sweet 16!

Old 08-02-2020, 11:12 AM
inthedirt
Tuned
I don't have a big white trailer, but when we do projector movies outside, I use my my white 10x15ft pop-up shelter and a sidewall. That sidewall also pulls double duty as a great sun shade. I found a 50w BT sound bar at Wally World for $60 that works great with my setup. When doing outdoor movies at home, I'll setup my DJ equipment and 500w subwoofer so that the cows next door can hear it, too.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:03 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 264 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by inthedirt
I don't have a big white trailer, but when we do projector movies outside, I use my my white 10x15ft pop-up shelter and a sidewall. That sidewall also pulls double duty as a great sun shade. I found a 50w BT sound bar at Wally World for $60 that works great with my setup. When doing outdoor movies at home, I'll setup my DJ equipment and 500w subwoofer so that the cows next door can hear it, too.
It worked out well, the trailer also blocked a nosy neighbor's view. The kids watch a Disney High School Musical, spent time together and enjoyed good water fights, great on a hot humid day. The camper was the food station and cool off area. Had a fire pit in the gravel driveway for smores. I spent this morning putting stuff away and cleaning out the campers pass thu.
One fun thing I did have to do is move the tires from the hauler back to the camper. The tires the hauler has I wouldn't trust on any distance. That is not a fun job, jacking 2 vehicles up basically changing 8 tires.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:05 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
It worked out well, the trailer also blocked a nosy neighbor's view. .

Old 08-25-2020, 03:52 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
Got some much needed maintenance done to the old camper this past weekend. I had a soft spot develop in the shower at the back corner of the camper and never did take care of it and the egress window that blew out on a trip a few years back. With the Cummins conversion on Clifford, the camper sat for a couple of years under a tarp, which probably saved it from more damage. Also changed out the awning. All in all, a very frustrating weekend worth of work. Nothing seemed to go right.

First up, the window. I was not willing to spend ~$200 on a window for an old camper that I'm planning on getting rid of, so I had a salvage one laying around. Took the old window out and the salvage window, while the correct overall size, had an extra flange on the inside that didn't fit in the opening. So, I found a new window for on ebay and spent the money. While it fit the opening, it was 1/4" too shallow. Ended up getting it in and tightened up in spite of it, cursing it the whole time. Butyl tape and all. Sealed it up across the top with some exterior caulk.

Second, the shower wall. Not fun. I sourced some material from Menards that should hold up. It's a fiberboard with some sort of enamel coating on it that looks like tile. Cut the walls out and cleaned everything up after removing all the little trim bits around the tub. I found that the plywood backer for the license plate was rotted and the two "studs" in the corner had some rot as well. So, removed the license plate and tail light and the plywood backer, resealed and installed with some poplar boards I had laying around. Then put it all back with the new walls, caulked the crap out of it, and trimmed it out with some trim pieces. Got it all back together only to find out that one of the seat springs in the faucet had mysteriously disappeared. Found a new one and finished the install. It leaks. So, I'll get a new faucet from a local RV store and put it in this weekend. Other than that, I think she's ready to hit the road for a Labor Day trip to the far southwest corner of NC for some much needed R&R.

I should have replaced or sistered the "studs" in the back corner, but plans are to get rid of this camper at the next boat show and grab a larger bunkhouse. So, the dealer can mess with it if they so choose. Otherwise this camper may end up in a field or in the woods stripped and made into a hunting cabin. It'll have to do for now. On to the pics!!

New window installed prior to trimming excess butyl tape

Prep for caulk

Also installed a new cord keeper and sealed it and the TV port above

New boards installed for the rear light

It was a mess!!

New walls installed

Blocked it up temporarily for transport back to the storage lot so the panel adhesive can set.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:02 PM
ArmyRover
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Went to Hilton Head and stayed at Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort and Marina for one last time. Starting 1 September travel trailers with slideouts are not allowed.

Fantastic place but only if you have a motor coach or Airstream now.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:18 PM
WE3ZS
Received 932 Likes on 629 Posts
Looks like a nice place and great camp site.
I've never hard of that campground (RV resort) restriction before, no TTs with slide outs is a very odd rule. Or is it actually only Airstreams and Motorcoaches? I have seen Motorhome only resorts and of course the growing number of places with the ten year old RV/TT rule.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:04 PM
RedBirdin96
Mountain Pass
We did a week long camping trip at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, AL the week before our kids started back to school. It was a great campground ($49/night with full hookups, pool, splash pad and endless bike trails). We pretty much avoided the bathhouses due to COVID, but several were getting complete renovations and the one I did go in was still clean and nice! The beach is a couple mile bike ride or 3 mile car ride to the parking area, but if you opt for the bike route there was no one there so we had the beach to ourselves except for 2 or 3 other families. It was a great way to finish off a crazy summer and the Ex did great with the tow. This was only my 2nd trip out with 4.30 gears on my setup and it clearly did make MPG suffer (we got 7.5 mpg average to and from Texas last summer and this trip was more like 6.5 mpg). We made the ~600 mile (one-way) trip with one gas/food stop and it took about 9 hours total.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:13 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,168 Likes on 568 Posts
Nice crew you have there. Reminds me of some of our adventures, except my little guy like the one in your wife's arms is 28 now.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:15 PM
RedBirdin96
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Nice crew you have there. Reminds me of some of our adventures, except my little guy like the one in your wife's arms is 28 now.
Thanks, and yes we have a glimpse at how quickly the time goes. Our oldest is the other boy and he will be 12 at the end of September and it seems like yesterday that he was born. We span 12 down to 4 with our crew!

Old 08-26-2020, 04:31 PM
ArmyRover
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Looks like a nice place and great camp site.
I've never hard of that campground (RV resort) restriction before, no TTs with slide outs is a very odd rule. Or is it actually only Airstreams and Motorcoaches? I have seen Motorhome only resorts and of course the growing number of places with the ten year old RV/TT rule.
It was a fantastic site and we love going there. Effective 1 Sep they put that in place for TT/5th wheel none over 35 feet and no slide outs. So if you have a TT with no slide out you are ok they don't say specifically Airstream but that was the general feel I got from talking to a couple site owners while we were there.

Motorcoach no restriction. I have seen that 10 year old rule where they have the right to refuse you a spot if your stuff looks to junky. We are in a 2 year old Apex so it's not to junky lol

They are having a Property owners meeting on the 29th with a general hope of overturning the rental office's new restrictions. I really hope they succeed as we were hoping to head there this winter to do some biking on the trails and beach.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!