Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 11:05 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
Something to consider is the noise level. Some parks/campgrounds have noise restrictions for generators, The Honda EU3000iS operates at 50 to 57 dB(A), but they do not state at what load that noise rating is. The cost for this generator is around $2k

I picked up an off brand unit from Amazon that states "XtremepowerUS Super Quiet 3000 Watt Digital Inverter" and has a Noise level: 58 db(A) at 25% load. I paid just under $600 and it runs my portable A/C in my trailer w/o any problems. I've had it for 2 years now and have only had to replace the battery for the electric start. I had no problem pull starting it when the battery went dead. If I had the money, I'd go with the Honda, but I don't.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-05-2021, 06:39 AM
GregA
Tuned
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
Don't be a jerk, buy a Honda. We use an EU3000is at the race track and it's the only larger generator we've used that is quiet enough for overnight use. If 2000W will cover you, then the EU2000, as described above, is quiet enough that you can have it sitting next to you in polite fireside conversation.

This very past weekend I had to tolerate a paddock mate overnight with a very loud job site type generator, and I wasn't happy with them at all. Kept us up at night. But it was 35 degrees outside and they were camping in their uninsulated race car trailer so we gritted our teeth and had more Bourbon.

Now, I will offer that several competitors have said that the Harbor Freight Predator 2000W and 3500W "super quiet" generators are, well, super quiet. But I've not personally experienced one.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-05-2021, 04:17 PM
Ogre20012001
Mountain Pass
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Pulled my camper out of winter storage.
32’ mallard bunk house.
I purchased it last summer for a very good price. And have slowly been working it over to get it ready for use this fall.
still have a few things to do.
got my WD hitch set up yesterday, however it pulls nice without the WD hitch.

I purchased the Anderson WD hitch after looking at several different hitches.

this picture was taken yesterday without WD hitch.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:38 PM
JSPEX
Mountain Pass
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Anyone have any feedback or thoughts on using propane to power the generator instead of gasoline? Seems like it would be one less thing to fool with since the TT already has propane and I'll most likely carry an extra tank. I only have experience with gasoline generators.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:22 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 146 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by JSPEX
Anyone have any feedback or thoughts on using propane to power the generator instead of gasoline? Seems like it would be one less thing to fool with since the TT already has propane and I'll most likely carry an extra tank. I only have experience with gasoline generators.
Generally they are just modifications to the carb system. You probably could just google the model of generator or engine with propane conversion and get something. I'm not sure how efficient it would be vs gas though. Could be more, could be less. In my view, it would certainly be more convenient, especially if you installed a separate line specifically for the generator. My current TT has a port already plumbed in for a grill, which would make it pretty convenient. Only thing I can think you might have a problem is if the regulator installed on the TT is not compatible with whatever conversion kit you find.

Cool mod though, I'd very much like to see how it works out!

Old 05-06-2021, 08:37 AM
hawkce541
Freshman User
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I take my X camping... Usually the truck is filled with Boy Scouts and gear. When you have an X you turn into the shuttle vehicle.
I would never take my X camping......I can't stand her.......lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by hawkce541:
Old 05-07-2021, 09:35 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkce541
I would never take my X camping......I can't stand her.......lol.
You could forget to bring her back...

The following 2 users liked this post by mecdac:
Old 05-09-2021, 04:06 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Picked up an older toy hauler this week. Price was good, just needs some clean up work from a previous roof leak but is functional.

Pulling it home will probably be the only time the Ex will tow it as I sold her a few months back, just waiting on the seller to pick her up. Looking for an 11+ F250 as a replacement.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:40 PM
JSPEX
Mountain Pass
Well, I looked at various generators over the last few days and ended up ordering a champion 2000 watt dual fuel. Much as I would like the Honda this was half the price. And it has the feature where I can pair it with another one, which I'll probably do once I've had a chance to try this one out and make sure I like it. I've used lots of gas generators before on job sites, but I'm very interested to try this one on propane.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:20 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Well, I looked at various generators over the last few days and ended up ordering a champion 2000 watt dual fuel. Much as I would like the Honda this was half the price. And it has the feature where I can pair it with another one, which I'll probably do once I've had a chance to try this one out and make sure I like it. I've used lots of gas generators before on job sites, but I'm very interested to try this one on propane.
I'm confident you will love it. The Champions have a good reputation.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:16 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
My understanding is the propane makes slightly less power.

The following 4 users liked this post by ShelbyHauler:
Old 05-10-2021, 01:26 PM
GregA
Tuned
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol
Picked up an older toy hauler this week. Price was good, just needs some clean up work from a previous roof leak but is functional.
I've been looking for a large toy hauler for ages; they just don't exist on the east coast. Need something with at least 15' garage and built for a small race car...

Old 05-24-2021, 08:09 PM
JSPEX
Mountain Pass
So what are the current thoughts on the best TT tire? Coming home today from our first trip out with the new(to us) TT and blew a tire doing about 65 on the 4 lane. The tires are Trailer King ST radials with supposedly only a few thousand miles on them, less than 2 years old. I want to replace them all with whatever is the best current choice before heading out on a 3500- 4000 mile trip in July.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:11 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 298 Likes on 235 Posts
Old 05-24-2021, 08:39 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 835 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion

^^^ What he said. ^^^.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!