Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 04:01 PM
JSPEX
Mountain Pass
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Yeah, the sticker is faded enough that I can't read it and the owners manual says follow the manufacturers instructions. Tires say 80# max but since the heat/hot roads will cause an increase in pressure I'm thinking 70 ish.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:07 PM
hz27dago
Freshman User
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JSPEX
Yeah, the sticker is faded enough that I can't read it and the owners manual says follow the manufacturers instructions. Tires say 80# max but since the heat/hot roads will cause an increase in pressure I'm thinking 70 ish.
Double check me on this but it should say 80lbs max cold, the mfr's leave room for them to warm up.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-02-2021, 04:13 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 512 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by hz27dago
Double check me on this but it should say 80lbs max cold, the mfr's leave room for them to warm up.
I run my Endurance tires at 80 cold. They go up to around 89 after a bit. I also use the stem mounted TPMS sensors to monitor the tires

The following 2 users liked this post by ShelbyHauler:
Old 06-02-2021, 04:21 PM
WE3ZS
Received 867 Likes on 601 Posts
Nothing destroys ST tires faster than underinflation (along with over speeding on the cheap 65 MPH max STs) so the rule of thumb has always been run them at max sidewall listed pressure, nobody is riding back there to complain about the slightly harsher ride. And all tires are specced and rated for whatever pressure COLD, the increase in pressure from running and the sun (sunny side always runs hotter than the shaded side) is calculated into that COLD pressure.
Personally I think with those exceptionally good Endurance tires that you would be good at a lower than rated pressure as you are at least a load range or two over what is needed for your TT's GVWR. The best advice I can give is to get it scaled (also a great way to dial in your WD hitch setup!) and then inflate to whatever Goodyears inflation tables call for, plus maybe 5 or 10 PSI. I run my 110 PSI rated load range G Sailun STs at 95 PSI which is slightly above what the inflation chart calls for to support the weight my axles carry on our big TT.

The following 3 users liked this post by WE3ZS:
Old 06-02-2021, 07:31 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 230 Likes on 153 Posts
I run my trailer and Excursion tires at 80 PSI.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:45 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,160 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by copsey
24 acres, 12 wooded 12 tilled last year. Lots of dead ash trees and honeysuckle. Had a state forester out yesterday to start our EQIP planning, hoping for some grant money to help pay for what we are going to do anyway. The 24 acres are going to be split between my brother and his family and me and mine. Mom and dad live a creek away.

If the driveway continued into the woods past the campers there is another 46 acres I'm trying to secure also. It's all woods and would stay that way.
That's cool you will be close to family and have enough room to spread out. An extra 46 acres would be sweet. We just bought 35 acres of woods in southern Ohio, thinking an off grid recreational cabin setup for us.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:46 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Nothing destroys ST tires faster than underinflation (along with over speeding on the cheap 65 MPH max STs) so the rule of thumb has always been run them at max sidewall listed pressure, nobody is riding back there to complain about the slightly harsher ride.
Just the shrimp and lobster...

I totally agree with underinflation, however; what about the increasingly hard turns we have to put on the sidewalls? That seems to mess with the belts more.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:15 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
That's cool you will be close to family and have enough room to spread out. An extra 46 acres would be sweet. We just bought 35 acres of woods in southern Ohio, thinking an off grid recreational cabin setup for us.

Where is your planned cabin? We are near Wilmington.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:31 AM
WE3ZS
Received 867 Likes on 601 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
Just the shrimp and lobster...

I totally agree with underinflation, however; what about the increasingly hard turns we have to put on the sidewalls? That seems to mess with the belts more.
The opinion of the seafood doesn't matter, only the taste!

Ageed that trailer tires do see some pretty stressful situations like hard scrubbing on really tight maneuvering turns, that's where buying the best quality tire for your trailer pays off. I've had belt breakage issues with several cheap Chinese ST tires, lost 5 STs between two trailers due to belt issues. Luckily non of them lost air and shredded the trailer side, however one incident did lead to enough vibration to break the rear coil on the fridge, so that was an expensive first day of a 3 week trip with 4 new tires and a new refrigerator.
Now that most common sizes are available in the Goodyear Endurance line along with a few other high quality ST choices, like my Sailuns, folks who take the time to look into the topic and take their towing seriously have solid options available to vastly reduce trailer tire issues.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:04 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by copsey
Where is your planned cabin? We are near Wilmington.
We are close to Waverly, just south of Chillicothe. It came with a camper, a bit rough.

A little bit of the 1600' of driveway that was just finished.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:28 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
We are close to Waverly, just south of Chillicothe. It came with a camper, a bit rough.

A little bit of the 1600' of driveway that was just finished.

That's a beautiful area down that way. Spent a lot of time in those woods with the Chillicothe Enduro Riders. Don't ya love the long driveways? Mine between 1750 and 1800 depending on where the wife decides the front of the house ends up sitting. Won't drop 57s until the construction is done, now it's just roll your ankle #2s. You've got prime mushroom hunting in April down that way for sure.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:33 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Nothing destroys ST tires faster than underinflation (along with over speeding on the cheap 65 MPH max STs) so the rule of thumb has always been run them at max sidewall listed pressure, nobody is riding back there to complain about the slightly harsher ride. And all tires are specced and rated for whatever pressure COLD, the increase in pressure from running and the sun (sunny side always runs hotter than the shaded side) is calculated into that COLD pressure.
Personally I think with those exceptionally good Endurance tires that you would be good at a lower than rated pressure as you are at least a load range or two over what is needed for your TT's GVWR. The best advice I can give is to get it scaled (also a great way to dial in your WD hitch setup!) and then inflate to whatever Goodyears inflation tables call for, plus maybe 5 or 10 PSI. I run my 110 PSI rated load range G Sailun STs at 95 PSI which is slightly above what the inflation chart calls for to support the weight my axles carry on our big TT.
Just did a once over on the TT and dragged it back from one of our other homes. I knew these TrailerKing tires had been on there long enough, and inspected them quite closely. The TT had been sitting too long at the other home and simply based on age I knew it was time to replace them. Yup, got her home and there's an obvious failure about to happen...luckily I made it home fine and the trip was short but could have ended badly.

So, @WE3ZS and gang. What's a good source for a great E (or better) load rated tire?

Unfortunately the rims on this 2017 Keystone are 14's, and the originals are ST205/75/R14. Seems hard to find anything in a 14" that goes beyond D load rating.

Here's a pic to scare yall if you think Chinabombs don't exist. There were no marks on this sidewall, nothing was hit...It's my foot that left the wet mark. To reiterate, I looked them all over after airing up to 50# cold (max).

Old 06-06-2021, 04:35 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
I don't think anybody makes load range E in that size. Do you know your actual ready to camp weight on the trailer? You most likely could put 15" wheels on it if you really need the capacity.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:53 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
I don't think anybody makes load range E in that size. Do you know your actual ready to camp weight on the trailer? You most likely could put 15" wheels on it if you really need the capacity.
It's still fairly light at 5230 dry but I won't get a loaded weight until I get out to a real highway to a weigh station one day when the Cummins is done.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:54 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 541 Likes on 360 Posts
You've got C rated now. D rated should give you good margin, with a 65 psi max cold inflation instead of 50psi.

I've had good results going one load rating above the sticker on the trailer. Just about to replace the 10 year old C rated 14" tires on the boat trailer with D's. It's an occasional use trailer, so china-made Towmasters will do the job. If I was towing a given trailer often, I'd find a GY Endurance or Sailun version.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!