Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a TALL liftgate? Forget 4x2 lift supports.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM
ycis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-22-2013, 12:15 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good price but those defeat the whole purpose of what this thread is about. The 4wd lifts are shorter than the 2wd lifts and BOTH of those are shorter than the ones listed in this thread.

Besides, the ones listed here are only $26 each including shipping. I'd rather have the taller ones and not crack my head anymore.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
ycis
Senior User
oh...my bad...that was the part number listed above on amazon.

guess I should go have more coffee

Old 12-24-2013, 11:02 PM
sandfarmer
Junior User
This is the first thread I clicked on in the new mod thread, just ordered a pair! When I bought my ex the other day the first thing I thought when I opened the back was that someone had replaced the OEM supports with ones that were way to short LOL!

Old 12-24-2013, 11:13 PM
speedyweasel
Tuned
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
In case it helps others, I replaced my 4x4 rear glass lift supports and now have 6'7" to the bottom of the pull handle in my 05 Excursion fitted with RAS so no longer hit my head. Folks down to maybe 5' tall should be able to reach the pull handle and folks up to that 6'7" mark have no chance of hitting their head. I didn't measure it, but I'd guess it would be about 6'11" or so from the ground to the metal on the liftgate.

The extended length of the 4x4 lift support is 14".
The extended length of the 4x2 lift support is 14.72".
The extended length of these is 15.87"!
There is another support available with an extended support length of 15.25".

The liftgate will support all the way up to 16.5" before hitting the roof of the vehicle. Someone 5'4" can reach the pulldown handle all the way to 16.25". The only thing to watch out for is the liftgate hitting the roof of your garage if the ceilings are low.

Lou Fishman is incredible to work with. Highly, highly recommended.

$22.05 each.
Lift Supports
Bless you. Seriously. My head will thank you for this.

Originally Posted by 98GP
At 5'11", I was at full stretch, flat footed (in my green crocs)
I wouldn't necessarily advertise that on FTE. No self respecting man ought to be wearing crocs, let alone posting proof on the interwebz.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:21 AM
MalwareDRay
Elder User
This was my first mod for the Bus earlier this year. Snif snif. Lmao

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 PM
the2005expedition
New User
Lift Supports FORD Excursion 2003

This is the link I used to order mine. I think they were cheaper than the original link given. As cold as it is, they seemed like they wouldn't hold the hatch up like it should. A few more cycles, and they are doing fine.

MUCH better clearance now. I had to fight them while I replaced the lock actuators in the single digits..... Now the rear hatch is complete though.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 AM
icentropy
Senior User
Just ordered a set from them off of ebay. I ran a search for Strongarm 6421 and these came up for $36 including free shipping, Strongarm 6421 L R 2 Rear Trunk Gas Lift Supports Boot Struts Lift Support | eBay so i ordered them.

Later i saw that on their site they call for 6421W for the excursion. The only difference i could see was the metal vs plastic ends. Both were the same diameter ball though so either way they should work. I'll post up next week when they get here if they worked or not. I didn't see the last link posted till after i placed the order. Going based off the original link it's quite a bit cheaper. Compared to the lastest link posted, basically it equates to free shipping....

Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 AM
marks450r
New User
Got some of those off of Amazon
Amazon.com: 2 (L&R) Rear Window Glass Gas Lift Supports Struts Spring Shock Rod Lid Damper Arms For Ford Excursion: Automotive Amazon.com: 2 (L&R) Rear Window Glass Gas Lift Supports Struts Spring Shock Rod Lid Damper Arms For Ford Excursion: Automotive

got here in 2 days. Install was 5 minutes and oh man the difference is great. Now my wife can open it so much easier. she can still grab handle to close it.

I love finding upgrades like this. Thanks threadstarter and FTE.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are most welcome. Happy New Year!!

Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Originally Posted by marks450r
Got some of those off of Amazon Amazon.com: 2 (L&R) Rear Window Glass Gas Lift Supports Struts Spring Shock Rod Lid Damper Arms For Ford Excursion: Automotive

got here in 2 days. Install was 5 minutes and oh man the difference is great. Now my wife can open it so much easier. she can still grab handle to close it.

Darn it! that would have been even better. Oh well. Still hoping the ones i ordered fit. If not at least i know where to get the right ones.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 AM
neilc88
Elder User
Originally Posted by marks450r
Got some of those off of Amazon Amazon.com: 2 (L&R) Rear Window Glass Gas Lift Supports Struts Spring Shock Rod Lid Damper Arms For Ford Excursion: Automotive

Does it matter that these are not the StrongArm brand?

It looks like $27 for no name brand (Dh_top) and $37 for the Strongarm brand. Is there really a difference?

Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 AM
icentropy
Senior User
Originally Posted by neilc88
Does it matter that these are not the StrongArm brand?

It looks like $27 for no name brand (Dh_top) and $37 for the Strongarm brand. Is there really a difference?
I'm not sure but I can say that the ones I ordered (assuming they actually fit) have metal ends instead of plastic....

Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM
marks450r
New User
I guess I can be the guinea pig on the no name brand ones. I will say they make the liftgate almost fly up when we open it. Its amazing. The ones that came off were Strongarm stock 4x4 length. The PO said he put them on last year. The liftgate would never stay fully up with Stock Blue Label Strongarm length lift supports that were at most 2 years old. Matter of fact it would drop almost as soon as it was opened and if it was cold outside. For now these are a vast improvement and for the price putting a new set on every 2-3 years is no big deal.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 PM
MalwareDRay
Elder User
Has this same thing been done to the hood ones?
I'm wondering if we can get the hood to open higher with taller ones but it's too cold to go outside and check. Lmao

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: Want a TALL liftgate? Forget 4x2 lift supports.