Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a TALL liftgate? Forget 4x2 lift supports.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:47 PM
aaedin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey guys, I'm wanting to do this upgrade on my Ex immediately. I'm 5'11 and my wife is 5'6. I want her to be able to close it okay. I'm not terribly tall either. Would I be better just ordering the 4x2 ones and putting them on my 4x4 Ex? Or is there still clearance issues? Again, I'm not even 6ft. Its tough gauge the height in the various pictures. My Ex is not lifted and has stock tire size.

What do you think? 4x2 or the extended tall version?

Last edited by aaedin; 11-24-2014 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your wife may have to really stretch but you should be fine.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by aaedin
Hey guys, I'm wanting to do this upgrade on my Ex immediately. I'm 5'11 and my wife is 5'6. I want her to be able to close it okay. I'm not terribly tall either. Would I be better just ordering the 4x2 ones and putting them on my 4x4 Ex? Or is there still clearance issues? Again, I'm not even 6ft. Its tough gauge the height in the various pictures. My Ex is not lifted and has stock tire size.
I'm 5'10" and the wife is 5'2". The Ex has the V/B springs and the 4x4 lift gate supports. I can reach it fine and my wife can too (barely) when she's on her tippy-toes.

Stewart

Old 11-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I'm 5'10" and the wife is 5'2". The Ex has the V/B springs and the 4x4 lift gate supports. I can reach it fine and my wife can too (barely) when she's on her tippy-toes. Stewart
I still bump my head on the damn grab handle, same mods but with the Apoc Special (4x2) struts. Then again I'm 6'5.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
I still bump my head on the damn grab handle, same mods but with the Apoc Special (4x2) struts. Then again I'm 6'5.
Take the handle off

Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Take the handle off
Makes sleeping in the back interesting when camping sometimes. It's nice being able to close it from the inside. I also use it to tie up awnings and whatnot too. I may try to just do a pull cord that doesn't look retarded.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Makes sleeping in the back interesting when camping sometimes. It's nice being able to close it from the inside. I also use it to tie up awnings and whatnot too. I may try to just do a pull cord that doesn't look retarded.
Really though, just explain to your wife the benefits of slapping a lift on the Ex

Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Really though, just explain to your wife the benefits of slapping a lift on the Ex
Well she's the ex-wife, plus it's already lifted on 35's. Lol. I also just went off and lifted it instead of asking if it was ok, I cited improved ride and handling and that was the end of it.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 AM
aaedin
Senior User
Matt, that's hilarious! I almost spilt coffee on myself just now when I read that. LOL "I cited improved ride and handling." I will try this on my wife.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Well she's the ex-wife, plus it's already lifted on 35's. Lol. I also just went off and lifted it instead of asking if it was ok, I cited improved ride and handling and that was the end of it.
Reminds me of my favorite fairy tale ever.... Once upon a time, a boy asked a girl to marry him. She said no. So he went and bought cars and trucks and motorcycles and guns and lived happily ever after. The end.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:26 AM
David - WI
Senior User

What do you think? 4x2 or the extended tall version?
The extended ones don't work all that great on mine. I have to physically lift the hatch almost all the way up or it only opens part way... and it takes a lot more effort to close it.

I may put the stock ones back on. It used to be a very "smooth" operation but now it's very "jerky"... it starts up, then sticks, then opens the rest of the way if I help it.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM
aaedin
Senior User
David, you may want to email the company. I still have the stock ones on mine but that doesn't sound like the experience most people in this thread have had with the replacement extended ones. I may be wrong of course.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
David, you may want to email the company. I still have the stock ones on mine but that doesn't sound like the experience most people in this thread have had with the replacement extended ones. I may be wrong of course.
I agree. My stock struts were on their way out and exhibited the same symptoms.

New struts have zero issue opening the hatch smoothly and quickly of their own accord.

Sounds like a bad set of struts to me, should be an easy fix if the company is worth a **** in customer service.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by David - WI
The extended ones don't work all that great on mine. I have to physically lift the hatch almost all the way up or it only opens part way... and it takes a lot more effort to close it.

I may put the stock ones back on. It used to be a very "smooth" operation but now it's very "jerky"... it starts up, then sticks, then opens the rest of the way if I help it.
Did you install correctly?

Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 PM
David - WI
Senior User
Originally Posted by mecdac
Did you install correctly?
No, actually I put them in upside down so they wouldn't get bent when the gate opens & closes.

Quick Reply: Want a TALL liftgate? Forget 4x2 lift supports.