6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGT probe location

Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 PM
-Hilgy-
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT probe location

So last night i was doing so reading and dug up some old (2004) threads about pre and post turbo mounting locations for the egt probe.

The biggest reason put forward from the post side was what if the probe breaks off and goes through the turbo??

I did a bit of searching and coulnd not come up with any first hand accounts of this happening.

My truck is stock and will stay that way until it is off warrenty so I'm not too worried about melting a turbo BUT I figure if I have paid the money to put a probe in my truck it should be in the most acurate spot.

So I guess my question is this. Anyone have one of these things break and go through your turbo??

And is the risk of this happening great enough to give up an acurate reading pre-turbo.

Thanks
Hilgy

Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have yet to read of one breaking and going through the turbo. I wouldn't recomend putting it anywhere but pre turbo, in the exhaust manifold on the drivers side.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 PM
-Hilgy-
Junior User
Originally Posted by texans
I wouldn't recomend putting it anywhere but pre turbo, in the exhaust manifold on the drivers side.
This is my thinking as well. I guess what I'm getting at is most of those threads are 6 years old now so I figured that if there were any issues there would be a few guys around here with some horror stories to tell.

Looking forward to doing the install this weekend.

Thanks
Hilgy

Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 AM
EPI-911
Senior User
One of the forum member here Mike Chan, has told me he has seen many people putting them in the Drivers Exhaust Manifold apparently you can get to it from underneath the manifold and lowering the risk if your doing it while still on the truck to get metal filings in the turbo.

I would recommend using going slow and then just as your about to go though put grease on the bit so it hold more metal. Also I would recommend using a unibit its easier to keep clean and control of the metal shavings.

Currently mine is installed post turbo about 3" from clamp thats on the rear of the turbo. I plan to add another gauge in the manifold as well so I have two reference points to monitor. I plan to add my second one this weekend if the rain they are calling for doesn't happen Ill post pics of the setup.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
i would go pre turbo all day long!! and grease the bit before you even start drilling. it acts as a lube for the bit and catches most of the shavings. then take a paper clip with a magnet on the end and fish out all of the small shavings. then put grease on the tap and tap it out. then do the same procedure with the paper clip and finally install the probe.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 PM
-Hilgy-
Junior User
thanks guys,

Never heard that paper clip trick before. I have a small flexible magnet that i was going to use as well as the vacum.

I guess unless i find a bunch of info about probes breaking off before the weekend thats where its going(pre-turbo)

Hilgy

Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
i have a small flex magnet too but it didnt bend enough for me so i compromised with what i had layin around. but then again i never thought of the vaccum either! guess we both learned something today haha

Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard that some people drill the hole while the engine is running. This way, the cuttings are blown outward(?) by positive exhaust manifold pressure. Anybody else do this, or did I dream it up?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I've installed several thermocouples in DS exhaust manifolds, and never use grease or run the engine. Just work your way up to the final hole size with a few good, sharp bits. A good bit will cut the cast iron so that it comes off in ribbons. Any small pieces will fall to the ground. After you tap the hole, you can float a magnet underneath the manifold and drag anything inside, out the hole.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Dieselpop
Senior User
X2 the bit is made to extract the iron out no grease is needed but a good pair of glasses are, start small and go up to the right size i did use the paper clip works well but keep the motor off because anything that brakes off inside will go right into the tubor then when you tap it only go 1/2 way so it will fit tight when you screw it in.
http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/PSD3-gauge/image24.htm

Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
-Hilgy-
Junior User
Originally Posted by Dieselpop
X2 the bit is made to extract the iron out no grease is needed but a good pair of glasses are, start small and go up to the right size i did use the paper clip works well but keep the motor off because anything that brakes off inside will go right into the tubor then when you tap it only go 1/2 way so it will fit tight when you screw it in.
http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/PSD3-gauge/image24.htm
I take it you mean only tap 1/2 the thickness of the manifold? Approx how many threads would there be holding the probe this way?

Thanks for all the comments guys

Hilgy

Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by -Hilgy-
I take it you mean only tap 1/2 the thickness of the manifold? Approx how many threads would there be holding the probe this way?

Hilgy
I think he means to only run 1/2 the tap's length into the manifold(that's what I do). The typical 1/8" NPT tap has about 2" of cutting threads, so stop when you still have an inch or so of cutting thread showing. The tap is tapered, so stopping early like this will ensure the thermocouple is snug/tight. As you start to cut threads, back the tap out to clear it as needed.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 PM
djanzen
Elder User

Originally Posted by -Hilgy-

Hilgy
he means only half way in with the tap! the tap should have about 3/4 inch of threads on in only go till the threads are just through the manifold.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Dieselpop
Senior User
X2 right on

Old 04-13-2011, 10:14 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
i use grease for security!! id rather be too careful then not careful enough. plus it keeps the bit lubed so that it doesnt wear out as quick. all it takes is one wrong move to dull out a bit or better yet break it off. thats why i use grease but its up to you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGT probe location