1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Now it starts, now it doesn't ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 11:46 AM
EdTroy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a strange problem with my 99 F-150 yesterday. I went out to start it ( for the fifth or sixth time of the day), and nothing happened!! The guages all came on, and I could feel and hear some relays clicking in the relay area, which I suspect is normal, but the starter did not make any sound, and the engine did not start. I checked all of the fuses, and everything was fine. I concluded that I would have to have it towed to the dealer on Monday morning. A few hours later, I went out and tried to start it, again, and it started in a perfectly normal manner. I went out for a while, and started it again a few hours later, and everything was normal.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could have been. I don't know whether to take it in for service, at this point, or whether I should wait until it happens, again. (Of course, it could be a bad thing if it picks a bad place or time not to start, but it would be hard for Ford to fix it if there is nothing wrong!)

Old 03-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi EdTroy and welcome to FTE

Your problem could be a bad connection at the starter. I've seen that a few times. The wires at the starter can corrode and cause a no start. You might want to crawl underneath and check them. Otherwise you'll need to take a test light and see if you have power at the starter and at the little wire to the solenoid on the starter when you try cranking it. If you do have power there you should be able to hear the solenoid click. If it doesnt click but you have power there you could replace the solenoid, if it clicks but the starter doesnt spin you will probably need a new starter.
Most of the time I quickly check for power at the starter....if I have power I just replace the whole starter. Chances are pretty good that if you take it in and it starts when they try it they will sell you a starter as it's the most likely problem but you're right...if it isnt broken it's hard to diagnose.

Old 03-16-2003, 01:29 PM
EdTroy
New User

It is really strange. Now, today, it does not start, again. It is beginning to look like a temperature problem, where it will not start when it is warm (about 60-70 yesterday and today), but it does start when it gets cool (under 50 or so.) Very strange, indeed.

Old 03-16-2003, 01:47 PM
EdTroy
New User

I have no way to get under the car and turn the ignition key at the same time. But, I did check the wires, and they appear to be ok. There is some corrosion, but I don't think it would cause the starter to be intermittent. I do notice that when I turn the key to the ignition point, the radio goes off, and the guages all go off, indicating that there is a large current draw, like you would get when you start the car, normally. So, it looks to me like the starter is getting power; it is just not turning. This would imply that the starter is, indeed, bad, and needs to be replaced. (The truck has 97,000 miles, so I would not be surprised to see things start needing replacement. I suspect the alternator might be next. As far as I know, all of these components are original, although I have only had the truck since it had about 67,000 miles. It is strange how it seems to start when the temperature is low, but it will not start when it is warm. I will try to start it later today after it cools off.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot

Temperatue related electrical problems arent unusual but can be tough to figure out. When it doesn't start you could maybe take a bag if ice and put it on the starter for a few minutes to cool it off and see what happens. If it makes a difference it would appear that you found your problem

Old 03-16-2003, 03:48 PM
AegisSailor
Elder User

When I suspect a starter motor problem, the first thing I do is to use a screw driver with an insulated handle to short the contacts of the ignition coil together. (Ignition key has to be in the on position). If the starter turns over then I replace the coil, if the starter does nothing, then I replace the starter. 9 times out of ten it ends up being the starter though. Not alot to go wrong with a coil.

Old 03-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try cleaning the battery terminals. If the battery terminals
have corrosion, this can cause the intermittent symptoms
you describe.....

Old 05-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Seniortoad
New User

I have a 99 Ford F-150, and I have the same problem right now
I replaced the starter the day before and last night it did it again

All the lights come on power shows fine, and then I continue to turn the key and everything goes dead.
Any help you guys can give

Old 06-07-2003, 07:37 AM
woodtoolsindodg
New User

This problem must be contagious. Ed Troy's description is word for word how I'd describe my problem. I have a 99 with the small Triton 8. It started twice that morning no problem. The third time, no luck. Like everyone here, I thought it was the starter so I changed it out. That third top bolt is a nightmare. Anyway, turned the ignition and still nothing. If anyone's gone through this and knows the fix, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tool

Old 06-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Stampede
Senior User

What about an ignition switch??
Stampede

Old 06-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot

Have you guys carefully checked the battery terminals and grounds? Had the battery tested?

Old 06-08-2003, 12:18 PM
03XLT4x4 Flareside
Junior User

Could be a problem with the Passive anti-theft system. You might try a different key & see if that works. Could be a probem with the PATS module also. You could try connecting a remote starter button directly to the starter & see if the starter works that way.

Old 06-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Seniortoad
New User

Thanks everyone

Well , as I stated in a past email that I replaced the starter and I tried a bunch of things between. I gave up and brought it to Ford
anothe 240.00 later, there is another starter solenoid unter the hood.
And it's all fixed, it's been a week and so far no problem

Old 06-09-2003, 06:36 PM
woodtoolsindodg
New User

Racerguy had the right answers for me.

I wasn't careful enough and didn't notice the third wire that had completed corroded off the starter. It sprung back out of site. I put the old started back on, conneceted ALL the wires this time and it started no problem. Thanks for all the suggestions. This is one great site.

Tool