Oil & Lubrication  

sea foam tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
lonewolf777
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sea foam tranny

I just seen this - you add some in the tranny fluid - anyone ever use this?.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:09 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Yup, I've used a half can of SeaFoam Trans Tune in my 94 Taurus AXODE & 99 Ranger 5R55E trannies, for 3-4 days to stop hanging, up & down shifts, then did a pan drop, filter change & continued on with the other half can of Trans Tune & new fluid to refill the pan, to do a full tranny fluid pump out, by disconnecting the tranny fluid return line at the cooler & idling the engine, while shifting into all gears, while the tranny pump removed a couple of qts at a time out the disconnected return line.
Then stop the engine & add a couple of qts every 30 seconds & repeat, until the full tranny fluid capacity has been pumped out.

This proceedure will flush the valve body, torque converter, radiator, cooler & lines, where most of the old fluid remains, after just a pan drop.

The half can of Trans Tune will slowly dissolve & put into suspension tranny deposits, so the filter can grab them & thus tidy up the tranny innards of sludge, gum & varnish & continuing on with the full fluid pump out, a couple of qts at a time, will remove nearly all of the old fluid & small desolved deposits the tranny filter couldn't take out, all without clogging something important up & without running the tranny pump dry on the pump out, which it'll appreciate.

The Trans Tune won't get after or swell seals, gaskets, plastics, or corrode metal parts.

I've also used it to flush my power steering system, to stop intermittent loss of boost & intermittent shudder & got a quiet pump as a side benifit.

So, even though I've flushed my tranny & P/S systems every 30K miles, I ve apparently had slight deposits causing problems, so I've had good results using SeaFoam Trans Tune to tidy up what seems to have been slight deposit caused problems.

If you think or know the tranny is sludged up bad, maybe consider doing a pan drop to clean it out & a filter change first, then add half a can of Trans Tune to the pan refill, using an inexpensive fluid, like Super Tech, then drive it until the tranny stops acting out, then do another pan drop, filter change & the full fluid pumpout with a quality fluid of your choice.

Some thoughts for pondering. If you decide to try it, let us know how it goes.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
lonewolf777
Junior User
thanks for all the details.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used Sea Foam in an engine once. I personally did not see any difference. I hear guys rant & rave how great this product is but I never saw it. Personally I would change the fluid & filter. You can follow the directions above to flush it completely. I would add new fluid & filter the product that I have used & has been recommended by several tranny shops is LubeGard. Can be bought at NAPA stores I know. It lowers tranny temps it is a friction modifier.
I burned a 4L60E Chevy tranny so bad the fluid was black & blowing out the vent tube. I took it to a shop that had a trans flushing machine. I had them flush & change the filter. I figured I had no real choice other than rebuild it. So I thought a two hundred dollar risk was worth a try. Well it worked & we drove it for about 5,000 miles & I noticed the fluid was smelling a little so I had it done again & another filter & LubeGard. I added a B&M SuperCooler to the truck. That was 70,000 miles ago & it is still running OK. The truck now has 158,000 miles on it.
Craig

Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM
lovemy7.3!
Senior User
BG products IMHO makes the best tranny conditioner on the market. its sometimes hard to find but if you go to their website they have a store locater. it did wonders for my chevy 2500 i think its a 4L80E... ive since sold that truck but i run it in all of my auto trans vehicles with great results.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:12 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by lovemy7.3!
BG products IMHO makes the best tranny conditioner on the market. its sometimes hard to find but if you go to their website they have a store locater. it did wonders for my chevy 2500 i think its a 4L80E... ive since sold that truck but i run it in all of my auto trans vehicles with great results.
Never heard of them before. I did go on-line to check them out. There are so many different "fix in a can" products out there. I think sometimes it is all in our minds if they truly work.

Craig

Old 04-20-2011, 04:33 PM
lovemy7.3!
Senior User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
Never heard of them before. I did go on-line to check them out. There are so many different "fix in a can" products out there. I think sometimes it is all in our minds if they truly work.

Craig
you and me both. i was never into the snakeoil scam. but a friend put me on their products and i was way surprised by the results i got. and it made a big difference..not just a small one so i was sold. i havent tried all of their products but the engine flush, (109), the gas additive (44K) and the oil additive , i forget the #, all worked very well. ive used seafoam also in my filter canister on my 7.3 and it helped too. but im sticking with the BG for now. and its something i add to my fuel to substitute the lack of lubricant in diesel these days. i dont always flush with oil change. i also add the tranny conditioner every 35K when i drain and change the tranny filter. i think you can go overboard with some of this stuff and it gets a little pricey so each to his own i suppose.