Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

side projects. Whatcha been working on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've been fixing junk on my house as it breaks. First it was the condenser fan on the outside A/C unit. Took $125 and about 4 hours (had to remove the old rusty fan from the motor, frustrating as heck) but I managed to get it done.

Then I went downstairs to replace the furnace filter when I saw water spraying. The shut-off valve to the washer decided to randomly spring a leak and spray onto the replacement furnace filters which ruined them (ironic, huh?) and then some on floorboards. Managed to get it contained and shut water off to it. I'll be tackling that job this afternoon, luckily I have CPVC so it should take me less than an hour to splice in a new valve.

I literally have repaired/replaced EVERY friggin large appliance in my house now and I've only been there a couple years.....

Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
our tree that dropped a large limb back in early April, dropped another limb over the weekend, it wasn't even windy. I think it is just too heavy for the type of wood that it is. I am torn, I am considering cutting the whole tree, or maybe doing a major trimming on it.

I originally considered just letting it continuously trim itself, but now I am more concerned with the neighbors car, as he parks it directly underneath it for shade, and most of the weight of the tree has fallen on our side up to this point which means it will be both off balance in the event of wind, and potentially a problem with limbs falling on that side of the fence as well.

I have considered hooking the winch up to some of the limbs and pulling them down, controlling somewhat where they land, and fall, but am concerned the whole tree may fall.

I have been watering it, in case part of the problem is that it's not getting enough water on its own. This may be a double edged sword. It may be helping the tree to be stronger, but it might also be helping it to grow, which may be helping it to become more and more unstable.

I am torn, I really like that tree, but it may have to go.

It looks like Aug 18-21st I am going down to Wichita to work on my truck with Clint.
This.. I am truly excited about, I have been hoping, since it went down there, that I could find time to go down and work on it. With the new addition to the family, on call, and all the other things going on this summer, it has really been difficult to schedule the time, but finally we found some time!
Cut it down and plant a new one, you'll have plenty of firewood (no fireplace? camp wood).
Remember to take plenty of pictures while working on your truck.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
I'd probably take the tree out too Curtis. From what I remember it probably isn't very balance now. Maybe your neighbor would help or ask them if they want to risk leaving it.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
I believe I will take the tree down, I am considering doing a branch at a time, as long as it doesn't beat me to it, that way I can take the brush and put it by the trash can, and they will haul it off a little at a time.

The plus side, is... Hey I get to use my winch!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 106 Likes on 100 Posts
put in a new closer/chain system on the screen door, worked on replacing the muffler on the exploder, hooked up cable to the TV in the man cave, replaced the cable going to the office for the internet, cleaned up even more on the trailer, took the little one to the water park, went to church, went out to eat, and am just pooped-- quite a busy weekend.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Been working around the house going through stuff and cleaning out closets and drawers, ect. The boys moved my reloading bench and table up stairs. Built and painted shelves for those and have stuff organized. Fixxed the leg on the coffee table.

Adjusted the roof rack on Blac...............uh...................sompthin. So's I kin carry extra fuel up there and get at them a bit easier.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Got home last night around 7 and received a phone call from not one but 2 of my people who have been fighting with each other, on the phone for more then an hour yelling at each other. Both gave the empty threat of maybe quitting--

If i am going to be a referee i wish I had a whistle.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Wasn't me.

at least not this time. : )

I have been trying to figure it out. I don't have all the details yet, but I think I have some of the details.

Dec 21 2012..

There has been mention of zombies, I think I know who they are, and how they became zombies.

recently there has been talk of solar flares, and how they could effect electronics, so I thought to myself. What if people who depended on electronic items to live a normal life, were the zombies?

then it struck me... CPAP machines..

theory:

Solar flare fries all CPAP machines, people who rely on them to get a good night's sleep, can no longer sleep, they walk around day and night not able to sleep, and there ya have it.. Zombies.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Mowed the lawn this afternoon. The three wheeler is alive. Started up for the first time in three years on the third kick. Only ran for a few seconds as the float seems to be stuck and it was leaking gas out of the lower carb vent. Hope to have that fixed tomorrow, then all it needs is a new air filter and it'll be ready for break-in.

Tomorrow I plan on cleaning up the car to get ready for next week's Cheney car show. Clint and I are going over to my Aunt's house to detail her 64.5 Mustang to get it ready for the show too.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 PM
powerstroke F350
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too many projects to list not one is finished yet

Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The three wheeler is done. Fired up and ran for a while. Got the idle tuned in and took it for a few laps around the storage complex. Hope to get it out for break in shortly to really see how she runs. I've owned the trike half my life and am ecstatic to have it moving under it's own power again.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by itsabullitt
I've owned the trike half my life and am ecstatic to have it moving under it's own power again.
Much better then sitting on it going Bruuummmmm bruuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Anyone going to Wichita or Newton anytime soon from somewhere up north here?

I am trying to get Chad's trailer back to him, best plan we have so far, is if I pull it to Abilene, and leave it at Matt's or Justin's, and then when Chad is nearby, he can pick it up, but if someone is going that way, would you mind dropping it off for me at Chad's?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
I might be headed to the Newton/Mcpherson area next week for work.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Ok. will you have a hitch for a trailer?

Quick Reply: side projects. Whatcha been working on?