Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion on boggers build up

Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Dubbs19s
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech update...

Some friends mentioned to be they noticed the excursion was dog-tracking quite a bit , so I went under to investigate. I found out that the passenger side axle tube had rotated forwards and because of the block, was pushing the wheel back. It had actually changed my wheelbase by 1inch on the passenger side.

Here you can see how much the ubolts are angled in relation the ones on the other side.

This is with the spring sitting in its normal position...you can really see how much it has turned.

To fix this, we decided to just cut the spring perch off and re-weld it in the correct position. Using a digital level, we positioned the perch at the same angle as the good side and welded it back on.

Both tubes were also welded to the housing to ensure they don't twist again.

With that done, we tackled the hydro assist.

We decided to place the cylinder on top of the tie rod, with the brackets attaching to the main bracket for the track bar.

The steering boxed looked different, but everything bolted up.

While the steering was apart, I decided to upgrade my tranny cooler with a unit from a 6.0 diesel. I then replaced my power steering cooler with my old tranny cooler. It was recommended that I upgrade my power steering cooler because of the extra heat from the cylinder.

Here are the coolers.

Once everything was back together and a few leaks fixed, the truck steered awesome. Effort is very light, even when stopped, and the best part was the shimmy in the steering wheel was gone.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Nice work, great in depth info!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work. I don't relaly dig rock climbing, and can't say I'd choose the excursion for it if I did due to the long wheel base, but you look pretty hellbound determined to make it work. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Dubbs19s
Senior User
Originally Posted by JaySVX
Nice work. I don't relaly dig rock climbing, and can't say I'd choose the excursion for it if I did due to the long wheel base, but you look pretty hellbound determined to make it work. Good luck!
It all depends on the situation.....sometimes my wheelbase gives me a huge advantage over the jeeps i go out with

Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
You said the axle moved back because of the block. Did the spring perch break loose from the axle tube? I guess I don't understand how the perch came to be in the incorrect position.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by locknload223
You said the axle moved back because of the block. Did the spring perch break loose from the axle tube? I guess I don't understand how the perch came to be in the incorrect position.

The axle tube spun a little bit in the rear end housing because of the extra leverage the 'lift block' added between the spring pack and axle itself.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
The axle tube spun a little bit in the rear end housing because of the extra leverage the 'lift block' added between the spring pack and axle itself.
That was my interpretation as well. Just curious what will keep this from happening again or on the other side? Were the tube welds broken or is the tube itself twisted? Any idea WHEN this happened??

Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Dubbs19s
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
That was my interpretation as well. Just curious what will keep this from happening again or on the other side? Were the tube welds broken or is the tube itself twisted? Any idea WHEN this happened??
Yes the tube spot welds broke. To prevent it from happening again, they welded the all the way around the tube to the housing. This was also done on the other side.

I believe it happened when I broke the Ujoint caps off climbing the rock ledge. I later found evidence of the passenger rear tire hitting the back of the wheelwell and the driver side hitting the front of the wheelwell. This would indicate massive axle twisting forces, and i am lucky only the ubolt caps broke.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbs19s
and i am lucky only the ubolt caps broke.
Yep, sometimes its good to have a 'fuse' in the system that is inexpensive to repair!!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Did you check if the rear axle is strait yet? Lots of times when tubes turn even a little they also move out of line with the housing and other tube.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Dubbs19s
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Did you check if the rear axle is strait yet? Lots of times when tubes turn even a little they also move out of line with the housing and other tube.
I didnt check to see if the axle was straight, but I did measure the distance between the front and rear axle....they were within 1/8" of each other

Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Dubbs19s
Senior User
I finally got to try out some mud, and it was the good stuff.....thick,heavy, grey clay, that sticks to everything. This was taken after I backed out half way until something broke in the left front wheel. It was either my stub shaft or the warn hub, because the axle was still turning under power, but the wheel was not

I'll post up the vid soon

Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
That looks like some serious fun!! I'd be to scared to wheel my daily driver that hard

Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And OH the clean up - all the ex's fluids are now mixed with mud and that stuff can find some unbelievable hiding places

Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
scottf4444
Elder User
Just saw your thread today and NICE JOB! Love the build and the fact that you REALLY off-road it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excursion on boggers build up